Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 New Reader
2/5/09 10:51 a.m.

rebuilding the front of my truck this weekend, assuming my infant lets me and my UCA's finally show up.

question is on alignment specs.

1 inch drop coils (belltech), ZQ8 sways both ends, Moog problem solver LCA bushings, Tall upper ball joints, tube UCA, , bilsteins, 3 inch leaves in the back, mild weight reduction on the front.

dual purpose, autocross and street. tire wear not that much of a concern, but i dont wanna go through a set every 1000 miles.

my thought was .75 neg camber, +5 caster, 1/8 toe in.

any suggestions?

Michael

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
2/5/09 11:02 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: my thought was .75 neg camber, +5 caster, 1/8 toe in.

Toe in? On the front? For auto-x? Granted, I'm coming at my limited alignment knowledge from a Miata, but I don't see toe-in helping you at auto-x. That's going to hamper turn-in.

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
2/5/09 11:56 a.m.

There's a big school of thought that toe has much more affect on tire wear than camber.

I'd shoot for zero toe in the front.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
2/5/09 12:06 p.m.

Zero toe or very mild toe out. You can go with a degree of negative camber if you'd like. I can't see how even two degrees would hurt you. What kind of truck is it?

Also, has GRM ever done a truck buildup? I'd be interested in reading about it.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 New Reader
2/5/09 8:18 p.m.

its an 87 s10

and as far as i know, GRM hasnt ever done a truck. id think if they would, it would be an s10 (same front suspension as a g-body), and probably in the same vein as mine. heres a link to my build thread:

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/project-drivabeater-352595/

hasn't been updated since i did the autometer gauges, dyed most the rest of the interior, etc. really need to update it....

as far as the toe in, thank you for the correction. zero toe. will that wander on the highway, follow road crown, etc? weve got really crappy roads in my area.

Michael

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 New Reader
2/5/09 9:24 p.m.

Can't be any worse tan here (I went through 3 wheels last spring on the interstate) and I haven't had any problem with 0 toe on any of my cars. Granted, they are cars not trucks.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 New Reader
2/6/09 10:20 a.m.

I've usually run -1deg camber and 1/16 toe out on all my cars and never had any tire wear issues.

The one time I did have a wear issue the one wheel was -2 and the car mostly drag raced. Killed that tire quick.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T9EOFDS9xmfLgv85tBtEH15AnxlGDgqOIaPI4mXIAjyCZfXuDMrjylhZ99gPJdjA