Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/19 4:59 p.m.

So Doug DeMuro has made a living off of reviewing new cars and pointing out all the weird stuff in them. I've been reading his articles since pre-Jalopnik days and and watching his videos since he started, but sometimes when he does the older stuff he gets some things wrong or misses items. Just Wednesday he made a review of the Ford Bronco:

Not bad, but also not entirely accurate. That Bronco had some aftermarket parts that Doug didn't know about, plus he missed some things, so I made my own rebuttal video!

What do you think?

TopNoodles
TopNoodles New Reader
7/5/19 7:14 p.m.

Good video, audio could be better. Had to turn the volume up and down a few times throughout the video. Maybe for the wide shots just use audio recorded up close and show B-roll shots of the features you're talking about. Also you said it was easy to get into the back seat but then cut right before you stepped in!

Great idea to give perspective from a real owner, to add to the observations of someone who has only been in the car for a day.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/19 7:51 p.m.

I wonder if he will respond. He seems like a decent guy. I would by him a beer. 

Javelin
7/5/19 7:55 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I hope so, and he is a good guy. I posted my video link in a reply on his, I imagine likes and comments on that reply will get his attention.

Javelin
7/5/19 7:57 p.m.

In reply to TopNoodles :

Thanks! I'm using a free editor and a $100 camera, so my equipment isn't exactly up to par. I tried lowering the b-roll audio down to 60%, but it wasn't enough. Thank you sincerely, I always appreciate feedback! 

(I cut the part of me getting in because plumber's crack blush)

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/5/19 11:20 p.m.

I can't really watch now. I'll have to see it in the morning. Good choice of video though. I had a few issues too - like his comments on top removal - on a 1996!

I've had some Twitter conversations with Doug. He seems to be a really great person.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/6/19 6:19 a.m.

How did you resist the urge to speak in your video with the same awkward cadence that Doug uses in his videos. 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
7/6/19 7:08 a.m.

As a 93 Lightning owner I was nodding and laughing at Doug's description of the terrible door trim panels. The thing I like least about my truck (aside from the ultra-vague steering) is the interior trim plastics. Keep them tight and they crack. Turn the screws back a smidge so they won't break and everything squeaks. I vastly prefer the older ones with more painted metal in the cab.

The wheels on Doug's sample Bronco were not aftermarket. They were a optional wheel you'll see on thousands of F series trucks. American Racing did make a very similar wheel that everyone bought back then. The center cap gives them away as OEM on Doug's Bronco.

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
7/6/19 7:53 a.m.

In reply to Javelin : 

what editor are are you using?  Davinci resolve is free and the operations are pretty close to premier if you want to step up later on  

Javelin
7/6/19 8:34 a.m.

In reply to Strizzo :

Open Shot

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/6/19 9:38 a.m.

let me know if you ever want to get rid of that one Javelin, that's the color combo my wife would like.  

Javelin
7/6/19 10:19 a.m.

In reply to grover :

It's for sale right now!!

Rodan
Rodan Dork
7/6/19 10:55 a.m.
ddavidv said:

The wheels on Doug's sample Bronco were not aftermarket. They were a optional wheel you'll see on thousands of F series trucks. American Racing did make a very similar wheel that everyone bought back then. The center cap gives them away as OEM on Doug's Bronco.

There were also two versions... one with all the rivets, and one without.  Our '92 Eddie Bauer had the latter when we acquired it...

slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/6/19 12:16 p.m.

Too bad Doug didn't factor in off-roading into the "fun" factor...I feel like he could have given it at least a 6 for that.

My dad had a blue with white top '95 and the 10-hole wheels. I'm always on the lookout for another one like that, but finding one without rust is a challenge around here.

Javelin
7/29/19 11:36 a.m.

I made a miniature version of the Bronco!

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
7/29/19 7:55 p.m.

Javelin, I watched your rebuttal video, and you had a few errors:

The '96 Bronco has factory wheels, although they are for an earlier truck, such as a '91. The aluminum wheel for '96 didn't have fake rivets.

The automatic hub lock on a pre-'97 truck was not a pulse vacuum hub lock, it used the rotation of the axle to lock in. 

The manual hublocks on your truck are factory Ford parts, not Warn. The design is the same, but Ford locks had red selectors. 

The only difference between the wheel that Doug's video showed and a factory front wheel was that the center cap on the front wheel has a hole for the hub lock to poke through. They did that on the Bronco that he showed, he just didn't showcase it. 

The external spare and carpeted tailgate were purely a function of what option boxes were ticked, or what package you had, not year. I have seen 1989 Eddie Bauer Broncos, and other earlier lesser Broncos with external spares. It was a trade-off for more internal room. 

You laid your hand on the jack handle, which is across the rad support, but missed pointing it out. 

Also, the wonky gap between your front bumper and front fender is because your front end took a whack at some point in its life. See below for proper bumper gap, and a black Warn hublock. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
7/29/19 8:16 p.m.

I only just found out about this Doug guy earlier today.  Scotty Kilmer had a bone to pick with him about product endorsement - even put the guys name in the title of the video.  So I searched for his videos.  Lots of cars I'll never be around never mind own.

Funnily some kid was also doing a rebuttal video concerning the '20 hybrid 'rolla. 

When the kid mentioned some snarky Doug comment about keeping the dealer license frame ( something I hate too ) and then started fawning over the sharp angles of the Corollas front bumper cover I thought to myself maybe this Doug guy isn't so bad.

Won't make me watch any of his videos though. smiley

Javelin
7/30/19 8:32 a.m.

In reply to snailmont5oh :

Thank you! Someone had pointed out most of those to me on YouTube and I highlighted their comment and thanked them. The wheel thing threw me through a loop, who puts older wheels on? 

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
7/30/19 12:32 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I would imagine with the front end damage that snailmont pointed out, a wheel wound up damaged and someone purchased a matching set from a junk yard?

Maybe called the junkyard, asked for Bronco wheels and walked out with what you have today.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
7/30/19 1:21 p.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to snailmont5oh :

Thank you! Someone had pointed out most of those to me on YouTube and I highlighted their comment and thanked them. The wheel thing threw me through a loop, who puts older wheels on? 

Funny you should say that, because the picture I included is of my '96 F-150 with '91 F-150 wheels on it.  When I got the '96, it had those silly-looking chrome swept-spoke wheels, which I hated. I had brand-new tires on the '91 wheels, so I swapped. Then, I got a set of American Racing damn-near exact replicas of the 91 wheels, and used the ones pictured for winter wheels. The reason they look like crap is because I tried blasting them, then clearing over the blast. It didn't go well. 

Javelin
7/30/19 1:55 p.m.

In reply to BoostedBrandon :

My wheels are aftermarket 17's and I bought them. The 96 Doug reviewed had factory 92 wheels, which is why I thought they were aftermarket (as they were available aftermarket).

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/30/19 2:46 p.m.

That guy’s cheesy 80’s weatherman delivery makes me want to stab my ears out with a soldering iron.

So you got THAT goin for ya.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
7/30/19 3:10 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

His video about the Aston Martin Lagonda is downright painful.

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
7/30/19 3:49 p.m.

You guys are just a wealth of Bronco trivia.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/30/19 6:33 p.m.
ShawnG said:

In reply to poopshovel again :

His video about the Aston Martin Lagonda is downright painful.

Lagoooooooooondaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lt3xjzEPmNIxo0K6hOe9DIiIZMU0RUIUQJN0FKm44rzBsm8LJLGA2CStPVqWGdQd