1 2
Joshua
Joshua Reader
7/12/11 12:56 a.m.

My e36 was a lemon, but I still loved it when it was working well. I would buy the e30 if I did it over though.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
7/12/11 7:45 a.m.
bfrance wrote: Other than the cooling system issues, any other areas of concern for the E36 (beyond the usual used-car type of things to look for, that is)? Thanks again, -Ben

Rear upper shock mount rubber isolators - they seem to fall apart, and if you keep driving on them, they can damage the sheet metal.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/12/11 8:35 a.m.

best to get the later E46 versions... people also make MUCH better mounts that bolt right in like stock

bfrance
bfrance New Reader
7/13/11 6:13 p.m.

Thanks for the additional feedback thus far. Good to know about the rear upper shock mounts. My 855 had this same problem, so I'm familiar with it.

So, the general consensus is that either car would be a good choice overall? Any preferences if the car is going to be the sole daily driver, and still be a fun car for auto-x, track days, etc?

-Ben

mad_machine
7/13/11 6:14 p.m.

the E30 is simpler and lighter than the E36... but if you really want the best of both worlds.. you either want an E36 318t or Z car.. OR you want the same suspension swapped into an E30. gives you a lot more choices in brakes, rims, and suspension

docwyte
docwyte Reader
7/14/11 8:57 a.m.

The best thing about the E36 is that it doesn't have the E30 suspension. So if you're getting an E36, don't choose one with the older E30 suspension.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/14/11 9:36 a.m.

I have owned multiple versions of both and overall like the size and shape and visibility of the E30 better. For me, the ergonomics of an E30 are perfect.

Just put another one, this time a convertible, together with my daughter and am still amazed at how perfectly these things ride and drive, even with nearly 200,000 miles on them.

mad_machine
7/14/11 6:55 p.m.
docwyte wrote: The best thing about the E36 is that it doesn't have the E30 suspension. So if you're getting an E36, don't choose one with the older E30 suspension.

Some people prefer them with that suspension. I do.. I find the car more lively and responsive. I felt the coupe and sedan lacked some what when it came to how I felt I could control the car.

never knock the older style semi-trailing arm suspension. It worked well enough for the original M3 and the Porsche 944.. two of the best handling cars ever

PNW_E46
PNW_E46 New Reader
7/18/11 12:39 a.m.

What's your budget? You should be able to get a nice E46 330i for around $10k these days for an '01. Compared to an E30 though, it drives like a 5-series.

bfrance
bfrance New Reader
7/28/11 9:14 p.m.

Just checking back in on this thread. Thanks again for all of the input!

Tim, I really appreciate your insight, as I know you've had multiple copies of both of these cars. :)

I guess ultimately I need to get some seat time in both to form a conclusion on which I'd prefer. On a purely cosmetic front (I know, that's kind of the anti-grm focus,) I actually prefer the e30. I'm a big fan of boxy sedans and coupes, such as 1-series Volvo's, 510's, etc.

Budget wise, it would be a cash-paid car, so we're probably talking under 5k before any mods, but including bringing maintenance up to snuff.

I am curious on swapping the 318ti/z3 suspension to the e30. What are the benefits of this? How straight forward is it? (Wheels are turning now for real.... lol)

-Ben

mad_machine
7/29/11 6:46 a.m.

from what I understand, it is VERY straightforwards. Front struts and hubs (unlike the E30, E36 hubs are seperate from the strut) and the rear suspension from the ti/z3.

I am sure there is more to it.. but it gives you much better and bigger brakes, better choice of wheels. and cheaper suspension parts (in the front due to the hub/spindle being seperare from the strut)

The E30 chassis is not very tolerate of 17" or bigger rims though.. so sizing may be touchy

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
7/29/11 7:02 a.m.

^It's a very straight forward way to end up with caster issues up front! There are ways around it though. Like using M knuckles, 96+ M Control arms AND offset cabs to bring it back, but on some cars even that doesn't get it all way there. Here is the R3V sub forum on 5 lug swaps.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=133

Also, for me personally, I see no reason to do it unless you are going swap to M brakes. Then you have the issue of a severe imbalance between front rear rotor size/swept area/piston size.

You have to use M Coupe trailing arms to be able to use the matching rear brakes. The trailing arms themselves will likely run you 600-900 for a pair of them. Then after all that, you are still stuck with one piston, sliding calipers.

In reality, after you go through the expense/hassle to swap to 5 lug for the bigger brakes. You could just buy a matching front/rear setup from massivebrakes.com and call it a day.

How are they not tolerant of 17" wheels? My last two E30s ran 17s, and there is now a specific 17x8 ET 25 designed for direct fitment to be able to run 235/40/17s with only a light roll. Which is plenty o' tire for an E30.

Because of the strut angle from bottom to top, wider wheels are actually easier to fit in larger diameters. Even more so if you switch to coilovers.

HStockSolo
HStockSolo New Reader
7/29/11 9:12 a.m.
bfrance wrote: On a purely cosmetic front (I know, that's kind of the anti-grm focus,) I actually prefer the e30.

I tend to agree, though none of the 3-series are particularly attractive cars. They are mostly attractive to me from an engineering perspective. The E30 is obviously un-aerodynamic, but the small bumper cars look tidy and clean. The E36 coupe has some charms, but the E36 looks downright clunky from some angles in the front especially the M3.

I am curious on swapping the 318ti/z3 suspension to the e30.

I've been thinking alot about a M54 swapped ti--a.k.a. 330ti. Basically a cheaper, lighter, more practical M Coupe. The real M Coupes were all saddled with heavier iron blocks. The E36 front end is designed better for I6 placement. The E30 really seems designed for an I4.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PPoTvWLPS9hEclpArKGyM1x8z9r8VNgk5Ab1avaO37pKoLvum0xZ3JNyUY2cE1EU