1 2 3 ... 5
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
9/18/14 7:41 p.m.

I spent the day driving the new Mustang in and around the Angeles National Forest. I know, I know, the things I do for you people. We'll have a web report tomorrow, and a full report probably in the next issue of GRM. Bottom line: Very, very impressive. Gone is the rude and crude (but pretty fun) Mustang of old and in its place is a pretty serious automobile. We have some comparison testing planned shortly, but it might be BMW that should be worried, especially when the boys at Rousch, Shelby and Steeda get there hands on this one.

And Chevy and Dodge might have to go back to the drawing board on this one.

The surprise of the day, wasn't the V8, which you knew would be pretty cool, but the 2.3 liter EcoBoost. Not sure where this one will be classed in SCCA autocrossing and NASA and other road racing, but it could be a ringer.

Stay tuned...this should get interesting.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/18/14 8:02 p.m.

I'm hearing nothing but raves about this car so far.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
9/18/14 8:04 p.m.

I'll believe it when I drive it myself.

Just kidding. I haven't been able to drive them, the 5th gen Camaro, or the F10 3 series yet.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
9/18/14 8:09 p.m.

Now that I think about it, I've never driven any Mustang of any vintage. I ridden in some, but never drove any.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/18/14 8:18 p.m.

When will we see wild ones? I saw it at the car show last winter, but I want to see them in motion.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
9/18/14 8:43 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: I spent the day driving the new Mustang in and around the Angeles National Forest. I know, I know, the things I do for you people. We'll have a web report tomorrow, and a full report probably in the next issue of GRM. Bottom line: Very, very impressive. Gone is the rude and crude (but pretty fun) Mustang of old and in its place is a pretty serious automobile. We have some comparison testing planned shortly, but it might be BMW that should be worried, especially when the boys at Rousch, Shelby and Steeda get there hands on this one. And Chevy and Dodge might have to go back to the drawing board on this one. The surprise of the day, wasn't the V8, which you knew would be pretty cool, but the 2.3 liter EcoBoost. Not sure where this one will be classed in SCCA autocrossing and NASA and other road racing, but it could be a ringer. Stay tuned...this should get interesting.

So you are going to buy one?

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/18/14 8:44 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Not sure where this one will be classed in SCCA autocrossing and NASA and other road racing, but it could be a ringer.

this is the biggie.

since it makes the same numbers as the out going v6 which I believe is in D Stock(or Street or whatever it is) it should go into D stock.

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/18/14 8:52 p.m.

Interesting. This may move the Mustang from never own into consideration 10 years down the road.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/18/14 9:24 p.m.

High on my list, I would like to know how the V8 compared to a 2012 Boss

Will
Will SuperDork
9/18/14 10:23 p.m.
MrChaos wrote:
Tim Suddard wrote: Not sure where this one will be classed in SCCA autocrossing and NASA and other road racing, but it could be a ringer.
this is the biggie. since it makes the same numbers as the out going v6 which I believe is in D Stock(or Street or whatever it is) it should go into D stock.

I vote GS with the other turbo fours.

Okay, but seriously, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they put it in FS. I tend to believe in the "best of breed" philosophy when it comes to classing.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/18/14 10:31 p.m.

In reply to Will:

seeing as how the for the v6 fox bodys and turbo 4 fox bodys are in the same class. D Stock makes the only sense since i think the ecoboost mustang will not be fast enough for c stock

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
9/19/14 2:00 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: High on my list, I would like to know how the V8 compared to a 2012 Boss

Agreed. The Mustang has long been a car I have associated with backwards caps; preliminary assessments indicate that the 2015 is more refined.

jsquared
jsquared Reader
9/19/14 7:00 a.m.

How's the rear IRS feel? Have they put any big power through it yet? The pictures I've seen make the layout look a bit... weird. I'm still not sold on all these dual-ball-joint front suspension setups yet, either (Audi, Nissan Z33/Z34, etc).

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
9/19/14 7:58 a.m.

The new suspension worked flawlessly with 435 HP. On rough roads and switch backs it was very composed.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/19/14 8:41 a.m.

You are a lucky man

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
9/19/14 8:44 a.m.

HMmmmmmmmm, how do I justify one.

I LOVED my '13 GT Track Pack car. I miss that car a ton. I'm glad they put some wider tires out back for all the power/weight. I wonder if they left extra room in the fender wells or even beefier meet.

(But not the fuel bill or expensive oil changes).

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
9/19/14 9:10 a.m.

I'm pretty interested in the Ecoboost Mustang. Pricing is already out for them, and they are coming in with X-Plan pricing for under $25k. If I can fit a dog and a wife in one, that may be on my list when I go car shopping after my 3 kicks the bucket.

Will
Will SuperDork
9/19/14 9:48 a.m.
MrChaos wrote: In reply to Will: seeing as how the for the v6 fox bodys and turbo 4 fox bodys are in the same class. D Stock makes the only sense since i think the ecoboost mustang will not be fast enough for c stock

The 2011-2014 V6 model is in FS; the 2010 and earlier 6-cylinder and turbo 4 Mustangs are in GS.

But I'd want to see true power/weight/wheel width specs before classing the new turbo car.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
9/19/14 9:57 a.m.

Can't wait to see it pitted against the new Vette. The Vette may win, but I'm guessing not by much.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
9/19/14 11:01 a.m.

I can't wait to see a few of these, but I doubt there's anything there that will make me trade in my 05 since it's paid for. I heard a figure for a V8 GT performance pack car pushing $46k - which is just too much for my consideration. Of course, that was optioned up I'm sure, but wow. I hope that's not an accurate report.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
9/19/14 11:10 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote: I can't wait to see a few of these, but I doubt there's anything there that will make me trade in my 05 since it's paid for. I heard a figure for a V8 GT performance pack car pushing $46k - which is just too much for my consideration. Of course, that was optioned up I'm sure, but wow. I hope that's not an accurate report.

For reference, when I bought my '13 GT Mustang (base) with the Track Pack ($2500 option), the sticker was ~$33,750.......I paid $30,750 for it.

For it to be $46k is going to be a premium model with every single option.

Also the Ford configurator is up and running for the new Mustang. A base mustang GT, with 6 spd manual and the Performance Pack (no other options) has an MSRP of 35,420

rotard
rotard Dork
9/19/14 11:11 a.m.
PHeller wrote: Can't wait to see it pitted against the new Vette. The Vette may win, but I'm guessing not by much.

A C5 Z06 would probably destroy it. I don't think it will be competitive with the Corvette at all, which makes sense.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
9/19/14 11:12 a.m.
rotard wrote:
PHeller wrote: Can't wait to see it pitted against the new Vette. The Vette may win, but I'm guessing not by much.
A C5 Z06 would probably destroy it. I don't think it will be competitive with the Corvette at all, which makes sense.

Agreed. Aero is worse, a lot more weight, and not enough tire. At least if we are talking stock for stock.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
9/19/14 11:32 a.m.

Just priced the ecoboost coupe with performance package out at $27,990 in white. Yummy.

jsquared
jsquared Reader
9/19/14 2:47 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
rotard wrote:
Agreed. Aero is worse, a lot more weight, and not enough tire. At least if we are talking stock for stock.

And worse weight distribution (I'm guessing, haven't seen new Mustang figures yet) and higher Cg. But the Mustang is cheaper and has rear seats, so...

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zS7gNYQTyoFEZDOTZz8T0MiXnWd5d3TX8eVQGPw7x0iG0t1JMUbi9m8e8DwfSKV0