1 2 3 4
nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/10/18 8:52 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I sometimes think I'm the only person who doesn't really like NA/NB cars on the road. I love to AX them, but I don't enjoy driving them around. I don't like the ergonomics and I don't like feeling the chassis wobble and flex on bumpy roads.

I'm a smaller guy, so the ergonomics of the NA and NB cars fit me like a glove.  I find that driving a Miata on roads with corners and elevation change and little traffic is a joy.  However, if I lived in Texas and had to commute in a small, cramped, wobbly Miata on straight, flat roads in traffic, I'm sure the experience would be much less enticing.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/10/18 9:19 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

I bought the first one I drove.

Me too - the Manic Miata.  It's somewhat modified and somewhat sorted.  In fact, I owned it and drove it regularly for a couple years before I ever drove a stock Miata in any form.

The Manic Miata is not radical, but it's an NA8 with all the dials at 11.  Stock ones are a different experience, though - less, well, manic.  If I ever get rid of it, I'll probably get a more-or-less stock ND and leave it more-or-less stock.

Carson
Carson Dork
1/10/18 9:25 a.m.
Vigo said:

I didn't really get that feeling when I drove my first miata. However, I was freshly off a 93 MR2.

That kinda speaks to what i was thinking about context.  

I had a 91 MR2 at the same time as I had a 91 Miata. Both cars were fantastic. I fit in the MR2 a lot better (6’-0” mostly legs) and the ergonomics were perfect for me. When I drove the Miata for the first time I had the “ohh I get it!” feeling, but for me it was a stronger “ohhhh I really get it!” feeling with the MR2. 

I was preparing to move shortly after I got the MR2, one had to go. I already had had the Miata for a few years and it was much nicer, though the MR2 was worth more. So I sold the MR2. It was also red and I don’t really like red cars.

So, long story short, I agree, Vigo, context matters. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
1/10/18 9:54 a.m.

My first Miata was an NC, But I still had memories of my FB RX-7, so the feeling wasn’t revelatory or anything, but the extra power sure was nice.  Then I went 5 years without until buying a 1.8 NA as a backup challenge car.  I’m not entirely happy with the power, but I absolutely love the rest of the driving experience, both when I’m on curvy backroads, and just cruising around with the top down.  Don’t want to be without one again, but it does have me wondering if a Honda Beat or Suzuki Cappuccino would be even more fun.

Nugi
Nugi New Reader
1/10/18 9:55 a.m.

In reply to nderwater :

Curious what others stood out, good and bad... I have always dreaded "meeting my heros", but enjoied finding amazing cars by accident.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
1/10/18 10:45 a.m.

My first and only Miata I test drove was a green NB with a fart can.

I was honestly smiling and laughing the whole time because it was fun to drive but the fart can was hilarious.

Haven't bought a Miata, but I can see why people like them.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/10/18 11:44 a.m.

In reply to Vigo :

I think it's funny that you are comparing a 25+ year old car (the NA) with a "modern sports car". 

Miatas now classify as classics!

I think the answer to your question is stated in the question. The Miata is not a modern sports car (at least the NA and the NB). It has much less power, much lower build quality, much less weight, much fewer creature comforts. That's kinda the point. It's a classic, with an enormous amount of staying power because it really was THAT GOOD. 

If you compare it to sports cars older than itself, it outperforms them all. If you compare it to sports cars of a similar vintage well, there aren't any. If you compare it to newer sports cars you will find it is underpowered. Which is easily solved with little more than a swap to a modern power plant. 

You are suggesting comparing it to modern sports cars, but I am having trouble thinking of any that compare. Other 2600 lb candidates?

c0rbin9
c0rbin9 Reader
1/10/18 11:45 a.m.

I only drove a Miata for a few minutes but I was surprised at how rearward the driving position felt. You feel like there is a lot of hood out in front of you. Cool experience in a car so small. 

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
1/10/18 11:52 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Honestly, the "closest" thing I've found that was modern was the Fiesta ST.  Yeah, I know, its not a sports car, its FWD, it's a hatch, yadda, yadda, yadda.  I went on a "maybe I should replace the Miata"/automotive ADD kick a while back and it was the only thing that had the same light, direct, tossible feel of my NA.  That said, I didn't drive an ND because it wasn't in my price range, so maybe that's the "modern equivalent".

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
1/10/18 12:16 p.m.

