z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
4/20/11 9:08 a.m.

I've got a line on an E30 hardtop, but it needs a back window.

Do you any of you know if the hardtop shares the same glass as the normal 2dr/4dr cars?

If not, any idea where to search for one? The local place isn't showing an option for it.

However, 51311942920 seems to be the BMW part number for the hardtop back glass.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
4/20/11 9:13 a.m.

Holy crap, I had no idea such a thing existed. Post pix once you get it!

Luke
Luke SuperDork
4/20/11 9:21 a.m.

Wait, what? You're saying BMW made a hardtop for the 'vert?

So they did. Awesome. Sorry, can't help you, though .

chapel
chapel New Reader
4/20/11 9:32 a.m.

hardtops are particularly rare. I'd see if any local glass places have a lead on them... I don't know if they're the same back glass as a stock E30 though, sorry.

you could ask at R3vlimited.com. There's a few guys with Hardtops there.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
4/20/11 9:40 a.m.

I checked realoem.com and it appears the rear glass is still available but is unique to the convertible hardtop. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BB13&mospid=47326&btnr=51_0219&hg=51&fg=05 Note that while the prices on that site give you a general idea of the cost, you may find better pricing from your favorite parts vendor.

They have a parts cross reference feature on their website; copy the part number from the list, page back to the 'select another car' page, and paste the part number into the 'part nr application search' window.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
4/20/11 9:48 a.m.

^Yeah, I started checking Real OEM after I posted here.

Already got a response on R3V as well. And have GutenParts and Blunttech.com both looking at the availability of the glass.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
4/20/11 10:21 a.m.

Looks like www.blunttech.com can actually get the glass.

It has to come from Germany, but is very reasonably priced at $160, the molding is another $125.

Just wonder how hard I'm going to get burned on shipping.

In reality, the hardtop is in good enough shape, even if I have to pay $600-700 for a rear window, I'll still come out in the black on the hardtop.

Seems as though they tend to sell for $1200+

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
4/20/11 10:30 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: Looks like www.blunttech.com can actually get the glass. It has to come from Germany, but is very reasonably priced at $160, the molding is another $125.

Steve at Blunttech can usually provide a LOT better pricing than realoem.

edit: I wonder how that will work with glass - as you said, shipping costs may be another story. I bought a new windshield for my M535i last summer, and it ended up the best option was ordering it from the local dealer and picking it up there instead of trying to get the thing shipped.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
4/20/11 10:39 a.m.

^None of the local glass places even have a listing for an "E30 convertible hardtop" is the problem.

chapel
chapel New Reader
4/20/11 12:46 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Looks like www.blunttech.com can actually get the glass. It has to come from Germany, but is very reasonably priced at $160, the molding is another $125. Just wonder how hard I'm going to get burned on shipping. In reality, the hardtop is in good enough shape, even if I have to pay $600-700 for a rear window, I'll still come out in the black on the hardtop. Seems as though they tend to sell for $1200+

yes, a good hard top costs a LOT of money. that's why you don't see them ever. they look awesome too

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
4/20/11 1:07 p.m.

^It's being delivered to me on Friday. $250.

The E30 gods must be smiling on my build. I got a great deal on the car itself, a set of 17" Staggered BBS RS, some mint black interior pieces, now a hardtop.

Now I need to get in the garage and start working on it, instead of spending money on more parts!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
4/20/11 1:35 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: a set of 17" Staggered BBS RS

Four lug or five lug? Either way they aren't easy to find in 17" size.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
4/20/11 1:57 p.m.

5x114.3, I'm going to use adapters.

Maybe I should test fit them to see if they will clear the Speed3 brakes?

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
4/20/11 2:41 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

You suck . . .

Nice score!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YBG9OYqtGwdUvBQNp6HHqiAmCI7vuZFHLoCGu0ZRTi0tPBr5PbrgEkBn4qB9HtOL