tb
tb Reader
1/16/11 10:52 a.m.

I finally have permission to pick up another car and I am thinking an early e36 would be nice. Sadly I get confused easily and my google-fu is almost nonexistent... is there an easy way to positively identify an lsd equipped model (casting mark? bolts on the housing? fender tag?) without resorting to just parking one wheel in the snow to see what happens?

I have seen some information about differentials and gear ratios on different forums, but thought someone here might be able to point me to an accurate and handy guide or something...

Thanks in advance

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
1/16/11 11:40 a.m.

look for a tag on the diff cover bolts/ IIRC its on the right (from the rear).

S prefix == LSD. The rest is the gear ratio.

tb
tb Reader
1/16/11 12:36 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Thank you very much, I can probably remember that. I noticed your post about bartering an e36 last week; sadly I own nothing absolutely nothing of any interest to almost anyone...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
1/16/11 1:26 p.m.
tb wrote: In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: Thank you very much, I can probably remember that. I noticed your post about bartering an e36 last week; sadly I own nothing absolutely nothing of any interest to almost anyone...

Do you have cash? That also works since someone just put a sweet MGB GT up from Albany that desperately needs me to ruin it with too much power.

tb
tb Reader
1/16/11 3:07 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Do you have cash? That also works since someone just put a sweet MGB GT up from Albany that desperately needs me to ruin it with too much power.

I have also spent way too long looking at that MGB ad ...

Yes, I have cash. Post up (or pm me through site) some pics and any other important details (like exactly where you are located) and I will talk to my boss about it.

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
OYZowDywVNbZIgmgLPRHAG99TR90lEmj