carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
2/5/19 1:19 p.m.

Thought it would be worth updating where this (looking-at-an-ecodiesel-ram-good-or-bad-idea) road lead, and it definitely took a turn from where I was originally going.

The mixed reaction to the ecodiesel here and the same less than positive reaction from a few local mechanics that have never steered me wrong, lead me to a point of realizing I just couldn't see myself dropping the money on something I would have doubts about and that I would already in the back of my head be planning to replace, even it it was a "good deal".  I ended up purchasing a new 2018 F-150 with the 3.5 ecoboost motor.  I was trying to find a 2.7, but finding a left over '18 with the options I wanted was nearly impossible.  Found a 3.5 with everything I wanted/needed, and nothing I didn't, and solid price for the Northern California region.  By new 1/2 ton truck standards it is spec'd pretty light:

-XLT, Super Crew, 4wd, 3.5 Ecoboost

-Max Tow Package (3.55 e-locker, brake controller, backup assist, extra coolers, etc.)

-Sport Package (Really just wanted the black interior, center console shifter and de-chromed exterior)

-XLT Power and Equipment Packages (remote start, power slider w/ defrost, 110v outlets, led bed lights, etc.)

I've had the truck for less than a week, but so far I am really enjoying it.  Coming from an '06 Ranger and the BRZ, it is a big change.  It gets better mileage than the old Ranger, while soaking up the daily commuter with ease.  It is definitely a nice relaxing place to spend some time, much less frantic than the busy BRZ.  Oh, and it is definately not lacking in the power department at all! I worked the dealer's demo truck pretty hard and I really don't think something this size should gain speed the way it does.

With all that said, is there anything I need to look out for on these trucks?  I know the motor was updated in '17, and got port injection, so from what I've read that will help with any of the valve build-up issues.  Does that negate the need for a catch can?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/5/19 1:24 p.m.

Thanks....  smiley

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
2/5/19 1:35 p.m.
alfadriver said:

Thanks....  smiley

Haha, you are very welcome! laugh

tjbell
tjbell HalfDork
2/5/19 2:13 p.m.

Sharp truck! I recall one needing a head due to a burnt up valve/seat, but i think it was a 2.7l.  either way I cant remember. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/5/19 2:27 p.m.

I'm on vehicles #2 and 3 with this engine. I'm a fan. But keep your foot out of it unless you want the mileage to be very V8-like. I refer to them as Eco/Boost, because you can have one or the other, but not both. laugh

JTNWEvo
JTNWEvo New Reader
2/5/19 2:29 p.m.

I've got a 2013 FX4 with the 3.5L. No issues at 68k miles other than it seems to want new spark plugs every 25k miles. Mine seems to get some mild hesitation/missing under load every 25,000 miles that new plugs fixes.  I don't have a catch can on it but once the warranty ran out I installed a Banks CAI and Darringer piggy-back tuner and its so much better. Way more power and much more eager to rev.

Enjoy!

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
2/5/19 3:04 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

I'm on vehicles #2 and 3 with this engine. I'm a fan. But keep your foot out of it unless you want the mileage to be very V8-like. I refer to them as Eco/Boost, because you can have one or the other, but not both. laugh

I can definitely see how easy it would be to get a little too greedy with the throttle on these trucks and tank any hopes of hitting a decent fuel economy number.  Luckily I tend to drive with a pretty smooth and light foot (most of the time), and I've usually been able to manage above average numbers for our cars.  It is nice though knowing that you have more than enough power in reserve for those less than conservative moments, haha!!

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
2/5/19 3:14 p.m.

In reply to JTNWEvo :

Good info on the plugs, I'll have to keep that in mind down the line. No plan for anything drivetrain related at the moment, it makes plenty of power (for now), and no sense it risking the factory warranty.  I will look more into it once the warranty comes to an end.

Current plans for the truck are pretty basic:

-Cargo Mangement (spray-in liner, factory adaptive tie-down brackets, soft open tailgate, etc.)

-Mild suspension leveling install (still haven't decided which shocks)

-Slightly larger, not aggressive a/t tire (~32" stock to 33-34")

-Factory skid plates (I skipped the factory FX4 package since I knew I would be swapping the shocks later anyway)

-Center console lock box 

-Some type of upgrade for the headlights, which are my only real gripe at this point.

Coming from the old Ranger and BRZ, I still can't get over how much interior space these things have.  I'm starting to understand why they have become the modern family station wagon!

JTNWEvo
JTNWEvo New Reader
2/5/19 4:34 p.m.

I put Fox 2.0 shocks on front and rear of mine and I think they are awesome. Spendy but really good.  Leveled out the front and provides over all much better on and off-road performance.  I also installed a Hellwig rear sway-bar and highly recommend one the of those too.  Much more controlled with way less body roll.

I did the rear Fox shocks first and was amazed at how much better the rear-end was.

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/5/19 4:48 p.m.

May I suggest a Tailgate lock? Around here truck tailgates like to go on random walkabout. At least those with a factory back up camera. 

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
2/5/19 4:57 p.m.

