1 2
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
2/23/11 9:51 a.m.

Hey guys,

In my search for a new fun car I have stumbled on this car with the help of TR8Todd:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1602018

I have worked out a deal in principle with the seller to buy it for a bit less than the advertised price. I have spoken with the thread poster of the for sale ad who actually built the car,and wants it back,but can't afford it at this time. I also had a forum member here have a look at it for me last night. He gave it a relatively clean bill of health in a sort of short email this morning,but I am hoping to talk more with him either by phone,or email on the subject.

I have looked into flights down,and driving it back,and that seems pretty painless as long as the car can make it(I have been told it can). The price seems a little high for the car at its core,but with the mods,and cleanliness of it,maybe not. What do you guys think? My biggest concerns are that I am not real familiar with BMW's,or German cars in general,and I am not sure I am a BMW guy,but I did have a BMW motorcycle years ago. I am so used to the Japanese/Mazda/Rotary world that this is a stark departure.

So what does the clan think?

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
2/23/11 10:09 a.m.

Well, it looks like a sweet car. I think if you like it, go for it.

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
2/23/11 10:15 a.m.

Yeah, it looks pretty nice. If you're into those, I think it would probably be very difficult (or impossible) to recreate that for the price.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/11 11:05 a.m.

i heart e21.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
2/23/11 11:13 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: So what does the clan think?

You ARE aware that it doesn't come with a rotary, right???

Dude--I think it's an amazing find--super rare in these parts. Very interesting/cool car. Of course I say go for it.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
2/23/11 11:17 a.m.

That's a neat car. I know squat about em, but it sounds like the OP does, and he'd probably be a massive help in repairing anything that needs repaired, as he originally built it. Given that provenance, and if you have the means, I say do it.

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
2/23/11 11:19 a.m.

One of my favorites. This one seems (on cursory browse of the photos) really clean.

Of course we'll say "go" because it allows us to live vicariously.

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
2/23/11 11:32 a.m.

one of the cleanest looking e21s ive ever seen and that interior looks great.

that 2.7L supereta/325i hybrid engine should feel really nice too. they pull well in a heavier e30.

carzan
carzan HalfDork
2/23/11 11:42 a.m.

Not a big fan of E21s myself, but that one, done the way it is, is really nice. Me likey

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky HalfDork
2/23/11 11:54 a.m.
carzan wrote: Not a big fan of E21s myself, but that one, done the way it is, is really nice. Me likey

X2

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
2/23/11 12:36 p.m.

Nice car, but at the core it's a US spec 320i that's been modified (although it appears to be very well done.) That means it's not going to be worth as much as a real Alpina, but the asking price seems fair considering the condition and the work that was done.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 HalfDork
2/23/11 1:18 p.m.

I'm almost sure I remember the last time that car sold. I want to say it was on ebay. Wanted it then. Want it now.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
2/23/11 1:21 p.m.

As far as I know it was sold to the current owner via a forum,but I may be wrong. There was one similar in CA on eBay month or so back,but this one is a lot nicer.

killerkane
killerkane New Reader
2/23/11 2:17 p.m.

Go for it, definitely a fun car!

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi New Reader
2/23/11 2:35 p.m.

I spy photos with Virgina, Tennessee and Florida(?) plates. Sometimes there's a front plate, other times there is not. He may be mixing photos from various points in time. Either way its something I'd ask about before buying a plane ticket - or hopefully your friend who saw the car in person can attest to the fact that there's no hidden crash damage, etc.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
2/23/11 3:44 p.m.

The pics on the ad show the car when it was owned by the person who built the car,but is not the seller. He lived/s in Knoxville,TN but the seller is in VA. That is why the pics show different plates. As far as I know the car looks the same as most of the pics aside from a few that maybe don't have the euro spec front bumper as it was added by the current owner.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 HalfDork
2/23/11 4:27 p.m.

Pretty sure the one I remember was on ebay, but it may not be this car. Sure was very similar and in outstanding condition. But, man, I want to say it was in Tennessee.

I still want it.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/23/11 4:49 p.m.

Do you know where it is in TN? I may be able to take a closer look at if you want me to depending on the distance from where I am and how soon.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
2/23/11 5:03 p.m.

It is in VA,not TN.

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
2/23/11 5:07 p.m.

I had a 1980 Euro 320 and really loved the chassis. So much more refined than my 2002. I would love to have that 323!

nicksta43
nicksta43 Reader
2/23/11 5:15 p.m.

I loved my e21. But I could never wrap my simple mind around the bosch cis injection. That car looks to be rust free which is a huge deal. I always wanted to put that motor in mine but blew my budget fixing rust. I'd say do it especially with those beautiful euro bumpers.

dimeadozen
dimeadozen Reader
2/23/11 5:35 p.m.

Very nice looking car- an Alpina-ish E21 that hasn't been painted silver with over the top replica Alpina stickers. If you do purchase it, please fit a properly fitting battery bracket and remove the wooden shims ASAP.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
2/23/11 5:36 p.m.

I have a soft spot for e21s, my first BMW was an '81 320i, but they will never have the cache of the 2002, and this money will buy a decent 2002. I'd buy the best 2002 I could afford and tart it up to my taste. In 5 years I'll be $$ ahead, which is a shame, because the e21 is a very good car. But like Rodney Dangerfield, it gets no respect.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i New Reader
2/23/11 5:56 p.m.

FWIW, I've lurked on that forum for years, never saw any complaints regarding the guy posting, s/b a pretty solid car (and I want to say he sold it for less than what's being asked now...). He was bummed when he sold it, and shortly thereafter went and got another (stock) one.

For what it's worth, I've probably got about $7 or 8K in mine for repairs/upgrades/rebuilt 4cyl motor, nowhere near as nice as that one (nor is mine running at the moment... long story). I miss driving my car....

tincetti
tincetti New Reader
2/23/11 7:28 p.m.

I probably miss my 323i more than any other car I have owned....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OK7PctF4IGJWFtSbMp041HvarA9nm10XEF58HkicBzwCLkqngldF2LL0rTHJBDJx