1 2 3
plance1
plance1 SuperDork
10/22/14 12:22 a.m.

I apologize in advance if it has. If not, I have to nominate the latest Infinity SUV commercial. First, the vehicle looks like a turd. Not a fresh turd but one that has gone a few feet down the sewer pipe and as a result has been smoothed out a bit. Secondly, the dude is a chef. A chef! He starts out by telling us how successful he has been, again, as a chef and then he drives to some dinner party on a hillside. Not sure what he is saying at that point because by then I've tuned him out, again because he's a chef. Being a chef is an admirable profession, but by that point in the commercial I find myself drifting off, dreaming of Lee Iaccoca K-Car commercials. About the only good thing I can say about this commercial is that an old honda motorcycle makes a cameo and the chef doesn't run into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zx0Qx2xX0U

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
10/22/14 12:47 a.m.

A cure for "Th3 Wantz".

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
10/22/14 12:54 a.m.

Exactly!

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/22/14 1:27 a.m.

Not really sure how his accomplishments pertain to the ugly SUV.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/22/14 6:08 a.m.

Basically Infiniti's ad department needs to be fired. between this one and the nanny Q50 commercial, neither of these want me to even consider Infiniti as a brand.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
10/22/14 6:24 a.m.

The Q50 commercial is far worse. Showing a guy doing anything but paying attention to the road, then the announcer saying that the safety features allow you to drive???

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
10/22/14 7:37 a.m.
bmw88rider wrote: Basically Infiniti's ad department needs to be fired. between this one and the nanny Q50 commercial, neither of these want me to even consider Infiniti as a brand.

Forget the ad department, fire the stylists. How in the world did this monstrosity get green-lighted for production?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
10/22/14 7:46 a.m.

Mercedes started the "our car will save you even if you can't be bothered to pay attention to actually driving" crap a couple years ago. Makes me want to kick kittens and punch puppies. I like kittens and puppies.

Will
Will SuperDork
10/22/14 8:11 a.m.
bgkast wrote: Not really sure how his accomplishments pertain to the ugly SUV.

They want the audience to associate success with buying an Infiniti.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
10/22/14 8:25 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Mercedes started the "our car will save you even if you can't be bothered to pay attention to actually driving" crap a couple years ago. Makes me want to kick kittens and punch puppies. I like kittens and puppies.

I want to punch a turtle.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/14 8:31 a.m.

I can't believe that you guys are missing the parallel. Being a successful high-end chef is all about convincing people to buy food that no one would actually want to eat, at grossly inflated prices. (Given a choice between a bacon cheeseburger and fries on one plate and stewed goat eyeballs, ground up goose liver, and seaweed-wrapped cactus on the other, which would most normal people prefer?) The Infinity is the same thing. It is a big, ugly, stupid truck and no rational person would want that monstrosity, so they convince rich people that it is "special".

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
10/22/14 8:44 a.m.

In reply to jstein77:

Because all they did was try and tart up a Nissan Armada and failed horribly.

My vote goes to any of the recent Infiniti ads, special mention to the aforementioned commercial. Although Infiniti also gets another mention for trying to compare their bloated luxury sedans to an F1 car from a couple years ago, I always thought that was dumb.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
10/22/14 8:50 a.m.

As near as I can tell, modern Infiniti's drive as good as they look. The ads just complete the trifecta of awful.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
10/22/14 8:55 a.m.

What's worse than the Infinity tact of the vehicle keeping your dumb ass from killing someone is the fact that there are enough dumbasses with money out there eating that E36 M3 up like a seagull on a frenchfry.

Everybody should be forced to learn to drive a manual with manual steering.

berkeley you Infinity!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/14 9:05 a.m.

Infiniti has a long history of E36 M3ty commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnbYrhUdzIg

Remember the creepy guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0rLAm-POvs

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
10/22/14 9:17 a.m.

We have a Subaru ad up here where the hipster driver is taking his kid to amazing places ie: Redwood Forest, Grand Canyon and the kid just shrugs them off cuz he's "seen better".

I wanna slap that kid and his dad for smiling and enabling that brat.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/22/14 9:21 a.m.

That commercial was dumb, but after watching the Matthew McConaughey/MKC commercial with my wife, we both turned to each other and said: "What was that?"

Makes me glad we watch most of our TV pre-recorded so we can fast-forward through the commercials.

golfduke
golfduke Reader
10/22/14 9:32 a.m.

How can the dodge Dart commercials not be referenced in a E36 M3ty car commercial thread?!?!

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/22/14 9:44 a.m.
dj06482 wrote: That commercial was dumb, but after watching the Matthew McConaughey/MKC commercial with my wife, we both turned to each other and said: "What was that?" Makes me glad we watch most of our TV pre-recorded so we can fast-forward through the commercials.

i still can't understand those.

But we have been told that Lincoln sales are way up.

(Doubling of them would mean they go from irrelevant to insignificant, though)

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
10/22/14 9:46 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

I like their welders but Hobart ain't too bad either.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
10/22/14 9:57 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: The Q50 commercial is far worse. Showing a guy doing anything but paying attention to the road, then the announcer saying that the safety features allow you to drive???

Yup. I'll never own an Infiniti, based entirely on my reaction to that commercial alone.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/22/14 10:10 a.m.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. They have been playing the crap out of that pretentious douche "chef" guy commercial----which by the way says not one thing about the truck. Great---- you are a chef, you need people to help you.....wonderful. So why exactly should I buy that ugly overpriced truck? The commercial doesn't give me any answers......

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
10/22/14 10:18 a.m.

SWMBO subjects me to watching the Food Network. Scott Conant, the chef in that ad, is a douche bag of epic proportions.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/14 10:26 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: I'm glad I'm not the only one. They have been playing the crap out of that pretentious douche "chef" guy commercial----which by the way says not one thing about the truck. Great---- you are a chef, you need people to help you.....wonderful. So why exactly should I buy that ugly overpriced truck? The commercial doesn't give me any answers......

That commercial makes me hate food.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/14 10:29 a.m.

Saw this ad, my first thought was "this guy's a monstrous douche" and the first thing I said was "What's the point of being rich if you have to drive that awful thing!?"

However, while this commercial is bad, the Q50 commercial is a hate crime against all responsible adults.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wxed83WatNi3iiNqiiEI5OnkwYmny5Veq9XDmEdDp5oU3bUNfEL5UQtiheWVnOXP