NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/2/09 9:16 p.m.

:) I thought i'd post up a picture of how mine looks now, I also adjusted the suspension a little to even it out. What do you guys think? I have a new grille and lights on the way. :) I thought i'd show off my GRM pride Cheers!

Before:

After:

I can't wait to get into my engine and put my Weber conversion on

cxhb
cxhb Reader
11/2/09 9:20 p.m.

I never really liked vws... Until lately. Nice car, looks good. Why the switch to carbs?

NickF40
11/2/09 9:23 p.m.

Thanks! They are a hoot.

Well, I always loved carbs, and my fuel injection is fine and fun but it has 341,000 miles and I just want to freshen it up and I thought, mind as well put a pair of Webers or DellOrtos on her. Also it will clean up the engine bay a bit.....still undecided on removing the AC.....

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
11/2/09 9:27 p.m.

I always digged the Mk.2 GTIs with the Euro headlights. The USDM headlights are so... boring.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
11/2/09 9:28 p.m.

looks good man. Have fun with it.

NickF40
11/2/09 9:38 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: I always digged the Mk.2 GTIs with the Euro headlights. The USDM headlights are so... boring.

Well i'm getting a quad round debadged with Hella round e codes with the tint in them, from Hella I want to try and find a 7 slot grill though, the single round.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
11/2/09 9:57 p.m.

Very cool!

I think I need to gets me one of those GRM windshield banners, too.

JetMech
JetMech New Reader
11/2/09 10:09 p.m.
NickF40 wrote: I can't wait to get into my engine and put my Weber conversion on

Pennsylvania would be okay with a Weber conversion? California would not!

Whatever the induction system, I like it!

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
11/3/09 3:37 a.m.

You are aware that its way too low to be safe for spirited driving right? At least unless you like the back of the car skipping a foot sideways unexpectedly in a corner when you hit a bump.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
11/3/09 4:42 a.m.

whats DRM?

Jay
Jay Dork
11/3/09 6:10 a.m.

Dumped Really Much.

rjones33
rjones33 New Reader
11/3/09 8:28 a.m.
Jay wrote: Dumped Really Much.

rjones33
rjones33 New Reader
11/3/09 8:29 a.m.

love those bottlecaps and euro grill too. Strip the interior, ad a talkin' cam and call it a day.

Flogger00
Flogger00 New Reader
11/3/09 1:03 p.m.

I like the windshield banner. For handling purposes, the rear's a touch too low. (~1/2 in). The front is much too low to work well (1 in or more). Sorry, but your roll centers are screwed up (assuming you're not using balljoint extenders, which I wouldn't recommend for street use. ) Also, if you care about things like truly black, black trim, try the heat gun method. It works great on these cars.

HTH

NickF40
11/3/09 5:21 p.m.

Thanks all! DRM was a typo I love the windshield banner!

I'm not sure, but they'll have to like, it all I get is visual and gas tank check I think. In California you can't do a lot to your car

For those of you who like it dumped, here you go but I was a little undecided, I like the lowness, now since i have the stock wheels on, i'm going to keep it like this, if we get any snow, raise her up as far as it can go but I got a set of free steelies that i'm widening, so I'll adjust the coils a TAd high, like some said maybe 1/2 inch more than I got now, with ever so slightly more in the rear. It does get bumpy sometimes but for coils and that low, it barely scraps, barely rubs, it is stiff but rides pretty damn decent for $360!

And yes, my buddy learned and had done the heat gun method on his 89 GLI and it turned out sweet so yeah i'm going to do that soon. I should have my badgless quad grille soon. I do plan on getting a Techtonics race header and hydro cam for it soon, most likely when I get the weber/dellortos.

The interior is actually pretty stripped! The PVW and hat was not put there for the picture, that's just whats in when I drive...I'm obsessed!

JetMech
JetMech New Reader
11/3/09 5:30 p.m.
NickF40 wrote: In California you can't do a lot to your car

You can do anything you want to your car here--it's just that a lot of it isn't legal. Just one reason I plan to move and never again reside here.

What strikes me as a little odd is that we have stringent emissions requirements and no safety inspection (I see all manner of unsafe vehicles on the roads here). But that's a topic better suited for another thread.

Returning to topic, you got a vote up from me in the Readers' Rides! And I like the stance as-is.

NickF40
11/3/09 5:41 p.m.

In reply to JetMech: Yeah, that's why I love Maryland!

But back on topic, thanks! I really appreciate that.

JetMech
JetMech New Reader
11/3/09 5:42 p.m.

In reply to NickF40:

Did I mention you've got me seriously thinking about buying a GTI now?

NickF40
11/3/09 6:19 p.m.

Glad to help and persuade you

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
11/3/09 6:47 p.m.

A2s RULE!

The quads look good on these cars. My `92 8v actually had them stock. Let us know how it runs with the carbs on it, that sounds like an interesting swap. Mine's Digifant, so I don't have the CIS worries other folks do.

BTW, Brother Dubbers: No hating on my 8v. 232,000 and my daily for a 34mi (one way) commute.

Hey, Nick! Single rounds & badgeless, German made, 40bux Buy It Now.

http://tinyurl.com/yk4n5t2

Jump quick, he's only got 3.

NickF40
11/3/09 9:36 p.m.

haha yeah I should actually...I have my badgless quad coming though

Hey , my CIS is running perfectly! for how many miles my car has, it idles smooth and runs great so no hating here either and I have a 10 mile commute.

God those snowflakes are beautiful

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xk36NWaPwTTpmsqsaQgFmvWgdtsGTzah4VZoUgcBjCVnihubuMsXePICUsgvP3yv