madmallard
madmallard New Reader
6/9/10 1:53 p.m.

any tips? The need to haul stuff has expanded. Looking for diesel and extended cargo length, but I know nothing about the e-series in general...

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
6/9/10 2:00 p.m.

Cargo van or box truck?

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
6/9/10 2:09 p.m.

new or used?

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
6/9/10 2:18 p.m.

Though still in business and focusing on international business, DHL shut down a lot of their routes and sold off a lot of their trucks. If you see a yellow truck it is a retired DHL unit.
The red portion is just a removable sticker.

madmallard
madmallard New Reader
6/9/10 4:19 p.m.

budget is trying to stay below 7, cargo, not box

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
6/9/10 5:22 p.m.

Try Penske first, then Budget or Ryder.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/9/10 6:07 p.m.

company I worked for had two.. a gas one that would not die (we tried) and a diesel that had to be driven to be believed

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
6/9/10 6:40 p.m.

Just picked up an E350 extended van. Incredibly heavy duty, adequate power with the triton V8 and tons of room. They are available cheap and really can't be killed with minimal service. Drove it loaded with gear from socal to Sonoma(for the Vintage races) and back. It returned 15mpg, cruised easily at 75-80 and stable as heck. The example i purchased has 200K on it, not that you'd know it. After a service, new LT tires and a sound system, my crew reported it drove like a new one.

RossD
RossD Dork
6/9/10 7:24 p.m.

Thats right! You could get the 7.3 turbo diesel in those....hippies be damned.

madmallard
madmallard New Reader
6/9/10 7:43 p.m.

well i hit Wiki, and it said in 03 that a new 6.0 diesel was released with more power and same efficiency... but since I know nothing, i figured i'd ask

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
6/9/10 7:46 p.m.

uh. You don't want a 6.0 ford diesel

RossD
RossD Dork
6/9/10 7:52 p.m.

Well from looking at diesel fords for my own vices, I was only looking at the turbo 7.3 or the 6.4. The 6.0 seemed to have some teething issues and since the 7.3 turbo seemed to be Fords answer to the Cummins in Dodges, the loyalist felt let down. Check some of the ford truck forums and you start to see the "un-love" for the 6.0L. I wouldnt say to stay away from the 6.0 but I would suggest doing your homework.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
6/9/10 7:58 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: ... DHL shut down a lot of their routes and sold off a lot of their trucks. If you see a yellow truck it is a retired DHL unit.

I got one of those E150s cheap.. Starting to see more and more of them on the road, and we often wave at each other..

madmallard
madmallard New Reader
6/9/10 8:10 p.m.

i'm thinking overall that age is my enemy more than miles.

also, i'm looking for the option to tow later on.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1z8Ezw3EcTBoyR299deDglEyvHIeqTZjsMGZ8YOnD6yWXZPQgZofIXZAhbyqHUgg