1 2
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/22/19 10:18 p.m.

SC you just put the tag from another car you INTEND TO TRANSFER FROM. 

They will actually transfer the registration, including the remains of the time valid on the old vehicle. 

Call your insurance company ASAP (But your coverage transfers automatically for a short period of time)

You will have to pay your sales taxes at your county tax assessor’s office, then bring the receipt to the DMV (those are 2 different offices). 

Good luck!

You didn’t tell us what type of car... wink

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/19 6:48 a.m.

I've done it all ways.  Drove with no plate, which got my friend pulled over but was let go with an admonishment that a state trooper would have impounded the car.

Acquired title in advance and got a temp tag to drive home on.

And, the last time I did it, I cheated.  I was working somewhere where we had a dealer tag so we could drive unregistered customer cars for the purpose of transport and road testing.  (You get that a lot when working on restorations, classics, drag cars, and hot rods)  So, I had a work order written up for "new purchase inspection" with the new car's VIN and my name, and I stuck the dealer plate on teh R when I picked it up.   Carried a copy of the work order with me, and drove with the dealer tag.  For, as circumstances required, about three weeks...

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
11/23/19 7:56 a.m.

Easiest way in Sconnie

• Signed title by buyer and seller, no plates, valid insurance (Progressive gives you a grace period for a few days after purchase if you are already a progressive customer so you don't even have to call or put it on your insurance BUT if you get stopped it will be harder to prove you have insurance.  Progressive's website is pretty great so you can add insurance via your phone or from your PC before you go pick the car up)
  • Current registered Wisconsin plates to something you (or your wife, in Wisconsin) own and send it.  If you get stopped tell the cops you bought it a few days ago and mailed in the title transfer form.  Keep a copy of the MV1 with the pertinent info with you and you are GTG.  This is a great way to go if you want to keep the title open.  

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/19 8:07 a.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

Oh yeah, that was the other thing - while my friend was driving me up to pick up the car in increasingly cold and precipitatey conditions, I was on the phone with my insurance company to get the car on my policy.

Even opted for comprehensive theft/collision coverage and roadside assistance, because I was that paranoid about things.

Daeldalus
Daeldalus Reader
11/23/19 8:09 a.m.
SVreX said:

Good luck!

You didn’t tell us what type of car... wink

Yeah..... i am kinda superstitious about it. I am hoping the car doesn't sell before i get a chance to go see it. 

sergio
sergio Reader
11/23/19 10:33 a.m.

Bought an RX7 on BaT from California. With the P.O. plates, title, and bank transfer paperwork, drove it from LA to Houston without any problems. Even going thru the border check point in Sierra Blanca east of El Paso was trouble free. Those guys have all kinds of electronics and dogs to pass thru, they didn't blink an eye. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/23/19 2:12 p.m.

I recently bought a car from Minnesota and drove it to Ohio. I picked it up Saturday morning the PO drove me to the BMV or whatever it's called in Minnesota got a temp tag and then I drive it home.

Nugi
Nugi Reader
11/23/19 4:05 p.m.

In reply to Daeldalus :

Almost all states have an exception for driving a car home on weekends. Across state lines can get weird, but a calm explaination should suffice if you have issues. 

DO NOT RUN A RANDOM TAG. While you are more likely to get pulled over running blank, it is a not a crime. Exception: If the PO leaves it on, run that, it will still be in the system, and unlikely to pose any issue. 

Basically don't sweat it. A signed title should be more than enough, but a bill of sale is better. 

You still need insurance! Call your agent and make sure your policy covers your drive... most do!

Hope this helps.

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice. 

car39
car39 Dork
11/23/19 4:26 p.m.
Woody said:
NOT A TA said:

Some states using plates from another car is considered "misuse of plates"  and gets you in more trouble than no plate. So I'd check the SC/NC laws. Yes, I have personal experience and the car was towed away.

That’s the Connecticut way.

No plate = Driving an unregistered vehicle —> misdemeanor

Driving with the plate from another car = Misuse of plates AND driving an unregistered vehicle —-> felony

Unless you live in Waterbury, then it's the way it is done all of the time, with no consequences.  I don't know if the local authorities know how to handle a licensed and insured vehicle, with the registration in the name of the driver.  It is that bad.

ebelements
ebelements Reader
11/25/19 1:15 p.m.

I've done long distance acquisitions with PO's plate but usually bring a plate from one of my cars with valid registration.

Out of over a dozen cars/bikes I did get pulled over once, driving to Cincinnati from Connecticut.  I was within the last 20 minutes of the drive and he pulled me over for having a tail out. Could not have cared less about the plates. No ticket.

What I WILL SAY THOUGH is don't do a fly & drive coming back through Kansas. I drove a rental car west a few months ago to pick up custom tile and got pulled over 4 times in that garbage state, even though I had the cruise set at the speed limit(all warnings). None of the officers would admit it was because of the bright yellow NY plates but there's no other explanation. So for my next fly & drive I'll definitely choose whatever plate is better camouflage!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/25/19 1:48 p.m.

Where is the OP?  I've just been driving around Mi with no plate, no temp tag, nothing in my new (to me) V60 for a month.  Finally got to the secretary of state and now have a temp tag.  But I went 4 weeks with nothing and no one stopped me despite a couple of 'opps, that was a cop, lift and hit the brake now' moments.

Daeldalus
Daeldalus Reader
11/25/19 4:19 p.m.

I drove home on my other car's tag as per SC state law. With my wife right behind "blocking" for me. No problems. No stops 

And now for the good part.

I am now the owner of an 05 Infiniti G35 sedan manual 6spd sport package. 

imgon
imgon HalfDork
11/25/19 5:40 p.m.

Nice, where are the pics?

Daeldalus
Daeldalus Reader
11/25/19 6:14 p.m.

Just a couple for this thread. I may start a build thread for it later idk yet

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
11/25/19 6:33 p.m.

Congrats