1 2
16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
1/28/15 10:41 a.m.

So I'm in the market for some new seats for the 944. The current non-sport leather seats look like they may have dishonored some poor badger's family. In other words, they're berkeleyed.

All I want is some sporty, supportive, reclinable seats in solid black leather (or faux-leather), that aren't hideous. I've found all sorts for around $200 a pair, but they all have some splash of dumb looking color on them. You'd think they'd be easier to make in solid black, so they should at least be the same price! Is this because the seat manufacturers have a bunch of dumb looking seats left over from the ricer fads? I don't get why a plain black seat is so hard to find, and more expensive.

Examples:

These are $199 shipped. They would be perfectly acceptable if they were solid black, but are berkeleying hideous as-is.

These are $206 shipped, and would be perfectly acceptable if they were all vinyl. I don't want cloth.

These are $214 shipped, and would be acceptable if they just had black stitching. I'm considering taking a sharpie to these (or more likely fabric dye).

These are $221 shipped. Dumb fake suede AND red stitching kill the deal.

$247 shipped is the cheapest all black fake leather seats I can find, and they're way uglier than all the previous examples.

Also $247 shipped. These aren't bad, but white stitching. At least that's easier to cover up.

Also $247. Ugly.

$250 shipped. berkeleying gross.

$250 shipped. They're alright, but the insert looks grey, and they're described as "carbon fiber look", so I'm guessing they'll probably look like trash in real life.

The first set to actually check all the boxes is $285. WTF?

evildky
evildky Dork
1/28/15 10:49 a.m.

Because what good are fake racing seats if everyone can't see from a mile away that you have fake racing seats? You are not their target buyer, they are selling to 18 year olds who want to put them in their hand me down appliance car to go with the stick on hood scoop, giant wing, stick on ventiports and giant heavy wheels with uber stretched tires. It would be a lot easier to find what you want from an actual race seat but then the cost goes up substantially.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/28/15 10:57 a.m.

Eww to all of those. If you want racy seats that recline, buy a pair of evo8 recaro take outs. Otherwise, buy fixed back.

Also, screw vinyl/leather. FWIW, I scored my evo8 recaro seats for $300 locally.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
1/28/15 10:59 a.m.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I've always wondered how those knock-off seats would fare in an actual collision. Maybe buy one "real" seat at time?

docwyte
docwyte Dork
1/28/15 11:01 a.m.

So you're complaining that the knock off, cheap ass seats don't exactly match what you want?

Easy fix. Spend more money and get what you want.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
1/28/15 11:08 a.m.

Boxster take-outs seem like the right path here, right?

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
1/28/15 11:11 a.m.
docwyte wrote: So you're complaining that the knock off, cheap ass seats don't exactly match what you want? Easy fix. Spend more money and get what you want.

Well duh. But my real complaint was that the solid black seats cost more than the seats with color for no actual reason. It just happens that I want solid black seats.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
1/28/15 11:15 a.m.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/pts/4859107013.html

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
1/28/15 11:19 a.m.

Those forst seats would work if you picked up some SEM spray black dye for them and hit the red sections.

A paint jobber could mix some black vinyl dye as well, but the SEM brand is pretty perfect if you follow the directions (those tiny words on the side of the can.)

Might be worth it for you. Solve your dilemma and add in a smidge of Grass Roots do-it-yourself as well.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
1/28/15 11:23 a.m.
TeamEvil wrote: Those forst seats would work if you picked up some SEM spray black dye for them and hit the red sections. A paint jobber could mix some black vinyl dye as well, but the SEM brand is pretty perfect if you follow the directions (those tiny words on the side of the can.) Might be worth it for you. Solve your dilemma and add in a smidge of Grass Roots do-it-yourself as well.

I've used that stuff before on a dash that was the wrong color and it worked out great. I'm definitely considering that as an option, but I'm kind of worried about it wearing off and revealing the horrible color underneath.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
1/28/15 11:23 a.m.

I put a cheap FRP Bride copy in my Miata from these guys. http://sonicmotor.com/-sonic-motor-/b-13212.aspx?bid=13212&cid=10104 It was $200 plus shipping and was a decent cheap-assed seat. It wasn't a two-toned ghetto nightmare either.

There is of course no substitute for spending $$ and getting the good stuff.

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
1/28/15 11:27 a.m.
Matt B wrote: Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I've always wondered how those knock-off seats would fare in an actual collision. Maybe buy one "real" seat at time?

