1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
Fritz_the_Cat
Fritz_the_Cat New Reader
10/2/08 1:32 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Did he think Subaru was an Australian company? Or just that they built their cars in Australia?

If I had to guess, I'd bet he thought it was Australian because the company logo (with the Southern Cross constellation on it) looks like the Australian flag. But I don't know the guy, so my guess is as good as yours!

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/2/08 1:43 p.m.
billy3esq wrote:
Jensenman wrote:
DirtyBird222 wrote: Canadian bacon is good, but you have to call it ham and put Maple syrup on it. Personally I'm a fan of regular bacon, especially chicken fried bacon.
Chicken fried bacon? You BREAD it?
Yes. Just like chicken fried steak, but with bacon. The TV show "Texas Country Reporter" did a vignette about some back road diner in Texas that purports to have invented it. You can also get it at the state fair. (You can get just about anything fried at the Texas state fair: Coke(R), Twinkies(R), 3 Musketeers(R), etc.)

Even we South Cackalackians won't stoop so low as to bread and deep fry bacon. Ewww. Although some of us (but not this one!) eat pickled pigs' feet.

Every John Grisham novel I have ever read mentions fried dill pickles, that sounds pretty damn disgusting as well.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
10/2/08 2:11 p.m.

have to admit, i thought Subaru was an Australian company for the longest time, it is a very persistent rumor. Maybe because they sell a car called the "outback". dunno.

OMG, I forgot my best one. About 2 years ago, i was riding in my buddys van back from a college football game (irrelevant, but stage setting). My buddy's dad says that back in the day, my uncle had a Corvette that "qualified for the 1970 indy 500" with a Can-Am engine in it.

needless to say, I call him out on his E36 M3, he proceeds to call his brother, and his brother calls me a know-it-all shiny happy person kid, and that i don't know E36 M3. I apparently need to keep my little kiddie opinions to myself because his uncle really did qualify a corvette for the 1970 Indy 500. Hell, the slowest quali time was a 167.5. There wasn't a corvette that could lap Indy at 150 in 1970, Can Am engine or not!

Jay
Jay HalfDork
10/2/08 3:09 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: have to admit, i thought Subaru was an Australian company for the longest time, it is a very persistent rumor. Maybe because they sell a car called the "outback". dunno.

Don't forget they had "Crocodile Dundee" doing the TV ads for a while around the turn of the century.

J

walterj
walterj HalfDork
10/2/08 3:28 p.m.

My wife was sitting next to me on the couch watching School of Rock with the kids. Jack Black goes to the jukebox and plays a Stevie Nicks song... my wife starts singing "Just like the one winged dove..."

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
10/2/08 5:06 p.m.
mtn wrote: I have had the twinkies. they were good. And the musketeers. But how do you fry Coke?

I think it's frozen. I've never had one.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
10/2/08 5:14 p.m.
Fritz_the_Cat wrote:
Salanis wrote: Did he think Subaru was an Australian company? Or just that they built their cars in Australia?
If I had to guess, I'd bet he thought it was Australian because the company logo (with the Southern Cross constellation on it) looks like the Australian flag. But I don't know the guy, so my guess is as good as yours!

The group of stars depicted in the Subaru logo is the Pleiades, which is technically a cluster, not a constellation. It is located in the constellation Taurus.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
10/2/08 5:16 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: Even we South Cackalackians won't stoop so low as to bread and deep fry bacon. Ewww. Although some of us (but not this one!) eat pickled pigs' feet.

That's disgusting.

Jensenman wrote: Every John Grisham novel I have ever read mentions fried dill pickles, that sounds pretty damn disgusting as well.

Fried pickles are ok, but I've only ever had fried dill slices, not a whole pickle. It's better if you have them in a basket mixed with fried pickled jalapeno slices.

Fritz_the_Cat
Fritz_the_Cat New Reader
10/2/08 5:28 p.m.
billy3esq wrote:
Fritz_the_Cat wrote:
The group of stars depicted in the Subaru logo is the Pleiades, which is technically a cluster, not a constellation. It is located in the constellation Taurus.

Alright, I stand corrected on the Subaru logo, but it is the Southern Cross in the Australian flag.

Hocrest
Hocrest New Reader
10/2/08 5:38 p.m.

Not car related, but about 15 years ago a friend of mine worked at a photo lab. As he was putting a roll in one of the envelopes for the customer, he dropped the roll of film. He joked that now the pictures are going to be blury...

This was back at a time when most camera's were not point and shoot, and had no autofocus. The next day the customer picks up her pictures and opens them up to check. When she sees all of the out of focus prints she starts yelling for the manager and declares that all of her pictures are ruined because he (as she points at my friend) dropped the roll...

They ended up having to give her free film and free future processing

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/2/08 6:19 p.m.

dumbest thing i heard was that the ridgeline was stupid and didn't tow and was a girls truck.

geomiata
geomiata Reader
10/2/08 6:37 p.m.

^^ im pretty sure thats true though

tuffburn
tuffburn New Reader
10/2/08 7:25 p.m.

i didn't have one until about 10 minutes ago..... so i am at 711, i pull up, buy smokes, and walk out and my car won't start. so after launching expletives and starting fluid at it it sputters to life. its then when i notice a spark coming off my distributer, and its wet. i say" better wipe that off." my hand is numb and it twitches. hindsight is 20/20. and my freind, direct qoute "if a car isn't turboed and awd it isn't fast in any context." and in same conversation "there no way this audi quattro sport you keep bringing up is fast. it was made in 1980!" 300hp and awd. sounds like the evos he loves so much.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/2/08 8:02 p.m.

