1 2
pirate
pirate Reader
3/21/17 7:05 p.m.

Has anyone used any of the warm air dryers after washing their car? Seems like it would be better then wiping with towel, microfiber or what ever and possibly quicker. What brand names? and are they expensive. While on subject of washing cars can anyone recomend a good battery powered vacuum cleaner?

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
3/21/17 7:37 p.m.

I'm a fan of a California Water Blade and an Absorber shammy. Much quicker than messing around with an air dryer.

Now on the bike I use a cheapie dedicated leaf blower to help get as much water as possible out of the nooks and crannies but use the Absorber shammy on the bodywork.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
3/21/17 8:22 p.m.

Used leaf blowers are cheap and work.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
3/21/17 9:13 p.m.

I wonder if the electric leaf blowers would work for that? Much lower maintenance than a gas one and cheaper ($30-$50) and still quite powerful. I love mine.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
3/21/17 9:14 p.m.
dculberson wrote: I wonder if the electric leaf blowers would work for that? Much lower maintenance than a gas one and cheaper ($30-$50) and still quite powerful. I love mine.

IMO, they'd be better for it, as there's no risk of it sucking up any oily exhaust fumes and blasting them onto the paint.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
3/21/17 9:16 p.m.

I gently drag microfibers across the surface. The main issue with air is that it spreads the water around, and hard water deposits are the worst.

thedanimal
thedanimal Reader
3/21/17 9:34 p.m.

There are dedicated machines out there that detailers use. I personally having some waffle weave drying towels that I use. However a leaf blower would work just as well as anything else.

Mine
Mine New Reader
3/21/17 9:44 p.m.

I use a water blade to get most of the water off, then I use a cheap electric leaf blower (Toro) to get water out of the nooks. Then a waffle weave microfiber towel to get the rest and inside the door jambs/trunk. Seems to work well at minimizing scratching the paint while drying and I don't have enough towels to completely dry the car anyways.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
3/22/17 8:28 p.m.

I've been using a B&D battery powered leaf blower for a couple of years on my bikes and cars.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/22/17 8:36 p.m.

I just hop in and hit the highway. Dries 'em off in no time.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/22/17 8:54 p.m.

I use an electric leaf blower, and then follow up with a waffle weave towel. The leaf blower takes care of ~90% of the water, which is awesome!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/17 8:13 p.m.

What is this thing you call washing a car?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/23/17 8:35 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: What is this thing you call washing a car?

Its where you go to autobell, pay $17, and leave with a cleaned inside and out car. They even do windows.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/17 8:40 p.m.

Things usually fall off my cars when they get washed. I mean if you wash away what is holding them together or remove the oil that is keeping the rust at bay. Remove this and cars fall apart.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/23/17 9:31 p.m.

Washing and drying cars are what children are for.

GroupSects
GroupSects GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/24/17 10:56 a.m.

Sheeting Method & a battery powered leaf blower for the nooks and crannies takes care of most of it. Not sure I'd want to do hot air anything though. Water spots suck.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/17 12:33 p.m.

Harbor Freight used to sell these, mini leaf blowers. The nozzle is a rubber pipe, so no worry about accidentally nicking the paint. I use it to dry the motorcycle, and it's amazing. For the car, it really helps with the honeycomb grille on the Fiesta. For the price, it's a no brainer.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
3/24/17 1:18 p.m.

I wash my car, drive it around the block, pull it in the shop and blow out crevices with shop air, than I finish off with a shammy.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
3/24/17 5:32 p.m.

My car washes uses a blast of air to help dry

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/24/17 9:41 p.m.

car washes around here now have an air dryer as an option in the self service bays. I tried it once, it did blow a majority of the water off and made it quicker to dry

c0rbin9
c0rbin9 New Reader
3/24/17 9:58 p.m.

I bought some fancy $20 huge microfiber waffle weave drying towel online and it works marvelously.

Not completely related to the OP but I thought you all should know.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
3/25/17 9:58 p.m.

I use the absorber with the blow gun. California blade if its a light color, those scare me on black.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
3/25/17 11:17 p.m.

Maybe I have this all wrong - I've avoided the leaf blower trick. Found it tended to drive water into crannies you would maybe not want to retain water and could leave deposits.

Instead, I've used a synthetic chamois followed by a shop vac with crevice tool to pull water out of places like the side mirrors, lenses and cut lines. Admittedly, using a vac requires a lot of care to prevent the hose touching - and thereby scratching - surfaces. My million $ idea in life was to patent my solution to that problem but that's a story for another time.

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
3/26/17 1:18 a.m.

I've been thinking about getting a leaf blower to do this for awhile now. You guys are definitely making me lean in that direction.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/26/17 4:04 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Harbor Freight used to sell these, mini leaf blowers. The nozzle is a rubber pipe, so no worry about accidentally nicking the paint. I use it to dry the motorcycle, and it's amazing. For the car, it really helps with the honeycomb grille on the Fiesta. For the price, it's a no brainer.

I bought this exact same thing at oriellys last Christmas. Im pretty sure they still have them for 20 bucks.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DVualAdke1DhJgp1VNM5EPYoGnaEF22T2DSvoimhRZqqWmpdHadrT4reRcy3WrbG