1 2 3
mtn
mtn UltimaDork
10/22/14 10:56 a.m.

Worst car commercial has to go to the Toyota Camry ads a few years ago--"Really grounded... to the ground"

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
10/22/14 11:10 a.m.
mtn wrote: Worst car commercial has to go to the Toyota Camry ads a few years ago--"Really grounded... to the ground"

http://youtu.be/AKRiCsZfx4k

Ummmm - yeah.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
10/22/14 11:36 a.m.

What about the new Honda commercial where the idiots ask questions, like if the car can do yoga? dumb

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
10/22/14 11:47 a.m.

This makes me question the foundational principles of the universe, such as "There will never be a uglier car than the Aztek" and "There will never be worse commercials than the Michael Bolton Honda commercials". Now I don't know what to believe.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
10/22/14 11:50 a.m.
jstein77 wrote:
bmw88rider wrote: Basically Infiniti's ad department needs to be fired. between this one and the nanny Q50 commercial, neither of these want me to even consider Infiniti as a brand.
Forget the ad department, fire the stylists. How in the world did this monstrosity get green-lighted for production?

Infinity has never had the styling thing down. These monstrosities still make me do a double take whenever I encounter one in the wild

So awkward.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/22/14 1:02 p.m.

Don't hate the player. This is aimed at their target demo, who cares about nothing other than how to get a vehicle with room for up to eight big egos.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/14 1:33 p.m.

BTW, car ads are so much more entertaining if you take them completely literally. Actually, that's true of all ads. Press a button on your phone, the wall explodes and you come out the other side riding a motorcycle and waving a machine gun! Fiats driving underwater from Italy! Sparkles will actually come out of the rug as you use this vacuum! Coach T will be an annoying sarcastic pretentious addition to your family if you buy a Toyota!

Although you will be told to shut up and leave the room on a regular basis if you do this.

Also, in all cellphone ads, the users are complete jerks. Seriously. This is who people want to be?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/22/14 1:39 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoGGDKV88Fg

WTF is he rolling between his fingers..

the ellen version is funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K69chHMtrs4

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
10/22/14 2:39 p.m.
jstein77 wrote:
bmw88rider wrote: Basically Infiniti's ad department needs to be fired. between this one and the nanny Q50 commercial, neither of these want me to even consider Infiniti as a brand.
Forget the ad department, fire the stylists. How in the world did this monstrosity get green-lighted for production?

I once read a description of these things as a "Klingon battleship." Every time I see one I remember that.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
10/22/14 3:18 p.m.

"You must have dark to show light"...

We've discussed a few of the WORST ads out there but we need a point of reference:

I giveth thee thy BEST ad ever; https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OkT_d2OTgv0

It's not a car ad but it's got a beater f150!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/22/14 6:36 p.m.

Wow....I guess I never actually looked at a Q80 before. Dang...that is hit over the head with the ugly stick. gees. I threw up in my mouth looking at it.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
10/22/14 10:21 p.m.

every time I see that Q50 commercial, I want to kick that guy in the face for being such a moron. And now whenever I see a Q50, I think "that driver must be a moron."

great marketing!

ncjay
ncjay Dork
10/23/14 3:07 a.m.

I still have no idea how a rat driving a car is supposed to make me want to buy the car.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
10/23/14 6:15 a.m.
jstein77 wrote:

They hired the designers from Airbus.

kb58
kb58 Dork
10/23/14 10:02 a.m.

Their ad campaign succeeded because they have you discussing the car, ugly, dangerous, or otherwise.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/23/14 10:03 a.m.
ncjay wrote: I still have no idea how a rat driving a car is supposed to make me want to buy the car.

They're supposed to be hamsters. That ad wasn't bad. They made the car look fun at least.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/23/14 10:08 a.m.

So... let me get this straight... you people are watching the commercials?

You deserve whatever disappointment you get from that.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/23/14 1:26 p.m.
Basil Exposition wrote:
jstein77 wrote:
I once read a description of these things as a "Klingon battleship." Every time I see one I remember that.

Seen a white one? 'Retarded Beluga whale'.

Infiniti also wins worst ad for those oh so long ago ones (back at the launch of the brand) where they didn't even show a car. WTF was THAT all about? Can't find a link, but man were they ever dumb.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
10/23/14 1:37 p.m.

I've owned 2 Infiniti's in the past, a Q45 and G35, and although I think they are OK as a brand, they have the absolute worst commercials ever, even from the start. WTF Nissan? And yes, that thing is soooo ugly, it will amaze me if they sell very many. The Armada is not the worst thing ever, how did they make it look like such crap and get through the probably 500 customer action groups it probably had to do before they finalized it.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/23/14 1:39 p.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote: SWMBO subjects me to watching the Food Network. Scott Conant, the chef in that ad, is a douche bag of epic proportions.

I love the end of that where he says something to the effect of "This car keeps me with the people i enjoy."

AS IN... NOT YOU PEASANTS!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/23/14 1:54 p.m.

Lincoln is just trying the same idea that all the liquor companies are doing now.

Take one part product, one part weathered/quirky actor/famous person, one part bizarre dialogue.

Stir vigorously, vomit into TV.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
10/23/14 2:36 p.m.

Am I the only one that likes the commercial? They're trying to sell the luxurious lifestyle too. That's the main reason for Infiniti. The second is to compete with the BMW 3-series, I believe.

kb58
kb58 Dork
10/23/14 5:08 p.m.

I watch movies but haven't watched TV in 13 years. Still don't miss it.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
10/23/14 5:40 p.m.

Sweet, a thread where we can make fun of commercials. I learned that you can't do that in a thread praising them without offending people.

Most commercials that try to use humor end up really saying that the people who use our products are idiots, so you should go out and buy some too.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
10/23/14 7:05 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: So... let me get this straight... you people are watching the commercials? You deserve whatever disappointment you get from that.

Too cheap to pay $10 per month for DVR, and now all the networks sync their commercials so, unless I'm making nachos, I'm pretty much stuck watching them. Now I feel underprivileged.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qYeEx5k7MM28n29ZG2nf4zQxn6Hl9eoHi43ROXvosPqe6qws2pQqAm32QSgFqumi