Debate is starting... tell you in a minute.

Carson
Carson Reader
10/2/08 8:04 p.m.

Not really something I've heard but something I've done.

Sometimes when I drive my wife's car, an automatic, I turn the car off and I can't, for the life of me, get the key out. Takes me a few moments but then I realize the car isn't in park. Slide it up to 'P' and the key comes out. That's pretty dumb.

Sort of related: a coworker of mine has been driving the same car for a few years, also an automatic. Well, he goes to the ATM, puts the car in park, turns it off, gets his money. Gets in the car, turns the car on. It won't go into 'D.' Turns it off, turns it on, still no 'D.' He then waits 45 minutes for AAA to show up for a tow. The tow driver gets in, starts it up, puts it in drive, and says, "Seems to be OK now."

My coworker didn't put his foot on the brake before trying to select drive.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic New Reader
10/2/08 8:53 p.m.
billy3esq wrote:
Jensenman wrote: Even we South Cackalackians won't stoop so low as to bread and deep fry bacon. Ewww. Although some of us (but not this one!) eat pickled pigs' feet.
That's disgusting.
Jensenman wrote: Every John Grisham novel I have ever read mentions fried dill pickles, that sounds pretty damn disgusting as well.
Fried pickles are ok, but I've only ever had fried dill slices, not a whole pickle. It's better if you have them in a basket mixed with fried pickled jalapeno slices.

Fried pickles are awesome. So are fried snickers and oreos.

cwh
cwh Dork
10/2/08 9:39 p.m.

I started a job as a lead alarm tech at a bank security company in '88. Walked into the shop, and there was an IMSA GTO class car almost finished. WOW, I'm in heaven!! I tried to start a conversation with the motor guy, and he thought I was a total moron when I asked him about the engine that was on a stand. He said "No, it's not a regular Chevy, it's a race motor". I said, OK, I see AFR heads, and the 010 on the side of the block implies it's a 350 4 bolt. He started to treat me a little different after that. Just the opposite of the others here. Kenny Bupp's car, if anybody remembers him.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/3/08 1:23 a.m.
Carson wrote: Sometimes when I drive my wife's car, an automatic, I turn the car off and I can't, for the life of me, get the key out. Takes me a few moments but then I realize the car isn't in park. Slide it up to 'P' and the key comes out. That's pretty dumb.

Similar thing happens when I drive my girlfriends car. When I come to a stop after cruising on the freeway, my hand always drifts to the gear selector... and my eyes get REALLY BIG when my left foot hits the floor. OMG! The left pedal is missing! I'm going to stal...

oh, never mind.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/3/08 1:34 a.m.

I once nailed the brake pedal in my mom's old car around 60 attempting to hit the clutch to shift. That car was an automatic. I also occasionally stomp the floor once or twice when stopping/starting my friend's car looking for the clutch again.

mtn
mtn Dork
10/3/08 8:02 a.m.
Salanis wrote:
Carson wrote: Sometimes when I drive my wife's car, an automatic, I turn the car off and I can't, for the life of me, get the key out. Takes me a few moments but then I realize the car isn't in park. Slide it up to 'P' and the key comes out. That's pretty dumb.
Similar thing happens when I drive my girlfriends car. When I come to a stop after cruising on the freeway, my hand always drifts to the gear selector... and my eyes get REALLY BIG when my left foot hits the floor. OMG! The left pedal is missing! I'm going to stal... oh, never mind.

I went for about 2 months without driving moms car, which at that point was the only automatic in the house. I got it started and backed out ok, until I slammed on the brake pedal trying to put the clutch in. Mom gets pissed, and Dad laughs cause he did the same exact thing the day before.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
10/3/08 9:02 a.m.

What's worse than that?

Back in the old days.. power brake, automatics had HUGE brake pedals.

And in an E Stop , it was easy to get both feet in.

Only they were both on the brake!

It gives one a very upclose look at the windshield

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/3/08 9:41 a.m.

Funny story...

The cop car is an auto on the column, the Grand Prix is a floor shift auto, and the RX-7 is a manual. The neighbors get a kick out of watching me re-arrange the cars in the driveway. I try to hit the clutch pedal in the cop car and wack my hand on the center console. I turn on the wipers trying to find reverse on the stalk on the GP, and by the time I make it to the RX-7 I forget it has a clutch. It's kind of comical jumping around to cars that drive so different.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/3/08 9:54 a.m.

I had an enormous bump on my forehead for a couple of weeks once after I locked 'em up in my dad's '87 Dodge Pickup a couple years ago. Hadn't driven anything automatic in at least a year, and within two minutes of getting in it I slowed down for a sharp corner and went to downshift. I didn't hit the windshield, but that steering wheel was HARD.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Reader
10/3/08 11:21 a.m.

I don't have problems shifting going back and forth between the Miata (floor shift stick) and the F150 (column shift AT) but do have issues when driving the wifes Camry (floor shift AT). I keep trying to shift in the Camry. I do have problems with other switches when bouncing between the F150 and the Miata. Light switches and wiper switches are in different places and the turn signal arm is lower on the F150 than the Miata. Let's not even discuss driving my daughters RX8 and messing with heater/AC controls and kicking the fuse panel cover off all the time getting in & out of it.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic New Reader
10/3/08 2:06 p.m.

I always do the same thing in my parent's automatic Camry. I end up pushing the brake pedal to start it. Slam on the brake to shift into reverse. Oops.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VgLKXFECeVaVRJsggbloQ3DL3zLT9zsEqzzfp1IUSzpeyzVKZN2v3Ka5h7TzqSoN