This was a big concern for me. I also learned that there is no standard for any aftermarket seat with a reclining feature. In the end I made a list of cars with decent seats and watched CL until I found something I liked.

Here is my list: S2000, evo, STI, '04 and later GTO, RSX-S, Prelude, RX8, and GTI. There are some others from Ford that are too new for me to think I had a chance at finding them.

The S2000 seats were my favorite, but they do not flip forward far enough for what I wanted. I ended up with some seats out of a GTI for ~$100/pair. I fabricated my own brackets.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
1/28/15 11:30 a.m.

I'd love someone to buy some of these and give us some real feedback as to what the build quality, comfort and perceived safety is like.

Serious Q, why not cloth? I love leather for DD's and family haulers due to its easy clean nature, but for a toy or sports car I'd prefer cloth for the lack of slip slide awayeness.

BeardedJag
BeardedJag New Reader
1/28/15 11:33 a.m.

SRT-4 seats are pretty nice as well. What I was told, they use the same frame as the viper.

BeardedJag
BeardedJag New Reader
1/28/15 11:35 a.m.

And 4th gen Trans Ams have all kinds of adjustability to them.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/28/15 11:42 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I'd love someone to buy some of these and give us some real feedback as to what the build quality, comfort and perceived safety is like.

This. I've been watching Craigslist for used Corbeaus or Recaros for months, and all I see are late-model Camaro and Mustang takeouts that are $1000+. I am sorely tempted to take a chance on some of these cheap seats, but I am concerned about the safety aspect. I don't suppose there's any kind of DOT or NHTSA minimum safety standard for aftermarket seats, is there?

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
1/28/15 11:44 a.m.

I'd be concerned about these cheap aftermarket seats in a crash, especially getting hit from the rear. Your neck might appreciated having a seat capable of passing a rear impact test. If it were me, I would put up the money for better quality aftermarket seating , or prowl the local junkyards for an OEM seat that might fit.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
1/28/15 11:49 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:
You have to be really patient and be ready to spring when something comes up. Over the last decade I've bagged a pair of VW Recaros, a pair of black aftermarket cloth Recaros,a pair of 1st gen Viper seats, and a pair of Recaro Ideal-C seats. None cost me more than $200/pair. BUT, that's over a ten year period, so Good Luck!

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/28/15 11:50 a.m.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-2004-mustang-corbeau-seat-bucket-seat-COBRA-ROUSH-with-slider-and-bracket-/331460187967?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d2c91173f&vxp=mtr

Why not buy that?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/28/15 11:56 a.m.

Follow DeadSkunk's sage wisdom. Find a Volvo in the junkyard and get real perforated vinyl recaros for that money.

My dad's 70 Chevelle has a pair of heated power adjustable BMW sport seats out of a lux M3. They are brilliant upgrades.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
1/28/15 11:56 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I'd love someone to buy some of these and give us some real feedback as to what the build quality, comfort and perceived safety is like. Serious Q, why not cloth? I love leather for DD's and family haulers due to its easy clean nature, but for a toy or sports car I'd prefer cloth for the lack of slip slide awayeness.

My friend Chris (sporqster) has a pair in his '79 911, and they seem good enough. I've never tried to adjust them, and I didn't install them, so I can't really comment on the quality of the mounting points, etc., but just from sitting in them they seem comfortable enough and don't feel flimsy.

And the reason I don't want cloth is this will be a daily/toy, so I'd like them to be easy to clean and for them to match the back seat.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
1/28/15 11:59 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Follow DeadSkunk's sage wisdom. Find a Volvo in the junkyard and get real perforated vinyl recaros for that money.

What Volvo had them? Most of the Volvo seats I see in junkyards look more like recliners than sport seats.

Tom_Spangler
1/28/15 12:13 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-2004-mustang-corbeau-seat-bucket-seat-COBRA-ROUSH-with-slider-and-bracket-/331460187967?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d2c91173f&vxp=mtr Why not buy that?

If you are asking the OP, he wanted something that reclines. If you are asking me, I do, too.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/28/15 12:16 p.m.

In reply to 16vCorey:

Whatever this is. They were in the wagons of the 80s/90s too. VW also had them, probably SAAB.

Tom_Spangler
1/28/15 12:25 p.m.

Corey, what about these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1159-2/overview/

Most of the reviews are pretty positive, they mostly complain about the weight.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aeGtIQ8xupHghfwM7uXvefJ0ChjLPusdSpjYMnP11HicBx8mhnLmsCMQdhjjGpup