ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
7/2/19 10:07 p.m.

I am in the market for action cam that can overlay data such as RPM, speed, breaking etc from data logger software that can work for Solo/autocross and also track day. What would be the easy button/proven answer of action cam + data logger software for these purposes? 

Thanks all.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
7/2/19 11:08 p.m.

Solostorm bundle (software, OBDII dongle, GPS) plus Garmin Virb, done.  

Petrel Data

Great product, plus Mike is a good dude 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/2/19 11:45 p.m.

In reply to SnowMongoose :

Maybe you won't need the external GPS with the Garmin Virb Ultra 30. It has 10 hz GPS

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/3/19 12:11 a.m.
SnowMongoose said:

Petrel Data

this. solostorm is the only app to bother with for autox. 

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/3/19 12:52 a.m.

IMHO the easy button is the AIM smartycam.  It accepts data over CAN bus and renders it onto the video as it records it, so there's no post-processing required other than any trimming you want to do.  Note that I said easy, not cheap. :)

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
7/3/19 6:06 a.m.
SnowMongoose said:

Petrel Data

Will it work for track day too and how hard is it to edit the video to overlay the data? Also, how good or bad is the battery on the Garmin Virb? I’ve only used cheap action cams in the past and their battery died pretty fast when it’s hot outside (ie most autocrosses lol). I don’t mind paying extra if it’s a proven reliable and easy to use combo.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
7/4/19 12:42 a.m.

In reply to ea_sport :

Yes, has a track-day mode, the overlay is stupid easy to set up/edit/export.  

(Also cool that SS has a cloud function that allows you to compare data with other folks)

Battery life is my only complaint about the Virb, can solve it either by adding a hole to the external case or do what I did and just buy a bundle with charger and pair of extra batteries, something like $20 from amazon.

(one battery will last, during summer, one AX heat, dual driving the car, plus the first lap or so of the next heat)

In reply to Floating Doc :

I've never tried to use the GPS of the Virb, not sure if SoloStorm can talk to it as a camera and GPS simultaneously.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/19 5:11 a.m.

I have heard that the Virb's GPS is a little laggy, anyway.

This did not dissuade me from buying one.

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
7/4/19 8:36 a.m.

You guys persuaded me to lean toward solostorm. A few questions to solostorm users:

1. For the Android device, do I need to have data plan or do I only need to use the Bluetooth to connect?

2. Can I use the camera on the Android device or is it better to use action cams like GoPro or the Virb?

2. If I change/upgrade my Android device can I download the software to the new device or I can only download it once?

3. The solostorm website shows GoPro, any reason why you all prefer Garmin Virb vs GoPro?

4. So for cars with OBD2 presumably I need the connectivity package right?

thanks all

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/4/19 8:47 a.m.

What about for those of us pre OBD2 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/19 8:50 a.m.
captdownshift said:

What about for those of us pre OBD2 

AiM will read the propietary CAN that Megasquirt uses.  At least, the literature says so.

I want to run Motronic 4.4 in teh Quantum instead of MS3Pro strictly because of OBDII commonality.  That and cheapness.  (But, MS3Pro would allow coil on plug and rotational idle and antilag and KEKEEEKAPOW turbo explosions.  So... dilemma)

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
7/4/19 9:27 a.m.
ea_sport said:

You guys persuaded me to lean toward solostorm. A few questions to solostorm users:

1. For the Android device, do I need to have data plan or do I only need to use the Bluetooth to connect?

2. Can I use the camera on the Android device or is it better to use action cams like GoPro or the Virb?

2. If I change/upgrade my Android device can I download the software to the new device or I can only download it once?

3. The solostorm website shows GoPro, any reason why you all prefer Garmin Virb vs GoPro?

4. So for cars with OBD2 presumably I need the connectivity package right?

thanks all

1. Only need data to upload/share/etc. (Good since I do most of my racing in Canada, and have nothing resembling cell service while doing so)

2a. Using the camera on the phone is an option, most opt for the action cam for higher resolution and better placement (I suction cup mine high, just behind the driver's side door, gives me footage of cone proximity, where I'm looking, and my hands)

2b. Once you've purchased SoloStorm the license is yours, simply punch your email into their website when you need to reinstall and you're good.

3. I was having issues with a GoPro 'Session 4' and asked Mike what he recommended, he said Virb played best with the software (which I've found to be true)

4. Good place to start, yeah

Floating Doc
7/4/19 10:01 a.m.

In reply to SnowMongoose :

Good information here, very relevant to my interests. Autocross only, no track use.

I have a Hero 4. Hate it. Convinced me to never buy another Gopro, so a Garmin Virb will be my choice when I get ready to buy solostorm. 

I already have a Sony handy cam so I can reliably get video, but I don't think it will interface with ss.

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
7/6/19 6:03 a.m.

Which Garmin VIRB model is the cheapest one that’ll work with SoloStorm.

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
7/7/19 4:39 p.m.

I saw a few drivers using Track Addict app on their iPhone at an autocross event today. How is Track Addict compared to Solo Storm?

Floating Doc
7/7/19 4:44 p.m.
ea_sport said:

I saw a few drivers using Track Addict app on their iPhone at an autocross event today. How is Track Addict compared to Solo Storm?

Good question. Some of my friends run track addict, but I've never learned much about it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BX2uhlP0G2FMcMZJVtdR1PIWdrDU2tTWixJ4Ydud2394jhM821xMwyjqTzcxi8QE