1 2 3 ... 5
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
3/21/17 12:58 p.m.

It's a shame that it looks like Velocity cocked up Wheeler Dealers. That being said, I'm also rather excited to see Edd China on the youtubes, as well as seeing what he gets up to in the future.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
3/21/17 1:09 p.m.

He's my favorite mechanic. Down to earth. I'll watch all his stuff.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/21/17 1:37 p.m.

He made some good points there- you could see the changed in the production when they moved to California.

Some ok, some not so much- I liked the details that he covered as well.

it will be fun to watch Edd's videos as well as new WD's

appliance_racer
appliance_racer New Reader
3/21/17 1:46 p.m.

So that's another Velocity show I'll no longer be watching as I couldn't care less about the sales side. Come to think of it Velocity channel could now cease to be and I'm not sure I would notice. Sure wouldn't hurt like loosing SPEED channel did.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/21/17 1:52 p.m.

I was lucky enough to meet Edd in Scottsdale a few years ago. Not only was he friendly and engaging (and super tall!) .....we ended up hanging out for an hour or so....just talking cars. Very down to Earth, very cool, nice guy, which always came out in the show. I've really enjoyed watching Wheeler Dealers, and will be sure to follow Edd wherever he winds up. His wife was also fantastic.

Yeah, that's Edd, his wife and a pretty chubby me. Great night at Penske's fantastic showroom in Scottsdale.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
3/21/17 2:21 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

Hey Joe, good enough to make this happen?

Schrödinger's Flight Service
Schrödinger's Flight Service MegaDork
3/21/17 2:26 p.m.

Joe looks like a tiny man next to him

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/21/17 3:43 p.m.
Schrödinger's Flight Service wrote: Joe looks like a tiny man next to him

I knew Edd was tall, but his wife must be near 6 ft as well!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/21/17 3:49 p.m.

Funny how great minds think alike!

I've sent Edd an email today......and yes.....I mentioned the Challenge. Never hurts to reach out!

His wife wasn't super tall, but she was wearing heels I believe. I'm also not a big guy--- 5'8" or so. Edd is really tall....as in, 6'9" or so.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
3/21/17 3:54 p.m.

This is/was about the only thing I still watch on Velocity, and for the very parts of the show which it sounds like they will be cutting. No doubt they will now replace actual mechanical work with manufactured drama about deadlines and breaking "irreplaceable" glass pieces. On the other hand, if he makes his own stuff, I can watch Edd without having to suffer through Mike, so it may turn out to be a win.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
3/21/17 4:29 p.m.

Alright Joe, you can hand Edd this pitch...

Edd comes to the States and hooks up with Georgia native Rutledge Wood (see him as the American Mike.) The two can do a "car buddy" web-show (Roadkill but not roadkill). In this episode, they can build a car to compete in GRM $2017.
We, the ParkingLotBuilders, will supply the logistics for "their car" as they essentially take over our build or seen another way, they join our build and have their name on it.

They arrive to the event sort of silently so as to not make the event "all about them" and allowing them to film pretty privately. After the event they launch their webisode.

Two car guys, one with a US following, the other with a strong International following highlight that they were at GRM $2017. This should then bring international attention to GRM as well as expanded US exposure.

This "buddy show" can then continue on to other American and International events.
Samples like:
They could race Figure 8 school buses at Volusia Speedway.
A crap can race
Drag nights somewhere in the world
etc, etc, etc.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
3/21/17 4:39 p.m.

Mike was a very impressive tech. Not sure how much he actually knew and did or was done behind the scenes, but damn, that guy seemed to know a lot about a lot.

Will eagerly await his youtube channel.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
3/21/17 7:22 p.m.

As soon as they started doing the US shows a few years back I figured they were going to jump the shark. I still like going on Youtube and finding the old, old episodes where they had a 500 pound price limit on some beat up old Morris Minor or something.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
3/21/17 7:51 p.m.

I really would like to know the corners that velocity was trying to cut. They've been doing the show for 13 years, I have such a hard time believing that such a small production company was able to produce such a great show and a giant production company has a difficult time producing the show in the same format.

This is actually quite disappointing, because this is one of the few car shows that I anticipate watching on my DVR. This is actually quite disappointing, because this is one of the few car shows that I anticipate watching on my DVR. Add really knows his stuff, so he will be greatly missed. Edd really knows his stuff, so he will be greatly missed.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
3/21/17 8:04 p.m.

Am I the only one that thought that he would end up in prison for killing Mike? Here is how the show went...

Mike buys a bucket. Mike blows most of the budget on parts. Edd spends countless hours fixing, cleaning, and painting said bucket until it looks like new. Mike then sells the car for a low price, and celebrates over the "profit." By the time Edd's labor is factored in, he would have made more as a fry cook. I swear in one episode, Mike actually negotiated down from a buyer's offer.

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
3/21/17 8:04 p.m.

I'm not happy about this. Wheeler Dealers was by far my favorite car show on TV, and the only show I really followed on Velocity.

