Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
3/27/17 12:44 p.m.

Has anyone tried this? Seems like it would be an easy way to get massive box flares and then make your way into the box flare hall of fame thread . A quick Google image revealed nothing.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
3/27/17 12:58 p.m.

The biggest problem I see here is that a lot of duallie flares aren't the same on both sides, the side with the filler neck is actually not as long. Also, some of them like GMT-400 flares, are made of some wonky composites that can't be patched/repaired. I know because my father lives in fear of his GMT-400 duallie's flares getting damaged for that reason.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
3/27/17 1:23 p.m.

Yikes... so not fiberglass and not symmetrical.... strike one and two!

appliance_racer
appliance_racer Reader
3/27/17 2:01 p.m.

Couldn't you get two of the same side flare and just flip it?

Also I know there are glues for repairing the non 'glass type. It's gooey and smells horrible but it works.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
3/27/17 2:39 p.m.

In reply to appliance_racer:

I know that some have a long taper up to the wheel well and then a short taper behind, which would also look real screwy if you tried to use them.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
3/27/17 3:07 p.m.

IT wasn't uncommon in the 80's to see cars with dually flares bondoed in place. I never saw a set that looked at all acceptable or even approaching passable. The squared off shapes rarely compliment typically, rounded cars.

There was a Karmann Ghia that was at all the Northwest VW shows in the mid 80's with some. They obviously looked at the squared off flares on a 914-6 and said "Yeah, pretty much the same thing" It was gag inducingly horrible. Those graceful lines of the ghia rear quarters with a big old box mounted on them. The wheel openings sized for 30 inch tires just dwarfed the 22-24 inch rolling stock.

It didn't help that the custom scene in the 70's and 80's viewed flares as an end, not a means to an end. IE they were installing them to "have flares" not fit a lot of tire and wheel, so the rolling stock was sunken in most of the time

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
3/27/17 3:11 p.m.

maybe some kind of trailer fender would be a better start for what you are looking to do

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
3/27/17 3:21 p.m.

As Jumper pointed out, they're probably gonna look a bit oversized. The flares on my Dually look great with 33" tires, and the 32" stock tires looked just a bit small.

appliance_racer
appliance_racer Reader
3/27/17 4:40 p.m.

In reply to NickD:

yeah good point as I think most of the newer trucks are more side dependent. I was thinking late '80's early '90's type dually flares.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/17 5:45 p.m.

I think some of the older flares and/or the aftermarket flares are or were fiberglass.

That said, once you cut them up enough to get them to work well enough for your project, you'd likely just have been better off building a wire mesh and glassing that. The end result will likely be lighter and better shaped.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
3/28/17 5:58 a.m.

Thanks to the stance and dorifto scenes rivet-on flares have gotten a lot cheaper, why not use something that was originally intended for a car?

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
3/28/17 8:13 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: Thanks to the stance and dorifto scenes rivet-on flares have gotten a lot cheaper, why not use something that was originally intended for a car?

This ^^ I've seen flares for as little as $120 for a set.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
3/28/17 12:05 p.m.

For my project Im going to need flares on all 4 corners, I have been looking at the stepside fenders for a 55-66 chevy truck for the rears but cant find anything small for the front.

Calcustom used to make fiberglass fenders for mini trucks many years ago, Showclass in Canada say they still have molds for the mini truck fenders in a few different sizes.

Then there is the prerunner craze now if someone wanted to cut up some expensive fiberglass fenders and bed sides.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/28/17 12:13 p.m.

beware of showcars in canada, i've heard firsthand horror stories about them and their online reviews are pretty atrocious.

on flares, some challenge luck happened a couple weeks ago during the wind storm. a bunch of new sheets of coroplast ended up in the ditch in front of my house

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
3/30/17 12:45 p.m.

@patgizz Score!

Yeah, I have decided to go with some homemade box flares, Never made them before, Gotta try.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
3/30/17 3:29 p.m.

I'm all for the dualle flares as long as you wire up all the clearance lights

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
3/30/17 3:33 p.m.

The problem with the eBay flares is that they are just "flares". Not "box flares." C'mon guys... you know the difference I'm looking for. One glance at the box flare thread shows exactly what I mean. Also, my hooptie is an '85 Toyota celica, its the most angular vehicle I've ever seen.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
4/6/17 11:51 p.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

About halfway down the page. 1980-1997 Ford Dualle Flares brand new. $250 a piece.

http://www.duallyfendersfiberglasstruck.com/#FORD

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SCgw7jRyOIJ07I1KI9NyDkoYx1VwGg22GdWKn1WdMo5oHcwGX0BqdufHOeAYBbbN