Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/5/19 4:59 p.m.

So Doug DeMuro has made a living off of reviewing new cars and pointing out all the weird stuff in them. I've been reading his articles since pre-Jalopnik days and and watching his videos since he started, but sometimes when he does the older stuff he gets some things wrong or misses items. Just Wednesday he made a review of the Ford Bronco:

Not bad, but also not entirely accurate. That Bronco had some aftermarket parts that Doug didn't know about, plus he missed some things, so I made my own rebuttal video!

What do you think?

TopNoodles
TopNoodles New Reader
7/5/19 7:14 p.m.

Good video, audio could be better. Had to turn the volume up and down a few times throughout the video. Maybe for the wide shots just use audio recorded up close and show B-roll shots of the features you're talking about. Also you said it was easy to get into the back seat but then cut right before you stepped in!

Great idea to give perspective from a real owner, to add to the observations of someone who has only been in the car for a day.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/5/19 7:51 p.m.

I wonder if he will respond. He seems like a decent guy. I would by him a beer. 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/5/19 7:55 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I hope so, and he is a good guy. I posted my video link in a reply on his, I imagine likes and comments on that reply will get his attention.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/5/19 7:57 p.m.

In reply to TopNoodles :

Thanks! I'm using a free editor and a $100 camera, so my equipment isn't exactly up to par. I tried lowering the b-roll audio down to 60%, but it wasn't enough. Thank you sincerely, I always appreciate feedback! 

(I cut the part of me getting in because plumber's crack blush)

Mike
Mike SuperDork
7/5/19 11:20 p.m.

I can't really watch now. I'll have to see it in the morning. Good choice of video though. I had a few issues too - like his comments on top removal - on a 1996!

I've had some Twitter conversations with Doug. He seems to be a really great person.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/6/19 6:19 a.m.

How did you resist the urge to speak in your video with the same awkward cadence that Doug uses in his videos. 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
7/6/19 7:08 a.m.

As a 93 Lightning owner I was nodding and laughing at Doug's description of the terrible door trim panels. The thing I like least about my truck (aside from the ultra-vague steering) is the interior trim plastics. Keep them tight and they crack. Turn the screws back a smidge so they won't break and everything squeaks. I vastly prefer the older ones with more painted metal in the cab.

The wheels on Doug's sample Bronco were not aftermarket. They were a optional wheel you'll see on thousands of F series trucks. American Racing did make a very similar wheel that everyone bought back then. The center cap gives them away as OEM on Doug's Bronco.

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
7/6/19 7:53 a.m.

In reply to Javelin : 

what editor are are you using?  Davinci resolve is free and the operations are pretty close to premier if you want to step up later on  

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/6/19 8:34 a.m.

In reply to Strizzo :

Open Shot

grover
grover HalfDork
7/6/19 9:38 a.m.

let me know if you ever want to get rid of that one Javelin, that's the color combo my wife would like.  

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/6/19 10:19 a.m.

In reply to grover :

It's for sale right now!!

Rodan
Rodan Dork
7/6/19 10:55 a.m.
ddavidv said:

The wheels on Doug's sample Bronco were not aftermarket. They were a optional wheel you'll see on thousands of F series trucks. American Racing did make a very similar wheel that everyone bought back then. The center cap gives them away as OEM on Doug's Bronco.

There were also two versions... one with all the rivets, and one without.  Our '92 Eddie Bauer had the latter when we acquired it...

slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/6/19 12:16 p.m.

Too bad Doug didn't factor in off-roading into the "fun" factor...I feel like he could have given it at least a 6 for that.

My dad had a blue with white top '95 and the 10-hole wheels. I'm always on the lookout for another one like that, but finding one without rust is a challenge around here.

Our Preferred Partners
WUSimh6fbTy3UU4MTIlK6D1xgHQAeGTPvjiAwscXfk2sXwPLCcpdeuD15aJtXZ2l