1 2 3 4
dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/13/14 10:32 a.m.

Looks like a good one, any maintenance details besides the tires/battery?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
5/13/14 10:48 a.m.

I'm pretty sure that car will do exactly what you want it to. Go through it with a fine toothed comb and catch up on all maintenance. It might cost you a couple grand, but avoiding a breakdown halfway between Houston and Austin with your boss in the car on a 112 degree Texas day would be worth it.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/13/14 11:15 a.m.

I was going to give you grief for going buying Bavarian, but I couldn't find a better Italian option

Nice score!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
5/13/14 11:59 a.m.

Well done!!

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
5/13/14 12:12 p.m.

After the phone calls im surprised i had to find out about this purchase on the internet. But congrats!

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/13/14 10:50 p.m.

Day one of commute in 540i/6 done.

I really kinda dig this car.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
5/13/14 11:37 p.m.

After checking it out firsthand and driving it i am very pleasantly surprised by the condition, considering the age. And V8 torque is nice! Unfortunately we had tons of rain today (for once) so i didnt get the full effect in 1st gear, the but the traction control works pretty well.

Overall the thing that struck me the most was how well this design is aging. It doesnt feel anywhere close to a 16 year old car or an 18 year old design.

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/14/14 6:21 a.m.

Congratulations on your purchase! Looks like a good catch!

m4ff3w
5/24/14 8:25 a.m.

I've put 2500 miles on her. I gotta say, I'm digging this car ALOT.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
5/24/14 11:21 a.m.
m4ff3w wrote: I've put 2500 miles on her. I gotta say, I'm digging this car ALOT.

I hate you I wanted one of these as my next "big boy" car just because. Either that or a v8 B5 S4.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
5/25/14 12:22 a.m.

I love my 2001 515iT manual with all my heart.

I'd hold out for a 530i manual sedan if it didn't have to be a wagon.

Cooling system is super easy, there's the usual little electrical stuff. Drop the major coin and get the 2 huge frightening volume Bentley manuals, and realoem.com is your friend for parts look up. I get parts from Bav Auto, ECS Tuning and occasionally eBay. When the stereo amp sh1t the bed I found a new old stock unused oned - out of it's package - on eBay for like $110. A new one costs new car money and the old used ones aren't much less than I paid but are all unknowns.

They're great, great cars. Try for sport package or at least the sport suspension. I have a bunch of great handling cars and this is ~perfect~ street car suspension as it came from the factory.

m4ff3w
5/29/14 9:54 p.m.

I've put 2500 miles on her since I got her the 19th. After a massive amount of rain the Speedo stopped working triggering the ABC/Traction control lights. As soon as it dried out it started working again. Hopefully some dielectric grease on the speed sensor will keep that from happening again.

I changed the oil with 8 qts of Mobil 1 0w-40. The engine is as clean as can be, as viewed through the oil fill cap.

I'm ridiculously happy with my $4500 purchase.

m4ff3w
6/13/14 6:31 p.m.

I've put almost 5400 miles on her... averaging almost 25mpg.

I really dig this car. Heated seats are the best thing ever for road trips, even if it is 100F outside.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/14/14 1:02 p.m.

The pictures make the seats and door panels look purple. Are they really?

Rupert
Rupert Reader
6/14/14 2:05 p.m.

When I was subcontracting for BMW in Bavaria I leased one almost identical to yours. It was as sweet a commuter car as I ever drove on the Autobahn. Which is good because I had a fairly long daily commute. Thank God I didn't have to pay the gasoline bill! It averaged $75 every other day.

Everything I saw stamped or assembled at the Dingelfingen plant was top notch. And that also includes the bodyside and roof stampings for 911 Porsches.

Good Catch!!!

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
6/14/14 2:57 p.m.

In reply to Rupert:

My $116 every other day fuel bill laughs at you. But like you I'm not footing the bill.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
6/14/14 3:27 p.m.

Very nice but now the Biturbo won't get used on a daily basis.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
6/14/14 3:50 p.m.
Hasbro wrote: Very nice but now the Biturbo won't get used on a daily basis.

Wait, did you get it back together? It actually is a useable car again?

I love E39, I've had four though all 6 cylinder cars.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
6/15/14 12:06 a.m.

Do the fuel pump! They've left me, another E46 friend, and an E39 friend stranded on the side of the road.

m4ff3w
6/20/14 8:15 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: The pictures make the seats and door panels look purple. Are they really?

Good eye, the color is a really really dark purple. Most people think it is black in person.

m4ff3w
6/20/14 8:18 a.m.
chandlerGTi wrote:
Hasbro wrote: Very nice but now the Biturbo won't get used on a daily basis.
Wait, did you get it back together? It actually is a useable car again? I love E39, I've had four though all 6 cylinder cars.

I have Bitrouble no more :(

m4ff3w
7/10/14 1:19 p.m.

In reply to m4ff3w:

I can't have nice things....

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
7/10/14 1:26 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: In reply to m4ff3w: I can't have nice things....

WT!!!??? Dude that sucks!!! Did the truck do it or did you back into it??

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/10/14 1:35 p.m.

sorry.

That doesn't look like a cheap fix. Hopefully they don't total that sucker. I guess it depends on how the rear quarter is held on to the car.

m4ff3w
7/10/14 2:07 p.m.

From one forum post:

When it comes to quarter panel replacement it is alot bigger of a deal. The quarter panel is welded to the car. To replace the quarter you would need to remove the rear window because it is spot weld inside the jam and you would have to section the rear door jamb and the rear pillar to weld the new one on.
1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QKG2NhRalLJun30hdHuJdXcxk2ZsMQ9IXtM9t9WUbsTPtHyZfzn2aYC0xiELrr9G