1 2 3
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/17 7:25 p.m.

The hot season is upon us unfortunately. The Abomination is fixing to be a very uncomfortable place to be. I did a lot of insulating to keep some of the heat out of the drivers compartment, but now it's time for active driver cooling.

I'm thinking about a variation of the cool suit. Call it a cool seat. Rather than hoses that have to be disconnected every time you want to exit the vehicle, I'm thinking about running the cool lines through the seat and maybe also a loop down the belts.

Tell me why this won't work. Or why it will.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/22/17 7:40 p.m.

Subbed. Relevant to my project.

And maybe my daily.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/17 7:56 p.m.

That's a pretty good idea.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/17 7:57 p.m.

I'm thinking seat-back vs. seat-base.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
5/22/17 8:03 p.m.

Are you wearing a suit? Will it be too thick to get any of the cooling off of the seat?

Burrito
Burrito Dork
5/22/17 8:16 p.m.
Chadeux wrote: Are you wearing a suit? Will it be too thick to get any of the cooling off of the seat?

I think he's more of a Tuxedo guy.

Toyman01
5/22/17 8:35 p.m.

For autocross, I wear shorts and a moisture wicking shirt.

I've ordered enough stuff to do the back and the bottom if necessary. I'm hoping to have it built and installed by Sunday's autocross.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
5/22/17 8:38 p.m.

Ok then I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work then.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/17 8:42 p.m.

It's been done before for a LeMons car, by someone on this board. Like you said, same as a cool shirt, but the tubing runs under the surface of the seat.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
5/22/17 9:11 p.m.

Yup. Just do a build thread when you do it. Cool seat + shade when in the paddock and you should be able to remain quite comfortable.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/22/17 11:04 p.m.

I've read about a few chump/lemons teams that tried that. It works okay, but not as good as a cool suit. I think I read that it was about 50% as effective. Honestly, for an autocross run, that's probably good enough :)

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
5/23/17 8:39 a.m.

Hmm... What about implementing one of those fancy ventilated seats? Blowing some air through the seat from under you would likely do quite a bit to cool things down. If you can live with a little weight gain, that could even be air conditioned...

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
5/23/17 10:02 a.m.

Hate to sound rude, but honestly I'd just say suck it up buttercup. It's autox, you're going to be in the car for a matter of minutes, and the run itself is what...30 seconds, 60 seconds? You're also probably not wearing a driving suit, so you can wear shorts and a t-shirt.

I know some teams in LeMons that have done what you mentioned and had decent success, but not "great". I wouldn't put anything in the harness, I'd be worried about getting tangled or the lines pinching.

Even if you did that, do you really want to put something like a cooler full of ice water in the car, especially in autox? Remember, autox is a lot of quick left, right, left, one after the other. You're going to get an awful lot of sloshing around. It shouldn't spill in the car, but still could be distracting.

Really, I'd just hydrate and deal with it. Way back when, I used to autox my FFR Cobra in the middle of Philly summers. It was hot...351W engine with little cabin insulation and exhaust right next to the doors. I'd stay in the shade as long as I could, and once when I was really hot, just kept an umbrella with me that I'd hand off right before I was getting ready for my run.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/23/17 10:38 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: For autocross, I wear shorts and a moisture wicking shirt. I've ordered enough stuff to do the back and the bottom if necessary. I'm hoping to have it built and installed by Sunday's autocross.

If you already ordered the parts, why did you ask us if it would work?

Ricky Spanish
Ricky Spanish Reader
5/23/17 10:47 a.m.

Useful or not - Saab and maybe some other people had air conditioned seats. Might be worth looking into.

My main concern with all of this is gonna be added weight.

Toyman01
5/23/17 10:47 a.m.

In reply to Klayfish:

I've been sucking it up for a lot of years, I'm past that point in my life.

Our run groups are usually around two hours of sitting in hell's chariot. 2nd degree burns off of the transmission tunnel are common. The summer months are 95+ degrees and 95+% humidity and the modified classes always run in the hottest part of the day. Since I have the ability to make it moderately comfortable, why wouldn't I.

