redstack
redstack Reader
10/7/19 4:13 a.m.

Guy at work has a f-150 w 60k miles. Developed a knock quickly, he takes it to a local dealer who says wrist pin on #6. They didn't tear it down  End result $10k for a reman long block. They don't have a crate motor as such, just remans. I tried to suggest at least checking with an Indy shop but he was locked in. 

So my question is, I might be in the market for a half ton truck to tow a small car/ rv trailer in the next year. With this story would you choose a GM where you can get a good crate motor if needed for half the price of the Ford motor? 

And related, a friend has a ford excursion that he spent $600 having new plugs and wires because the Triton motor requires special tools and changing the plugs from underneath the truck? 

I mean I drive old Porsches and these prices seem kinda crazy to me. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
10/7/19 6:41 a.m.

The excursion is easier to pull the body off the frame then do the work than fight that with the body still on frame. And that's probably plugs and boots plus some padding for a few stripped or stuck plugs.

Ford has never really been strong in bringing out crate motors through their performance arm like GM. It doesn't help they are all "big" and "bulky" from the normal enthusiast perspective, even though they will gladly take a lot of abuse like a LS will.

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
10/7/19 6:41 a.m.

In reply to redstack :

I’m confused in the difference between a “crate motor” and the reman long block you get from Ford. You don’t think a new engine for a similar GM truck would be similarly priced? You’re not going to buy a $1500 350 crate engine to drop in your new truck. 

Was it just out of warranty? They have a 5/60 Powertrain warranty. 

Changing plugs on mod motors takes no special tools or skill, and they do not have spark plug wires. The plugs are on the top of the heads by the intake.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/7/19 8:13 a.m.

I just found out over the weekend my friends escape, 2.0 ecoboost, blew it's motor about 6 weeks ago. 60,119 miles, he was in his way to work and then he wasn't. "Some belt snapped, then all my oil was all over the parkway"

Ford wouldn't do anything, not like he tried very hard, but he lucked out and a friend of a friend found a similar miled motor for it and swapped for under $2k. 

For all the talk I've been reading about how great these are, 120 miles out of warranty is berkeleying bullE36 M3. 

Despite owning an old Torino, he's not much of a car guy, so actual details were hard to get.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/7/19 9:38 a.m.

I have a tick over 60k on my 1.6L ecoboost Fiesta and its been fine. Only issue so far just started coming up. P2112 code for throttle valve actuator stuck closed. I assume its either A. dirty throttle body sticking or B. the actuator itself is failing. So i ordered a new throttle body off Rock Auto to see if that is the case.

But everything i have read about the ecoboost motor problems has to do with the direct injection and carbon build up on the intake valves.

Also, everyone says the 2.0L ecoboost is extremely reliable in stock form, its when you modify them extensively that things dont go according to plan.

redstack
redstack Reader
10/7/19 11:22 a.m.

Yeah the Triton was probably coil pack change too not wires. 

I guess my question is why the 3.5 Ecoboost is not made anymore and requires a reman swap vs the stories of Chevy 350 crate motors available from the dealer for $2700. 

Such as

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/12703983.html

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/7/19 11:58 a.m.

In reply to redstack :

???? 

As far as I am aware, the 3.5l turbo is still available in the F150, among other vehicles.  It will be made well past my retirement.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/19 12:22 p.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

Used to be, you could order an engine from Ford and it would be the same package that the assembly line got: fully dressed with wiring harness and all accessories.  Drop out the old assembly, pop in the new one, plug in all the wires and hoses, and you're done.  They came full of oil, too.

redstack
redstack Reader
10/7/19 12:50 p.m.

Might be that there is an issue with it being a 2013 truck? Next gen issues?

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
10/7/19 1:46 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Those are still available for current production models, but after a year or two (when you can no longer pull one off the assembly line, and stock is depleated) your only choice is a reman long block.  Said long block is going to be similarly priced as a new Chevy engine though.

Ford makes new crate engines too... they just don’t make ones that make 210hp.  cheeky

Those $2500 crate motors aren’t fitting in a newer truck. 

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
10/7/19 3:21 p.m.
kevinatfms said:

Also, everyone says the 2.0L ecoboost is extremely reliable in stock form, its when you modify them extensively that things dont go according to plan.

Define 'everyone'....https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/ford-your-block-cracks-its-a-wear-item/159160/page1/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
scEJTEvs7AVRKUYDZbcjJOKMaEGBBHfGgW7Kb1h6rhAnKwnG8WEP0KKvoBQayOPB