Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/19 11:29 a.m.

Has anybody here used one of these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312720601909?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

I'm thinking about getting one but I'd like to know how big of an air tank it requires. Ideally, I'd prefer to run it off a small pancake compressor.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/2/19 12:39 p.m.

For no specific or informed reason, that thing scares the hell out of me.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/19 12:47 p.m.

I'd want to pair it with a set of jackstands, but that's true of any jack. It doesn't scare me any more than a HF hydraulic unit. Heck, I use airbags like that to hold up my truck when I'm driving cross-country.

You can probably calculate the air requirements from that sticker. A pancake would be slower. The sticker says a max pressure of 113 psi, now you just need volume :)

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/2/19 3:08 p.m.

When I've seen the airbags on Highway Thru Hell they're using more, larger air bags filled by pretty standard looking portable compressor. This is to get a semi on its wheels.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/19 3:18 p.m.

Thickened rubber!

6" compressed height is too tall for anything but my truck, and 18" extended is too short for my truck to move at all.  I love the idea, but the dimensions aren't there with this one

therieldeal
therieldeal Reader
12/2/19 3:57 p.m.
Patrick said:

Thickened rubber!

6" compressed height is too tall for anything but my truck, and 18" extended is too short for my truck to move at all.  I love the idea, but the dimensions aren't there with this one

Use with a nice big block of wood for your truck, perhaps?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/19 4:44 p.m.
Patrick said:

Thickened rubber!

Good catch. I missed the compressed height. The idea is to keep it as small as possible and use blocks to extend the lift.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5500LBS-Double-Bag-Air-Jack-Pneumatic-Jack-Lift-Jack-Jacking-Tool-Fast-Lift-2-5T/274022653592?hash=item3fcd05de98:g:YmMAAOSw3CxcuUdD

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/19 5:11 p.m.

Keep the welder away!

outasite
outasite HalfDork
12/2/19 5:33 p.m.

We had a pair of these for use on an old alignment rack without built in air jacks. Using shop compressed air, they lifted quickly. However, using two when lifting front or rear of vehicle, there was no lateral stability.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/2/19 5:36 p.m.
Patrick said:

Thickened rubber!

My first thought as well.  It uses a pretty standard off-the-shelf suspension spring which only has a very limited distance from fully compressed to fully extended.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
12/3/19 7:57 a.m.
outasite said:

We had a pair of these for use on an old alignment rack without built in air jacks. Using shop compressed air, they lifted quickly. However, using two when lifting front or rear of vehicle, there was no lateral stability.

My first thought was also about the total lack of lateral stability. I'd stay far away from these.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
12/3/19 9:43 a.m.

Used these in body shops all the time, frame machines and many 4 post lifts don't have jacks, and this pneumatic airbag is great to lift a car real quick to get it on a block of wood or onto a short jack stand.  Its stable enough for a quick lift, but like anything you need to use a jack stand for safety sake before working on anything. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/19 4:13 p.m.
Tyler H said:

Probably the lack of any visible stabilizing mechanism, unless there are telescoping shafts inside it seems like it could flop around like an accordion.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/4/19 9:30 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
Tyler H said:

Probably the lack of any visible stabilizing mechanism, unless there are telescoping shafts inside it seems like it could flop around like an accordion.

Not sure what these offer that a bottle jack doesn't?  (serious question)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eJAnLva3qO9D8zNQmmd08gpgbYZPgM8sXekRAuLe16TqM7Q5tWBdmUtyEJCKbImj