Yes, I really want a cooler of ice and water in the car. Sloshing being distracting won't be a problem. Have you ever driven a uncorked rotary at 6K rpms and up. You can't hear yourself think, much less anything else.

Toyman01
5/23/17 10:49 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

I'm reasonably certain it will work, I'm just hoping some of you had already tackled this issue and had some pointers.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/23/17 10:58 a.m.

Thanks for reminding me of why I want to stay in Street Prepared with a car that has functioning A/C.

Gaunt596
Gaunt596 New Reader
5/23/17 11:08 a.m.

Go get yourself a trailer roof vent, the little aluminum popup ones, and make a small vent somewhere else for the air to escapr. Install roof vent right above your head so the air hits your face. Boom, nice 20* or more cabin temp reduction.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
5/23/17 11:10 a.m.
Gaunt596 wrote: Go get yourself a trailer roof vent, the little aluminum popup ones, and make a small vent somewhere else for the air to escapr. Install roof vent right above your head so the air hits your face. Boom, nice 20* or more cabin temp reduction.

I think his car would be quite difficult to put a roof vent in.

appliance_racer
appliance_racer Reader
5/23/17 11:23 a.m.

Most of the cheaper "A/C" seat are actually just a blower that pushes air through the seat foam. I rigged one up in my DD car and love it. The blower is a straight 12v and ground with a switch. The blower is only a pound or two.

There are more elaborate seat cooling systems with components that actually do some cooling, but probably not necessary for this project.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
5/23/17 11:28 a.m.

I think your idea will work wonderfully with the clothes you are wearing. You are at worst 1 layer away from the cold source in your upper body and that layer will likely be wet from sweat to help with transfer (at least in your lower back).

Have you considered an easily stowable shade source (like an umbrella) to have over you while you sit in the car waiting for your run?

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
5/23/17 11:29 a.m.

Want a wacky idea? Use a Peltier devices (Thermo-Electric Cooler (TEC)) and just remember to heat sink the hot side or they'll die quickly. You could even use the water cooled heat exchangers for CPUs and run it to an external radiator. Run everything off of 12v.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
5/23/17 11:29 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to Klayfish: I've been sucking it up for a lot of years, I'm past that point in my life. Our run groups are usually around two hours of sitting in hell's chariot. 2nd degree burns off of the transmission tunnel are common. The summer months are 95+ degrees and 95+% humidity and the modified classes always run in the hottest part of the day. Since I have the ability to make it moderately comfortable, why wouldn't I. Yes, I really want a cooler of ice and water in the car. Sloshing being distracting won't be a problem. Have you ever driven a uncorked rotary at 6K rpms and up. You can't hear yourself think, much less anything else.

Damn! Maybe autox has changed a lot over the years since I've done it. I don't ever recall sitting in the car for more than maybe 10 minutes at a stretch. We didn't get in the car until it was relatively shortly before it was our turn to go....there were maybe 10 cars in line at a given time. Never sat in the car for 2 hours at autox, that's for sure.

If you're really sitting in the car that long with the engine running and no chance to get out, then just do a proper cooling system. Don't know if this is legal in autox, but in LeMons we all have cool shirts. They aren't that expensive. It's the cool box that's really expensive. We have an Igloo cooler that has a small bilge pump mounted at the bottom, and we strap it securely into the passenger side of the car. Works great, I love it.

I know the burn on the legs feeling...I burned my calf once or twice getting out of the Cobra.

Haven't driven an uncorked rotary, but raced next to one many times. Loud isn't the word I'd use...hearing loss guaranteed is a better description.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
5/23/17 11:32 a.m.

It's been a long time since I've been forced to auto-x a car without AC.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0Zsgk7t8t684nR4Q8TtEU1RsWmbg86oLAOzC2zvyBrA4NpcuK3rbuWzP5dJvDIhv