I noticed this last season or so some of the changes to shake up the show. Set was much more dressed up, more demonstrations from Edd and driving/segments with Mike, more Mike getting his hands dirty. Like someone above said, some of those changes I liked but I felt less satisfied after each episode and now I realize why a bit more.

Respect for Edd making a tough decision, hopefully he'll produce some great content, there is clearly an audience.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
3/21/17 8:12 p.m.

I haven't had Velocity channel in many years and I really haven't seen any of the newer Wheeler Dealers.

I do agree with Edd that the crux of the show was his tech bits. I've actually picked up a few tricks from his segments. Honestly, I never really liked Mike. His personality is a bit off putting to me. Less of Edd doing what he does and more of Mike doing what he does is not a good thing in my book. I think many of the questionable builds they've done over the years have been forced upon Edd by Mike.

I will definitely be waiting for more Edd China content.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
3/21/17 8:17 p.m.
John Welsh wrote: Alright Joe, you can hand Edd this pitch... Edd comes to the States and hooks up with Georgia native Rutledge Wood (see him as the American Mike.) The two can do a "car buddy" web-show (Roadkill but not roadkill). In this episode, they can build a car to compete in GRM $2017. We, the ParkingLotBuilders, will supply the logistics for "their car" as they essentially take over our build or seen another way, they join our build and have their name on it. They arrive to the event sort of silently so as to not make the event "all about them" and allowing them to film pretty privately. After the event they launch their webisode. Two car guys, one with a US following, the other with a strong International following highlight that they were at GRM $2017. This should then bring international attention to GRM as well as expanded US exposure. This "buddy show" can then continue on to other American and International events. Samples like: They could race Figure 8 school buses at Volusia Speedway. A crap can race Drag nights somewhere in the world etc, etc, etc.

Finnegan from Roadkill resides in GA now...

Wait, with Y'ALLYWOOD in GA now, why don't the three of them, and Erin Kaufman team up for a new show...based in Georgia

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
3/21/17 8:22 p.m.

Leave it to corporate greed to kill things. In this instance a good show. Edd made the right decision. I like Mike but SCREW Velocity. I won't be watching WD without him. He absolutely is the heart of the show. I tolerated Mike. Sorry Mike.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/21/17 8:24 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

Edd for Concourse guest judge, and parking lot build

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/17 8:26 p.m.
Raze wrote:
John Welsh wrote: Alright Joe, you can hand Edd this pitch... Edd comes to the States and hooks up with Georgia native Rutledge Wood (see him as the American Mike.) The two can do a "car buddy" web-show (Roadkill but not roadkill). In this episode, they can build a car to compete in GRM $2017. We, the ParkingLotBuilders, will supply the logistics for "their car" as they essentially take over our build or seen another way, they join our build and have their name on it. They arrive to the event sort of silently so as to not make the event "all about them" and allowing them to film pretty privately. After the event they launch their webisode. Two car guys, one with a US following, the other with a strong International following highlight that they were at GRM $2017. This should then bring international attention to GRM as well as expanded US exposure. This "buddy show" can then continue on to other American and International events. Samples like: They could race Figure 8 school buses at Volusia Speedway. A crap can race Drag nights somewhere in the world etc, etc, etc.
Finnegan from Roadkill resides in GA now... Wait, with Y'ALLYWOOD in GA now, why don't the three of them, and Erin Kaufman team up for a new show...based in Georgia

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Take the best parson from three shows and make a show.

Then they should take the other three and put them together. Oh and add that screaming idiot that got the boot from TG UK. You know that might actually be funny.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/17 8:31 p.m.

If you believe all that Ed is saying. WD is going to go down hill fast. Classic case of some one taking somthing that was very good and screwing it up. I applaud ED for moving on after watching the video.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
3/21/17 8:37 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: If you believe all that Ed I saying. WD is going to go down hill fast. Classic case of some one taking somthing that was very good and screwing it up. I applaud ED for moving on after watching the video.

Honestly, I think only MCM, Roadkill, Ed, and Erin might be in control of their own destiny like the original TG-GT boys. I'll tell you I tried to watch TG Classic and turned it off, the new crew and the things they do are boring, if they say hyper car one more time I swear...

thedanimal
thedanimal Reader
3/21/17 8:55 p.m.

Saw this today, bummed that I can't watch the tall man on WD. But good for Ed, I'll be watching whatever he does in the future.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/21/17 11:05 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: breaking "irreplaceable" glass pieces...

Holy carp. That was the ONE TIME I decided to check out gas monkey. Once the owner guy started with all the buildup of "oh jeeze, it took me forever to find this ONE windshield. oh gee, I hope they dont brake it" I knew what was going to happen.

And sure enough it did. The show didn't even have the common courtesy to wait 5 seconds. He was still going on about it when they dropped the glass on the floor

(facepalm)

I'll be watching edd, I cant wait to see what his next chapter has in store for us.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6QYCEbyiXO8UOP90U2macKvG4J2QIXTQ5TNDXVlQIPSjWChsm5wg0Nnpa0Hb8GX3