1 2
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/18/18 10:16 a.m.

I've been driving a ton of cars and I figured I would report in. The purpose of the car is a fun, automatic car that could, in theory, fit four adults. A secondary purpose is to own a muscle car, since I've actually never owned one, but that isn't critical. Cars are not listed in the order they were driven. Budget is 35k, at the upper limit, and I'm trying to go new or as close to it as I can.

1. 2015 Chevrolet SS - This was my favorite car out of the bunch. If the car was any color other than black, I probably would have started working on financing options. It felt like a grown up Camaro. Further research may be required. This was a seriously good car. I worry about the cost of consumables and availability of replacement parts down the road. 

2. New Camaro 1SS with automatic transmission:  Plenty of power, very sharp turn in, suspension sporty without being harsh. I did get the electronic nanny to come on while making a right from a stop onto a 4 lane divided highway, and the engagement is kind of abrupt. I apologized to the salesperson.  There is no real back seat. 

3. New Mustang GT, Premium- We went in the premium because the sales guy didn't have to move a ton of cars to take it out. Overall, it felt softer than the Camaro, had just as little back seat and didn't give me the fizz nearly as much. Driving a track pack might change this.

4. New Focus RS - this was just sitting there, and they let me take it out since I asked nicely and have grey hair. I couldn't drive it in anger the way I would probably want to. Based on this, I could not justify buying one over, say, a Golf GTI if I were to go that route.

5. New Dodge Charger R/T - Big, and it felt fat. Probably the most practical car out of the bunch. I would probably feel cheated if I got one of these and didn't get the Scat Pack. I did notice they depreciate like a fricking rock, too. Like, there were two year old models for 50% of the sticker price on the used lot next door. Combine these factors together, and a used SRT8 is probably the way to go if we go here.

6. 2017 WRX, CVT-  This is the first car I drove before I decided I wanted to give a muscle car a try. The test drive actually made me angry due to the way the transmission was shifting. I cut it short and advised the sales person that while it wasn't his fault in any way,  there was absolutely no way I would ever own a WRX with a CVT in it. I can't stress enough how much of a disappointment this was.

I'm open to suggestions on other things to try. 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
1/18/18 11:12 a.m.

How about used AMG E63 Mercedes?  They are basically muscle cars with a giant engine, but very very nice inside.  Massive depreciation is your friend on these.  I’ve found mine to be quite easy to work on and there is more of a DIY community that you would think.  It is also amazing a crossing continents with 4 people plus luggage, with you feeling refreshed at the end of 1000 mile days.  

STM317
STM317 Dork
1/18/18 11:15 a.m.

You can get some nice deals on lightly used Cadillac CTS. They're supposed to have a really nice RWD chassis, but may not be "Muscle car" enough. Chevy SS are well within your price range, and might be more your style if you liked the Camaro, but want more back seat.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/18/18 11:19 a.m.

The Challenger has the most interior room of the new two door muscle cars. It's still going to probably feel fat compared to the others but in my opinion it is by far the most handsome. It would be my pick out of the three American options. However the new bullit mustang has that special something. Not sure about pricing however.

Brett_Murphy
1/18/18 12:31 p.m.

Sonic- I shudder to think at the cost of running an AMG anything. Imports are not off the table, though.

STM317- No used CTS-Vs around, which was a shame.

Nick- On the Dodge front, the Charger comes with four actual doors and more room in the back seat. That gives it a leg up on the Challenger. Blasphemy, I know. On a more practical level, the Challengers are more expensive for what is pretty much the same car underneath.

Sonolin
Sonolin New Reader
1/18/18 12:51 p.m.

I'd go either Challenger or SS, depending on if you like 4 doors. You should definitely be able to find a Scat Pack (used) for $35k, that would be my first pick.

Charger is a good option (especially used), but I just can't stand the styling personally.

Now I just have to find the patience to save up for one of these myself. Would be a good companion to the FRS.

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
1/18/18 1:11 p.m.

My brother has an SRT 8 Challenger.  He special ordered it with no sunroof, which is apparently standard on the SRT, did not dig the nav system or the sunroof.  Good looking car, VERY fast and surprisingly competent in the braking and handling departments.   He loves that thing, but he is a Mopar guy through and through.

STM317
STM317 Dork
1/18/18 2:18 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

Well, I wasn't specifically thinking about the CTS-V as ones in your price range would be several years old now. I was thinking more like the current Gen CTS in V-Sport trim or something. It's not going to have a V8, but I didn't see that in the requirements, and neither did the WRX or Focus RS you were interested in.

Sonolin
Sonolin New Reader
1/18/18 2:22 p.m.

Forgot about the CTS-V. An older used one is likely a decent choice, IMO. Not sure why that would be disqualified for a muscle-car cruiser. The only thing that makes me think twice about these are the fragile rear ends (I know myself and I wouldn't be able to resist burnouts and launches with a RWD v8).

8valve
8valve New Reader
1/18/18 2:23 p.m.

If you have the means, and if the SS is a manual, get it.. I would. 

Brett_Murphy
1/23/18 9:19 p.m.

Currently engaging in serious budgetary considerations. More updates if they happen.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
1/23/18 9:51 p.m.

What about the G8 RWD V8 and a proper gear box. You would save quite a bit of cash as well.

Casual Six
Casual Six UltraDork
1/24/18 12:30 p.m.

The previous-generation C63 AMG is one of the best muscle cars I've ever driven. I'd recommend trying one.

Brett_Murphy
1/25/18 10:05 p.m.
Donebrokeit said:

What about the G8 RWD V8 and a proper gear box. You would save quite a bit of cash as well.

Thanks! I did not even CONSIDER a Pontiac G8. Earlier version of the Chevy SS Chassis, but it was in production for longer, too, so maybe parts won't be a complete killer.