Honestly, I'd probably prefer an original body Z-Car with urethane bushings all around, the possible exception being the convertible aspect.

I drove a NC, reminded me of the stock Z, and thought, I like this,  Imagetone.

Then I drove my now NB, got out, and asked the guy how much he'd take for it. 

If I could get an L- series six in it, I'd  feel like I have achieved a life long goal. 

Snrub
Snrub Reader
1/10/18 12:24 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

For those that say they’re uncomfortable - the ND has a suppleness that’s been missing from the factory suspensions (and a lot of the aftermarket ones). Makes for a great street car and they generate loads of cornering grip. 

Agreed, NDs are awesome.  The ride quality is significantly better than my RX-8, I'd argue not terribly different from a "regular" car.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/10/18 12:33 p.m.
kazoospec said:

In reply to SVreX :

Honestly, the "closest" thing I've found that was modern was the Fiesta ST.  Yeah, I know, its not a sports car, its FWD, it's a hatch, yadda, yadda, yadda.  I went on a "maybe I should replace the Miata"/automotive ADD kick a while back and it was the only thing that had the same light, direct, tossible feel of my NA.  That said, I didn't drive an ND because it wasn't in my price range, so maybe that's the "modern equivalent".

I was going to say my Mazda2 delivered about 99% of the joy in a package that fit me better and was more practical in every way. I miss that car. sad

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/18 12:44 p.m.

To add on to what SVreX is saying - there are 28 years worth of Miatas in three distinct generations, one of which evolved a fair bit over a 15 year lifespan. 

If they don't fit you, have you driven an NC?

If the ride is bad, have you driven an ND? Or an NC?

If they don't have enough power, have you driven a Mazdaspeed or an NC? Or noticed that with 155 hp, the ND gets to 60 in just about 6 seconds flat?

If you think they're not screwed together well or the suspension isn't all that, are you only driving shagged out $1500 examples?

They're not the perfect car for everyone. There have been occasional standouts at various times that had some better attributes, such as MR2s or S2000s...both of which are gone from the market. But Miatas have been consistently better at being an all-around fun sports car than anything else on the market at a reasonable price for a full generation - whatever you consider a "reasonable price" to be. They've got a great aftermarket that will address just about any complaint you might have about power, ride or handling - can't make it a whole lot bigger, though laugh

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
1/10/18 2:52 p.m.

I recently had a chance to buy an '89 Alfa Spider from a friend, and for a great price.  I've had a bunch of these, but sold my last one in the late '90's.  Granted this maybe wasn't a top notch example, but it also showed why the Miata was so successful.  I did not remember how A: slow it was, and B: how small it was.  Long story short, they still looked great, but did not drive all that great.  

Miatas are different.  As old as perhaps the NA feels, it is still so much better than most of the roadsters that came before it in terms of driving dynamics.  One of the most fun autocross cars I've driven is still a supercharged NA.  These days on the street I want something a bit different, but on a track or autocross course, they are still kings in terms of dollar to fun ratio.  

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/10/18 2:55 p.m.

I've set a goal, to either autocross or do an HPDE a minimum of four times in the next year, to justify buying a miata. In the meantime, my semi-appliance DD will get the job done. I'm two hours from the FIRM.  I'm going to have to look at some of the brake pad discussions, though!

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/10/18 3:12 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

can't make it a whole lot bigger, though laugh

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/10/18 4:06 p.m.
Nugi said in reply to nderwater :

Curious what others stood out, good and bad... I have always dreaded "meeting my heros", but enjoied finding amazing cars by accident.

That was back in 1998, so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison to what's on the market today.  A lot of vehicles of the day felt like junk inside, particular Korean and domestic brands.  Early 90's Mustangs, F-Bodies and Vettes--cars I had thought were cool--were such a disappointment to drive.  On the other hand the Accord, Camry and Maxima were a noticeable cut above in refinement--it was apparent right away why they were best sellers at the time. Many cars marketed as luxury, aspirational vehicles, either felt like junk inside (Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Buick, Lincoln) or were mere pleasant commuting appliances (Lexus, Infiniti, Jaguar, big Mercs).  3 Series BMWs stood out. To a slightly lesser extent, so did the A4 and C Class.  The best to drive were Porsches and 80's era BMWs with manual transmissions; these were cars designed to be driven.  I was always quick to jump into a Miata.  I don't have much to say about more exotic machinery--we always parked them right up front and treated them like treasures so I never really got to experience what they were like to drive.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/10/18 4:33 p.m.

