CGLockRacer Reader
July 28, 2009 2:08 p.m.

I did a brief search, but did GRM ever do an E30 buyers guide? If not, when? Since it is one of the standard answers around here :)

JFX001 Dork
July 28, 2009 2:40 p.m.

Just to piggyback on this:

What about a 325 ix?Good or bad?

walterj Dork
July 28, 2009 2:49 p.m.

e30tech has one as does the bimmerforums. google will save me typing up a tome of regurgitated info but if you really come up dry... repost here and I'll do my best to hook you up.

stuart in mn SuperDork
July 28, 2009 2:53 p.m.

Both subjects have been covered here before, although I don't know how well the search function works.

The 325iX has a couple parts that are expensive to replace if they wear out - the front control arms, and of course the transfer case. Fortunately those parts are pretty durable (my iX has 195,000 miles on it) and the rest of the car is more or less standard e30.

e30 325iX FAQ: http://home.earthlink.net/~wardellhix/iX/general/iXfaq.html

CGLockRacer Reader
July 28, 2009 3:27 p.m.

I've googled the buyers guides and seen most of them. Just didn't know if GRM has done one yet. Thanks!

bam2002 New Reader
July 28, 2009 4:14 p.m.

Here is another

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=606593

walterj Dork
July 28, 2009 4:23 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Both subjects have been covered here before, although I don't know how well the search function works. The 325iX has a couple parts that are expensive to replace if they wear out - the front control arms, and of course the transfer case. Fortunately those parts are pretty durable (my iX has 195,000 miles on it) and the rest of the car is more or less standard e30. e30 325iX FAQ: http://home.earthlink.net/~wardellhix/iX/general/iXfaq.html

Actually, no its not - different front strut tube/spindles, different engine block, front spring rates, shock valving, different shock tower placement, body kit, and lots and lots of other little custom items. The iX was almost $40k new... as much as the M3 because of all the unique parts that had to be made.

stuart in mn SuperDork
July 28, 2009 10:18 p.m.
walterj wrote:
stuart in mn wrote: Both subjects have been covered here before, although I don't know how well the search function works. The 325iX has a couple parts that are expensive to replace if they wear out - the front control arms, and of course the transfer case. Fortunately those parts are pretty durable (my iX has 195,000 miles on it) and the rest of the car is more or less standard e30. e30 325iX FAQ: http://home.earthlink.net/~wardellhix/iX/general/iXfaq.html

Actually, no its not - different front strut tube/spindles, different engine block, front spring rates, shock valving, different shock tower placement, body kit, and lots and lots of other little custom items. The iX was almost $40k new... as much as the M3 because of all the unique parts that had to be made.

That's why I said more or less...from the point of view of maintaining the thing, outside of the AWD parts it's not going to be a lot different than a iS (how often does the average person have to change the engine block, anyway.) I've owned my iX for nearly a decade, and I haven't had to deal with anything that's not covered in the regular e30 Bentley manual.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

You Need This: E39-Chassis BMW M5 for $6000?

12 hours ago in News

Buy one of our favorite Q-ships.

Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! on Wednesday, August 23: Building a Homemade Sim Rig

17 hours ago in News

We’re taking our sim-racing game to another level.

That's What i Like: What Attracts Us to Specific Cars?

18 hours ago in Articles

I just spent 10 days in one of my new favorite cars: the 2017 VW GTE.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

1 day ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: Eclipse!

1 day ago in News

Today's special.

Your Projects: Boosted and Flared E30 BMW

1 day ago in News

Another forum member put it best: “This build is absolutely mental. And I mean that in the best possible way.”

You Need This: 1990 Suzuki Carry 4WD Mini-Truck

1 day ago in News

It looks cool, matches our cargo shorts, and makes little sense.

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

1 day ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

You Need This: Gullwing Doors and Exotic Styling for Just $1500

1 day ago in News

Meet some brown ’70s awesomeness.

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

3 days ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
ym2t75Cor8FdsjnTBNYa3Un2sQOo0KXZ