Might have to hit the ads during lunch tomorrow.

Brett_Murphy
1/25/18 10:06 p.m.

Also, two votes for an AMG  C63. I might have to see if I can find one.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
1/25/18 10:08 p.m.

Doug DeMuro had a glowing report on the Chevy SS,watch it here 

QfJjH4oZDTA

Rodan
Rodan Reader
1/26/18 7:44 a.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

Just wanted to add I've seen the SS in person in that orange color in the video...  the video doesn't remotely do it justice.  In person that color is fantastic!

We owned a G8 for a while, and I really liked it a lot.  The interior was cheap, and it wasn't quite a complete package.  I think the SS has solved those issues.  G8 values have stayed pretty strong, so the SS should hold it's value well once they stop selling them.

IMHO, a SCAT/SRT Charger is where I would probably end up if buying new, and I wanted 4 doors and a V8.  I'm actually thinking about a used Hellcat Charger in a couple of years if they get down to the mid 40s.

Brett_Murphy
1/30/18 8:11 p.m.

There was a gnarly purple Challenger with some kind of shaker hood for sale down the street, but it was gone by the time I decided to look at it. However, it did look completely badass. As Nick pointed out, it may have enough room, as it is a bit smaller than the Charger but larger than the other pony cars. Instead of discounting it out of hand, it's worth a look, I guess. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/30/18 8:32 p.m.

I think the issue with the challengers and chargers is that they weigh 600ish lbs more than the other options. a 2018 R/T Scat Pack weighs 4250 lbs, the 2018 Camaro SS weighs 3680, a 2018 Mustang GT weighs 3700.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/30/18 9:21 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

There was a gnarly purple Challenger with some kind of shaker hood for sale down the street, but it was gone by the time I decided to look at it. However, it did look completely badass. As Nick pointed out, it may have enough room, as it is a bit smaller than the Charger but larger than the other pony cars. Instead of discounting it out of hand, it's worth a look, I guess. 

If you are not opposed to four doors then the Charger makes sense. I am opposed to four doors so to me if I were looking for room in the backseat then the Challenger wins out of the new batch of American coupes. I've been in the back of a new Camaro and at 6' I had no headroom and no legroom. I haven't sat in the back of a Mustang but from the looks of it the legroom is no better but it probably has better headroom.

Yes it has the weight and footprint of a fullsize SUV and it's not a sports car but I think it would make a terrific daily and touring car.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
1/31/18 6:04 a.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

Back if the mustang is laughable. I hated going on test drives in it because there isn't a graceful way to get back out. You sorta just fall out into the parking lot like someone tipped over a jar that you were mushed into. 

Rodan
Rodan Reader
1/31/18 6:22 a.m.

We test drove a '16 Mustang GT Premium 'Vert a while back...  it was pretty underwhelming.  400hp isn't as much as it sounds like when you're pushing 4k lbs.

We also looked at a Camaro SS... love the look, and the performance, but the outward visibility is so bad we didn't even test drive it.

A Charger is probably where our money would go if we were looking at new V8 cars right now.  Although I really like the new Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, they're pushing $100k... not a chance in hell that's happening!  That could be the ultimate DD, though.

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
1/31/18 8:34 a.m.

As for a slightly different take, have you tried the Kia Stinger GT?

NickD
NickD UltraDork
1/31/18 8:45 a.m.
Rodan said:

We test drove a '16 Mustang GT Premium 'Vert a while back...  it was pretty underwhelming.  400hp isn't as much as it sounds like when you're pushing 4k lbs.

We also looked at a Camaro SS... love the look, and the performance, but the outward visibility is so bad we didn't even test drive it.

That's my gripe about the Mustang. Rode in a '16 GT Performance Pack at an autocross and it didn't seem like it was 444hp. In fact, every Coyote Mustang I've ridden in always feels really soft down low, likely a result of that smaller displacement. I'd gladly trade off that top end for a little more down low. GM's LT1 revs to redline just fine and is a real belter down low, like what a musclecar engine should feel like. And while it didn't seem like I was feeling every horsepower, I certainly felt every one of it's ~4000lbs. It required a lot of patience because you would make an input and it would heave and wallow around and you would have to wait forever for it to settle and then make your next input. The 5th-gen Camaro was just as porky but it always felt lighter on its feet.

The Camaro visibility is something you adapt to quickly. Spent a lot of time in 5th gens and when you first get in it's a case of "Damn, I can't see E36 M3". Get out on the road and within 5 minutes you settle in and figure out it's actually not bad once you get situated. At least in my case, and I'm 6'3"

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/31/18 9:07 a.m.
NickD said:
Rodan said:

That's my gripe about the Mustang. Rode in a '16 GT Performance Pack at an autocross and it didn't seem like it was 444hp. In fact, every Coyote Mustang I've ridden in always feels really soft down low, likely a result of that smaller displacement. I'd gladly trade off that top end for a little more down low. GM's LT1 revs to redline just fine and is a real belter down low, like what a musclecar engine should feel like. And while it didn't seem like I was feeling every horsepower, I certainly felt every one of it's ~4000lbs. It required a lot of patience because you would make an input and it would heave and wallow around and you would have to wait forever for it to settle and then make your next input. The 5th-gen Camaro was just as porky but it always felt lighter on its feet.

The Camaro visibility is something you adapt to quickly. Spent a lot of time in 5th gens and when you first get in it's a case of "Damn, I can't see E36 M3". Get out on the road and within 5 minutes you settle in and figure out it's actually not bad once you get situated. At least in my case, and I'm 6'3"

Drive the 1LE. 

It definitely doesn't heave and wallow around.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TGFH5Jo5mCm99yveKAB4rZPZdMkbB9vKRxhypwj0UDCaxXe1JkmUanhQ4PwZb082