doitover
doitover New Reader
7/29/08 9:15 a.m.

I'm thinking about replacing my MINI with a Civic.

I know there have been a ton of articles on these over the years but I haven't paid that much attention. Any pointers for information?

In particular, unmolested SI's seem to be pretty hard to come by. How much do you give up with the other trim levels?

integraguy
integraguy Reader
7/29/08 12:04 p.m.

In some years, I'd have to look this up, the EX trim level has about the same engine as the Si but gives you the option of a 2 door coupe or a 4 door sedan. For that matter, the 3rd generation of the wagovan ('88 to '91) had the Si's engine....so you have a few alternatives when it comes to body styles.

Because unmolested Si's are hard to find, and because they are lighter (no sunroof) most folks opt for a DX or CX hatch...assuming you are going the hatch route, and drop a B16 or B18 engine into it. The major loss with a DX or CX is the brakes are non-ABS, versus the ABS of the LATER model Si's.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
7/29/08 12:20 p.m.

Depends on the year. The '99-'00 Si had a B16 motor when the EX had a single cam D16. With fifth generation Civics, both were single cam D16s.

sanman
sanman New Reader
7/29/08 1:14 p.m.

I believe that the '92-95 ex coupe/sedan had the same engine as the si hatch. However, the ex had rear drums and the si had rear disc brakes. THE EF and EK civics had bigger engines in the Si.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/29/08 2:23 p.m.

Add 92-95 CiViC Si complete front suspension and engine placed in the rear (mid actually) of a Atom style car with a Miata front suspension.

Fat guy shivers.

oldschoolimport
oldschoolimport New Reader
7/29/08 5:20 p.m.

upgrading a cx/dx/lx to SI specs is usually pretty easy. lots of us Si folks upgrade to integra brakes and such, so its not a major loss if you don't land an SI. Si parts are readily available. I'm building a torsion bar Si (86), and have ditched the entire Si suspension/brakes/suspension, for 1st gen teg parts. if you get an 88-91 civic, you can use 2nd gen teg brakes and suspension. IIRC, the 91 crx Si was the only 88-91 that came with rear discs, so using teg parts would be a viable option if it fits in your class structure.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
7/30/08 12:14 a.m.

night and day difference between 5th gen and 6th gen in terms of refinement.

An Si coupe is an EX coupe w/ a stiffer suspension, 33 more hp, 8000rpm redline (vs 7200 in the EX), rear discs (no ABS), 15" wheels and a few nicer interior appointments (the stock seats are atrocious, though)

Si requires premium and spins (comfortably) at 4k rpm @70mph.

WAY quieter/more solid than a 5th gen CX/DX.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7vgUqtSGkt7XxqNPWCKAvsjKfEAtBsZUqgRF6qKm59Js9CN7CuVccUokCAOP85gJ