In reply to Mr. Lee :

That was on my short list of quick adds knowing that neighbors have had theirs stolen, but the stock tailgate has an electronic lock that works with the power doorlocks on the cab.  To be honest it caught be off guard the first time I heard it lock.

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
2/5/19 4:59 p.m.

In reply to JTNWEvo :

That is the direction I am probably going to go.  With my background in desert racing, fox and king are high on my list.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/6/19 7:48 a.m.

Just dropped you a message.  I'm shopping that exact truck and I had a question for you.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/6/19 7:51 a.m.
carczar_84 said:

-Some type of upgrade for the headlights, which are my only real gripe at this point.

My 2011 had awful headlights. Sad to hear that's still the case. I know the upper trim levels have LEDs or HIDs or something. Can you retrofit those?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/6/19 7:58 a.m.

Bilstein makes a pretty solid product for most all modern trucks as well. Not as good as Fox, but quite a lot cheaper and they have snap rings on the body to adjust height when you assemble them for all of the spring on body tricks. 

Agree on an updated rear sway.  They give a sportiness that trucks are lacking from the factory.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/6/19 8:45 a.m.

I just bought the same truck JTNWEvo has - '13 EB FX4 with 52k on it. I popped in new plugs last weekend and was pretty impressed with the difference it made in smoothness and power. I wasn't really having any issues but it is better now.  I'm planning on changing oil ever 5k and plugs every 20k in the future. Just made a 315 mile round trip with a couple coworkers yesterday including 80mph instate, sitting in Atlanta traffic, and backroads and averaged 18.2mpg on regular without babying it. Not superhero MPG for sure, but acceptable to me for what it is. I didn't buy the EB for the mileage, I bought it for the torque.

Next change will be a set of 275/70-18 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT tires - 33" but will fit on the stock FX4. If you want a quiet, solid AT tire check out the Discoverer ATP or AT3.  Better mud grip than expected and great street manners.

Hey JTNWEvo - I'm planning on doing those same Fox shocks, probably later this year. Have you towed much with them? Also, do you do any off roading, and if so how has the upgraded rear sway bay affected flex, grip, and ride off pavenment?

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
2/6/19 10:58 a.m.

In reply to Gimp :

I didn’t see any message come through this morning. Let me know what you’re looking for and I’d be happy to answer what I can.

JTNWEvo
JTNWEvo New Reader
2/6/19 11:32 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

ultraclyde - I only regularly tow a couple jetskis and thats only about 2,000 pounds and there is no difference with that little load. I have not done any real off-roading since upgrading the shocks and adding the rear-sway bar.  The most I have done is rutted forest service roads and the rear end is 100% better on stuff like that.  With the stock 60kish mile shocks the rear bounced uncontrollably with no weight in the bed, that is all gone now.  The rear-sway does reduce articulation in the rear but I never do any serious off-roading or rock crawling in this thing so I don't care. On-road performance is what I am mostly concerned with.

GarageGorilla
GarageGorilla New Reader
2/6/19 11:40 a.m.

I got my wife an 18 Explorer Sport with the same motor. Its a decent motor, but I wouldn't pick it over the 5.0 Coyote.

Gimp
2/6/19 11:59 a.m.
carczar_84 said:

In reply to Gimp :

I didn’t see any message come through this morning. Let me know what you’re looking for and I’d be happy to answer what I can.

I'm shopping this exact truck, and I was looking for a ballpark of what it cost you out the door.  If you aren't comfortable sharing, totally fine.  If you'd rather do it privately, you can email me at paul.przyborski AT gmail.com.

Thanks!

MrSmokey
MrSmokey New Reader
2/6/19 12:42 p.m.
JTNWEvo said:

I've got a 2013 FX4 with the 3.5L. No issues at 68k miles other than it seems to want new spark plugs every 25k miles. Mine seems to get some mild hesitation/missing under load every 25,000 miles that new plugs fixes.  I don't have a catch can on it but once the warranty ran out I installed a Banks CAI and Darringer piggy-back tuner and its so much better. Way more power and much more eager to rev.

Enjoy!

Ditto the change the spark plugs thing that’s all

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
2/6/19 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Gimp :

I just sent you the info, hopefully that helps you out.  Good luck shopping!

Gimp
2/12/19 9:04 a.m.

Well look what you made me done do...

2018 SuperCrew XLT Sport with 3.5 Ecoboost and Max tow.  Really liking it so far.  Different than my Silverado, but MPGs alone will make me not missing things like automatic climate control.

sevenracer
sevenracer Reader
2/17/19 4:51 p.m.

Just pulled the trigger yesterday on a 2017 F150 3.5 Ecoboost - Fly and drive.  Really like it so far.

Wife really wanted blind spot monitoring and 360 view camera (she hated parking my old truck) and I really wanted keylesss ignition, so I found a Lariat - ridiculous number of gizmo's and doo dads.

Sold the old truck today after almost 15 years - hard not to be a little sentimental.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ToT6RMRZGDRp6TY7nEkgBC13sq791ZhmgiP8vVIvGech3rs6l876TByWqMxLwc9p