1 2 3 4 5
pirate
pirate Reader
3/22/17 7:23 p.m.

All of these TV shows cram so many commercials into the show its hardly worth watching. That coupled with the recap they do after each commercial of what was just said prior to going to commercial and an hour segment is probably lucky to have a half hour of actual content. I don't know if the producers think the viewers aren't capable with keeping up or just plain stupid. I hardly ever watch a program when it first is aired but DVD everything so I can blow through the commercials. And if the commercials aren't enough much of the actual show is an infomercial for sponsers products. At least WD was one of the last hold outs on the infomercials.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
3/22/17 7:52 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

Crap can caravan is amazing. I'd watch that.

I guess we're in the vocal minority when it comes to TV. Edd was my favorite part of WD, but you could really see the quality decline when they came to the US. It would probably be best to let the show just die at this point. I'm sure however that velocity will beat it like a rented racehorse.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
3/25/17 7:03 a.m.
DrBoost wrote:
singleslammer wrote: I immediately went and found Edd's channel an subbed. You should too. He only has 23k people following him at the moment. This needs to get to a few hundred K to keep him afloat.
29,651 with me on board.

2.5 days later, Edd's YouTube page has 106,183 subscribed.

If you want to join too, follow this link and hit "subscribe"

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/25/17 7:21 a.m.

In reply to The0retical:

It's an odd catch-22: As the show grew in popularity, more staff was added to produce it - and thus more cost. However, with more cost comes increased pressure for the show to generate advertising revenue and thus more meddling from upper-management, diluting what made the show popular in the first place.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/25/17 8:10 a.m.

Definitely! Arthur Fonzarelli on waterskis... that Pacer episode.

Edd has 1.54M subscribers now,

(Edit....oooops. That's views. About 100k subscribed....)

myself included. I will look forward to his new content, even if the editing is poor and cut up like his announcement... Don't care at all.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
3/25/17 8:14 a.m.

1.54M views.
That's how many people have watched the video but about 10% then subscribe to proactively be sent more videos.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/25/17 9:47 a.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to The0retical: It's an odd catch-22: As the show grew in popularity, more staff was added to produce it - and thus more cost. However, with more cost comes increased pressure for the show to generate advertising revenue and thus more meddling from upper-management, diluting what made the show popular in the first place.

That's why I love MCM. They don't owe anybody anything.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/25/17 10:51 a.m.

I swear on the really early episodes somewhere, I thought Edd and Mike mentioned being in laws. I can't find anything on the googleshpere though.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/17 12:58 p.m.

I wonder if ed and Mike will pull a TG U.K. And end up on amazon.

dean1484
3/25/17 1:01 p.m.

If I was Mike I would be worried as the reality that his tv fame is probably all based on him riding the coat tails of Ed may come crashing down around him next season.

dean1484
3/25/17 1:03 p.m.

I think Mike could do a car show on his own as long as it was not based on the WD format. He did one a while back about trading up cars until he got a super car. A Ferrari of some sort. I actually enjoyed that show.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/25/17 1:05 p.m.

I did enjoy Mike's negotiating though. Something about sticking out the hand and asking "what do you say"..

But Edd's tech wizard skills were the real reason I found that show entertaining.

dean1484
3/25/17 2:29 p.m.

Mike i respect for knowing the business end of the car world. You get the feeling he is letting you in to know the secrets of the trade and I enjoy that. Mike doing car repairs is tedious at best.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
3/25/17 8:21 p.m.

nevermind, thought Jason Dawe and Mike were the same person for some reason... (top gear reboot in 2002.)

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/26/17 8:38 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: I think Mike could do a car show on his own as long as it was not based on the WD format. He did one a while back about trading up cars until he got a super car. A Ferrari of some sort. I actually enjoyed that show.

According to Wiki, Mike has done a few other shows outside of WD including a show that ran for 5 years prior to WD. And he still owns/runs Mike Brewer Motors in two UK locations.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
3/27/17 8:57 a.m.
The0retical
The0retical Dork
3/27/17 9:07 a.m.

In reply to fasted58:

Just saw that. WTH internet? I can't believe that needed to be said.

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
3/27/17 9:20 a.m.

Gotta love Edd!!

JimS
JimS New Reader
3/27/17 10:16 a.m.

I think Mike did a show where he would show a buyer 3 different used cars and they would test drive and choose one. They usually had a budget. I remember one with a used s2000 and a couple of others. He would go over the pros and cons of each one. It was a pretty good show.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
3/27/17 10:19 a.m.

Sad that it had to be said...
But, now with 122k subscribers. Up 16k in 2 days.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
3/27/17 10:55 a.m.

"Nobody needs to die over this".

Seriously folks - relax.

Post this under the "first world problems" thread?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
3/27/17 11:52 a.m.

For me, the show was about equal regarding Mike and Edd. Mike was the goofball and Edd his straight man.

Mike couldn't sell heaps without repairs being done and Edd needed a supply of cars that needed to be fixed up. A symbiotic relationship if you will.

No need to make threats (the ones Edd referred to). That's waaaaay beyond childish.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
3/27/17 1:00 p.m.

In reply to JimS: Autotrader, I loved that show

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
3/27/17 1:40 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: "Nobody needs to die over this". Seriously folks - relax. Post this under the "first world problems" thread?

This is why we can't have nice things

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/27/17 2:00 p.m.

Bummed to hear about this, but I honestly haven't watched it in quite a long time. I miss the old low budgets and lots of repair/workshop footage. best of luck to both going forward.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bOUkvFYlR0rG4hNkut0BXNntiDStDkhKOAkcMJDpO4ngQr3el0CsLo047Q5kNXIr