1 2 3
mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/24/16 11:21 a.m.

I'm starting to see 2012 Fiesta Sedans with manual transmissions dipping below $5k locally. Not a performance car by any stretch but if I could grab one for $4k I think I could rallycross it and teach my kids to drive in it and send them on their way without caring about the car itself too much. The sedans are cheaper than the hatch otherwise I'd be looking at those.
So, any issues with these?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/16 11:54 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Blasphemer!! Those are not early Fiestas.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/24/16 11:56 a.m.

Sorry, should maybe have said early current Fiestas. I know the actual old ones are cooler.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
9/24/16 11:57 a.m.

The carbs were not great, and they were a bit cold in the winter.

Now we old guys are just picking on you.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Reader
9/24/16 12:45 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

Now that was a fun car for it's time !

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/24/16 1:04 p.m.

The manual trans ones are good as long as there's no whine in 5th, or you'll lose it soon. The gear just wears down to nothing.

I've only seen it a handful of times, all 11-13s. Best guess is bad batch of heat treating?

They whine before complete failure. Gears 1-4 still work just fine.

Engine and everything else is overall solid just cheaply built. And for some reason most used ones smell awful in my experience.

1966stang
1966stang Reader
9/24/16 1:06 p.m.

I have had the exact same idea. Keep my R53, buy an old fiesta as a winter car and kids car, and then add a BRZ to the fleet...

1966stang
1966stang Reader
9/24/16 1:07 p.m.
Woody wrote: In reply to mazdeuce: Blasphemer!! Those are not early Fiestas.

Even more fun than that would be a early seventies Capri...they got that one right!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/24/16 1:21 p.m.
flatlander937 wrote: The manual trans ones are good as long as there's no whine in 5th, or you'll lose it soon. The gear just wears down to nothing. I've only seen it a handful of times, all 11-13s. Best guess is bad batch of heat treating? They whine before complete failure. Gears 1-4 still work just fine. Engine and everything else is overall solid just cheaply built. And for some reason most used ones smell awful in my experience.

Thanks for all of that, very good to know about 5th. Solidly but cheaply sounds perfect to me.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
9/24/16 5:39 p.m.

the only problem was the dual clutch transmission. Even then it was spotty. The internet would make you think it was every one. Not true.
The 5 speed manual is a version of the one they have been using for years. Never had so much fun with 120 hp

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/24/16 5:49 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: The carbs were not great, and they were a bit cold in the winter.

Yeah, and the hubs don't hold up well to roadracing on sticky tires. See avatar.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
9/24/16 6:45 p.m.
iceracer wrote: the only problem was the dual clutch transmission. Even then it was spotty. The internet would make you think it was every one. Not true. The 5 speed manual is a version of the one they have been using for years. Never had so much fun with 120 hp

One of my neighbors had a focus with a dual clutch trans with problems. It only had like 20k miles on it. The dealer around the corner said it needed a new trans. I told him to try a different dealer, and they did a software update that he said solved most of the issues. I don't talk to him a lot, but he's still driving that car almost 2 years later, so I guess it didn't need a trans.

I would imagine that the fiesta trans and it's issues are similar.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/24/16 6:49 p.m.
iceracer wrote: Never had so much fun with 120 hp

I figure it should be pretty close to what my Mazda2 was. Not exactly the same but close enough for fun.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
9/24/16 7:44 p.m.

My first car memories were in my dads orange fiesta doing donuts in the school gravel parking lot with my brothers. Sadly being kids we ratted him out to mom as we had way too much fun to keep it quiet.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
9/25/16 9:42 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
Streetwiseguy wrote: The carbs were not great, and they were a bit cold in the winter.
Yeah, and the hubs don't hold up well to roadracing on sticky tires. See avatar.

Nothing that some Tempo parts couldn't fix. Owned 3, raced 1.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/25/16 10:51 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
iceracer wrote: Never had so much fun with 120 hp
I figure it should be pretty close to what my Mazda2 was. Not exactly the same but close enough for fun.

the suspension will be the same, other than the 4x108 wheels. And the weight penalty that the fiesta has over the 2.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/16 5:55 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote:
iceracer wrote: the only problem was the dual clutch transmission. Even then it was spotty. The internet would make you think it was every one. Not true. The 5 speed manual is a version of the one they have been using for years. Never had so much fun with 120 hp
One of my neighbors had a focus with a dual clutch trans with problems. It only had like 20k miles on it. The dealer around the corner said it needed a new trans. I told him to try a different dealer, and they did a software update that he said solved most of the issues. I don't talk to him a lot, but he's still driving that car almost 2 years later, so I guess it didn't need a trans. I would imagine that the fiesta trans and it's issues are similar.

Reflashing helps immensely. Have fixed a few weird-shifting Fiestas with a software update.

I notice that VW dual-clutch transmissions have a lengthy process for the computer learning where the clutch engagement and disengagement points are and Fords do not, I wonder if this is related. I don't know what adaptives Fords have in the computer.

Knurled
9/26/16 5:56 a.m.
jimbbski wrote: Nothing that some Tempo parts couldn't fix.

files under "Things I never ever would have thought I'd read, even at GRM"

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/26/16 6:20 a.m.

I was skeptical to the idea that current Fiestas could be bought under $5k so I went looking.

Sure enough.

2011 w/ 89k asking $5k.
Manual sedan

2012 w/ 168k asking $3k, firm.
Manual sedan

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/26/16 7:52 a.m.

I also chatted up a guy with a blazing fast (relatively) Fiesta ST at the track yesterday. Among the interesting things he had done to the car was swap to 4x100 hubs. Said it was one of the cheapest easiest things he had done on the car. I know the rear Mazda2 hubs would bolt straight over and I assume the fronts do as well. He said it was way cheaper to swap hubs than to mess with sourcing quality light 4x108 wheels.
The plot thickens......

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/26/16 8:02 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

hubs are different sizes and brakes are slightly different as well. But look up RAAM(?) on the fiesta ST forums and he is running re-drilled hubs and rotors and i believe he does them for about $400 he will also do the drums as well. I believe the Taiwan model of the current fiesta is 4x100 as well.

Knurled
9/26/16 12:54 p.m.

Huh. I had no idea that the Fiesta and Mazda2 used different bolt pattern.

Verry innteresting.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
9/26/16 1:30 p.m.

Ford has issue a 100k mile warranty on the clutches and seal which seems to be the main problem.

Ford mentions a learning period but I never saw any changes. I just drove it like I always do.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/27/16 6:06 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I also chatted up a guy with a blazing fast (relatively) Fiesta ST at the track yesterday. Among the interesting things he had done to the car was swap to 4x100 hubs. Said it was one of the cheapest easiest things he had done on the car. I know the rear Mazda2 hubs would bolt straight over and I assume the fronts do as well. He said it was way cheaper to swap hubs than to mess with sourcing quality light 4x108 wheels. The plot thickens......

They use the same wheel bearing.

Get rear hubs, front hub flanges(press in type), and new front bearings(because chances are high of destruction to the outer race that will stick to the old flange). Done.

Oh, and 4x100 rotors and drums :)

I have Fiesta calipers on my 2. Bolt right up, small difference in casting but its fine. Details in my build thread. Mazda2 rotors and base Fiesta rotors are identical save for the bolt pattern.

Knurled
9/27/16 7:10 p.m.

So I could get a Fiesta ST and put Mazda2 hubs and brakes on it and continue to use my wealth of 4x100 wheels? Very nice!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IhuJgMPesizzedKOFSkqbyh62dryi1WNzGBA2iZypcbK7xyy9FvfGUWCXYjwzW6g