njansenv
njansenv New Reader
8/14/08 12:29 p.m.

Soooo.... I'm under the e30 (325e) replacing the main brakeline that runs to the rear splitter.
It's gone well until now: the splitter is RUSTY (I'm WELL into the rust belt) and the bolt is seized. It seems the logical thing is to replace the splitter and steel lines to the wheels, except that those lines look REALLY difficult to get to. Is there an alternative? Does someone make stainless lines that would run from the splitter to the wheel? Is this a silly idea?

Thanks! Nathan (who will never, EVER buy another old car that lived in the rust belt!)

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
8/14/08 12:48 p.m.

It looks like all the parts are still available from BMW and they aren't all that expensive. Here's the parts diagram from the RealOEM website: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1254&mospid=47308&btnr=34_0153&hg=34&fg=15

(you should really page back to the main page on RealOEM and enter the VIN of your car, to make sure it brings you to the right page and shows the right parts - I arbitrarily entered 1986 as the build year but there may be some differences from one year to the next.)

JeremyB
JeremyB
8/14/08 8:19 p.m.

Changing those brake lines is one of the worst jobs on an E30. I did mine when I changed the subframe bushings on my car. Good luck, it's no fun.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
8/15/08 12:30 a.m.

I believe there is something about this in one of the more recent magazines (like past 3-4).

walterj
walterj HalfDork
8/15/08 8:20 a.m.

This isn't fun but its not that bad if you have some reason to be taking things out of the way... like say you need to replace the trailing arm & subframe bushings... once they are out its all easy.

njansenv
njansenv New Reader
8/15/08 2:59 p.m.

Thanks all. Due to a number of factors (mostly: I need the car back on the road ASAP and the local dealer doesn't have everything in stock), I ended up having some custom braided lines made up at the local speed shop and run off a new T in the middle. I'm not 'super' happy about it, but it's functional....and I certainly don't mind the old rubber hoses being replaced.

How big a job is it to drop the subframe? The bushings look ok, and the car drives quite nicely for 160k mile car on original...everything. I'm still debating whether to spend "a lot" on suspension goodies/engine swap....or just enjoy the car as it is.

Thanks again! Nathan

walterj
walterj HalfDork
8/15/08 3:51 p.m.

Its a big job but it isn't especially difficult if you have air tools and a buddy to help put the car in/out of gear while you do axle bolts, help lower/raise the diff, and open beer bottles.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DB5RjG2Ege7Mqs70tWVV9DhqZfqSM4WST2G87ZqvbH7WVkY3PCNsek7QIRD5ckFJ