Timeormoney New Reader
March 4, 2010 8:28 a.m.

So I cooked the 325is motor in my 87 e30, swapped in a spare and now I don't have a working tach, plus the motor is acting like it can't advance the spark. A few more mystery details: 1. I swapped the instrument cluster at the same time, so not sure if my tach is dead in the cluster 2. In a fit of stupidity and rage, I pulled the old head off the blown motor (with intake and exhaust manifold attaches) and chucked it to the recycler, with the BRAND NEW spark plug wires on it. So the current motor is running some very old wires, and the tach signal wire is a totally different color, so it COULD be a replacement or who knows. 3. New spark plug wires are $$$$, so I wanna make sure they are the issue before I buy a new set.

Soooo, how do I check this out? This would appear to be the rarest damn e30 problem ever since all my usual web sources have nothing listed, and even google failed me.

stuart in mn SuperDork
March 4, 2010 8:39 a.m.

Since you swapped in a different cluster I would imagine that either the tach in the new cluster is bad, or you missed a connector on the back side. Also, if the batteries in the service indicator board on the back of the cluster are bad the speedo/tach may or may not work correctly.

Timeormoney New Reader
March 4, 2010 8:41 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn:

Checked Connectors, three times, all look good. I think it is probably the battery. If I don't have a working tach in the cluster, will that keep the ecu from controlling the spark?

March 4, 2010 8:46 a.m.

Since you have no advance I will also assume the ECU is not getting a good signal - since it runs we know its not the crank position so... check your lead from the spark plug wire back to the harness.

carzan Reader
March 4, 2010 9:55 a.m.

Are you using the same distributor? Also, you might as well go ahead and get some new wires. If they aren't causing this particular issue, they''ll cause another.

Timeormoney New Reader
March 4, 2010 12:15 p.m.

will check the connector for the signal next.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Reader's Ride of the Week: Enviate Hypercar

4 hours ago in News

There’s fast and there’s FAST–and then there’s this thing.

Join the Grassroots Motorsports Dyno Day

3 days ago in News

Join us for a dyno day in Sterling, Virginia.

From the GRM Vault: The Art of Understatement

4 days ago in Articles

The Harvey brothers dominated autocross in an obsolete Datsun a couple decades ago.

2017 Volkswagen Golf TSI SE

4 days ago in New Car Reviews

The quintessential European hatchback continues to pour out of Volkswagen's plants. Our test car featured four doors, a turbocharged 4-cylinder ...

We're Giving Away a $500 Race Ramps Certificate

5 days ago in News

Joining the drawing is totally free.

25 Project Path

5 days ago in Articles

A walk through 25 of our favorite project cars from the past.

Our Turbo Miata Goes Boom

6 days ago in Project Cars

Engine swap and suspension revamp before our race in two weeks? Challenge accepted.

The Ultimate Weekend Getaway for Your Car Club

1 week ago in News

Save a corral space just for your club at the Mitty.

Reader's Ride of the Week: V8 Jag

1 week ago in News

It’s a long-wheelbase 1974 Jaguar XJ6 fitted with a 350-cubic-inch Chevy V8.

Honing Cylinders

1 week ago in Project Cars

We hone our LS1's cylinders

Break Maiden

1 week ago in Articles

Creating a turbocharged road racing champion from a vintage Ford Mustang.

Meet Us at Sebring

1 week ago in News

We'll be at the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring. Will you?

OUR SPONSORS

Birthdays

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
dNmhWWprvxnXjQJRploQtyYLsjZyhXLz