1 2
Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/15/13 12:42 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Not only do I think you missed the point, I've got a hard time believing that decent E36 M3 shells are available "all day long" for ~$1k

I've bought 2 running, driving E36s for less than $1000 in the last year and bought a nicely prepped one with a blown motor (that I'm currently reinforcing and putting a cage in) for $3k.

There is no difference between an M3 and a 325 shell aside from some reinforcements above the rear subframe and there are 6 more that you need to do anyway ... no biggie to do 7. So. Yeah. He is right.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/15/13 1:32 p.m.

I didn't realize the diff, brakes, etc were the same between M and non-M models as well.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/15/13 1:33 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: I didn't realize the diff, brakes, etc were the same between M and non-M models as well.

you already have those things when swapping in a straight shell to fix your wreck

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/15/13 1:40 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
z31maniac wrote: I didn't realize the diff, brakes, etc were the same between M and non-M models as well.
you already have those things when swapping in a straight shell to fix your wreck

True, but we are dragging this off target. Since he isn't talking about keeping the drivetrain from his car.

speedf50
speedf50 New Reader
5/15/13 2:42 p.m.

Wrecking my only car and likely spending a month finding a shell and swapping everything into it is just not very appealing. Even if it does cost less than $1k, there's this thing called opportunity cost, and swapping everything over will take me quite a long time as it would be my first engine swap. It sounds like a lot of those who enjoy tracking their E36 M3 already have a backup car of some kind, I'm not denying that one can affordably track a M3, but it just isn't as affordable as tracking a Miata.

I've also been thinking of all the wear items/ unique parts in the M3 vs a miata: vanos parts, oil pump nut, more expensive to rebuild heads and motor, more expensive clutch, bigger more expensive tires and brakes, and a notoriously weak cooling system. The list goes on, for my purposes it makes sense to track a car I can afford to run, rather than one I'd be struggling to prep fully.

I really appreciate all the responses. I'm going to enjoy the M3 while I have it, but am preparing it for sale, rather than the track now, unless I come into some serious $$$.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z3dZKIiqzm9XvmM3H4JtdG5Z3xn4iaFNHXqlgDmcIUVXEPRDvEMKmMSSGSGWwz7N