The first Miata I drove was in 2013 when I went to look at the NB Thinkker was selling prior to his move from NE PA back to Texas.  Unfortunately, running problems and me not needing another project car at the time prevented the sale, but for that 5 min it ran well after replacing the coil pack was memorable.  Then I drove my ex's ND Launch Edition shortly after she got it.  Definitely fun. 

My previous sports car experience was a Spitfire, a '97 M3, a Triumph GT6 and my cursed '88 325is (sorta/kinda sporty when it ran).

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
1/10/18 8:25 p.m.
yupididit said:

Miati (sp?) are great. Any of y'all driven a Cayman S?

Not a Cayman S but the Boxster S. Both the new turbo-4 one and the previous year model. Yeah, I get that one too. I was trying to figure out how I could manage to convince SWMBO I needed one. Then I realized that I could have multiple Miata's and tire/mod money for what one would cost.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/10/18 8:34 p.m.

Bought a 90 Miata with no top, no battery for $650.  Drove 3 hours to get it.  Had crank keyway failure going, no top, 38 degree weather, and rain.  Drove it home as hard as it would go and about froze my ass off.  

Fixed the crank and other neglect.  Power washed the interior.  Put a new top on it.  Thrashed the hell out of it for a couple of months.  

Thought to myself...NOW I know why Flyin Miata has a booming business.  This car is built like a vault yet slow as balls.

I sold it on as a project, but the guy I sold it to is still enjoying it 10 years later.

I started putting V6s and turbos into MR2s.  Now, as a Miata owner the word is your oyster for add'l power.

I honestly think that if it weren't for the Miata, Mazda wouldn't be here today.  Our world is fundamentally better for it.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
1/10/18 8:39 p.m.

In reply to OldGray320i :

I keep looking at the six from a Suzuki Verona and thinking it would be nice in a Miata. It's all aluminum and short enough to be used transversely in the Suzuki. Straight sixes just sound right.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/10/18 8:43 p.m.

I 100% prefer the way the Miata feels with a hard top. My hardtop is rarely off my miata.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/10/18 8:44 p.m.
wlkelley3 said:
yupididit said:

Not a Cayman S but the Boxster S. Both the new turbo-4 one and the previous year model. Yeah, I get that one too. I was trying to figure out how I could manage to convince SWMBO I needed one. Then I realized that I could have multiple Miata's and tire/mod money for what one would cost.

I drove a friend's 987 Cayman S and liked it a fair bit.  The brand-new 981 that I test-drove, OTOH, didn't have the same appeal.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Reader
1/10/18 9:30 p.m.
yupididit said:

Yes I have but your not going to buy a good one for $2500.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
1/10/18 9:37 p.m.

So, "they're not that great, you're all wrong, you just don't have the experience to know better" 

I should just stay out of miata threads. Or at least stay out of your business. And maybe be less redundant.

To be completely unfacetious, you live in Colorado. I live in Texas. 

I sometimes think I'm the only person who doesn't really like NA/NB cars on the road. I love to AX them, but I don't enjoy driving them around.

Seth also lives in Texas.  

I find that driving a Miata on roads with corners and elevation change and little traffic is a joy.  However, if I lived in Texas [...]

And that has a ring of truth to it. As a Texan who's been to Colorado a few times, i frequently think about going to Colorado SOLELY to drive around in the mountains. 

I'm drawn to cars that are fun to drive in the type of driving i actually do, and the stockish miatas that people write about falling in love with just didn't do that for me. I haven't driven NCs or NDs but fully expect that i would very much like them as they address things i don't care for about the NA/NB. Regardless, i do enjoy some things about sporty/sports cars and happen to currently own one that fits my priorities of what i want to experience in the driving i actually do. I feel like i could take it on any road anywhere and still find a lot to like, while even a Miata i'd made into my own personal monster i couldn't say the same for. The Miata is just another of the ~60 cars i've owned and untold number i have worked on that added to my personal perspective on things.  Maybe if i lived somewhere else it would have become an obsession. 

I don't think it's overly negative to bemoan the lack of choice of things that are like a miata but not a miata. I appreciate it for its unique position in the car world while still being vaguely saddened that its position is unique.  What a shiny happy person!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EGyb4Qwdxthk9CJAz2X9gru9eDgz6E21FzZKb3gL4p53ylMRyO9CdjmctX9RRLRQ