MrMook
MrMook New Reader
1/23/11 10:59 p.m.

I currently don't have a car, but I CRAVE driving. I really miss autocrossing, but the way things are at the moment, it looks like I may not be back in the drivers seat until 2012 season (if the world doesn't end before then). I don't have a car because I live in Brooklyn, NY, it's impractical at the moment, and I don't have the funds available to maintain, register, and insure a car that I'd rarely use.

So, since I may be looking at another year without a car, I'm thinking of investing in my driving skills, so when I'm ready to pick up a new daily/cross'r, I'll be ahead of the game.

Are there any reputable schools in the northeast? I'm hoping to stick to a budget of under $1000. Not sure what I can get for that sort of money, but I'm hoping for some track time, and some provided cars (since I don't have one, and I want to know the feeling of driving a dedicated track car). It looks like Skip Barber has a program at LimeRock, but that looks pricey.

And if anyone has any driving school experience, I'd love to hear about it.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/23/11 11:09 p.m.

EVO auto-x schools--pretty sure they're through BMWCCA. Very thorough, hands-on and personal. I got a LOT out of that school.

Any track day SCDA runs. More of an HPDE with instructors, but it's run VERY well. They do events all over the northeast.

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
1/23/11 11:15 p.m.

i hear great things about the EVO autox schools, which are run through bmwcca, but up here i believe they require you to supply the vehicle.

do you have any friends you could convince to dual drive a car?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
1/23/11 11:31 p.m.
WilberM3 wrote: i hear great things about the EVO autox schools, which are run through bmwcca, but up here i believe they require you to supply the vehicle. do you have any friends you could convince to dual drive a car?

Even if you don't, join the local SCCA/whatever club hosts a close autocross. If you can get to the venue and volunteer to shag cones without driving you'll make plenty of friends with cars. Offering to split or pay for whatever school you drive a car at would help too. If you're really lucky you might even get to co-drive someone's car all season. And if not you'll still be around what you love. Sometimes you can learn more by watching others run than by driving yourself.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/24/11 1:01 a.m.

EVO schools are not run through BMW club; they are run by EVO schools with the help of any autocross club that wants them.

byron12
byron12 New Reader
1/24/11 4:38 a.m.

^^^I agree with above statement go to local autocrosses and help out you will get rides and in time can certainly get a codriving arrangement with someone. you can also flog a rental car and you can always rent something race prepped for a trackday.

car39
car39 Reader
1/24/11 7:29 a.m.

+1 on Evo school, but good luck at any racing school lasting over 1 day for less than a grand.

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
1/24/11 7:41 a.m.
mtn wrote: EVO schools are not run through BMW club; they are run by EVO schools with the help of any autocross club that wants them.

sorry, didnt mean to imply theyre run by bmwcca, just that bmwcca schedules and hosts the evo schools in my neck of the woods.

i second the rental car idea!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/24/11 9:13 a.m.

All of these guys operate in the Northeast. You may also want to keep an eye out in GRM for our "Track Directory"

Trackdaze https://www.trackdaze.com/

NASA NE / PDA www.nasanortheast.com www.pdadrivingschool.com

Chin Motorsports www.chinmotorsports.com

EMRA http://www.emraracing.org

Hooked on Driving www.hookedondriving.com

sachilles
sachilles Dork
1/24/11 10:44 a.m.

team O'neil rally school

Great school. They provide the cars, and expect you to drive them hard. Guarantee you love your experience there. Just make sure you dress warm.

MrMook
MrMook New Reader
1/24/11 10:58 a.m.

I totally forgot about rental cars! Maybe I'll get a ZipCar account, and grab a Mini on race day

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
1/24/11 12:14 p.m.
MrMook wrote: I totally forgot about rental cars! Maybe I'll get a ZipCar account, and grab a Mini on race day

The best rental cars to rallyX/autoX.....this needs to be an article in the magazine. Doesn't get much more grassroots than that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5rF67ODcCuUgJHeYoxmF75NYz6nBPc733cMj3RtQBwvSgLLkyYW2ii7CtvIdZHGm