mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
11/11/11 10:02 a.m.

As a child growing up in the '70s, some of my earliest memories were of me riding in the back of our Olds stationwagon on trips. Plenty of room to play( who needs seat belts anyway...) and room to sleep when u got bored. Yesterday I see this......

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/2694544569.html

I don't have many cars "call me". but this one did. What can u tell me about the pontiac v8s of that era, in general. Can these cars be made to handle like a "sports wagon" on a grassroots budget? I don't know anything about the car except whats in the ad. Still waiting for the owner to get back to me.

Thanks. Will

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/11/11 10:22 a.m.

The Malibu version looks sportier than the Impala version that I was used to...is it considered mid-sized?

I know that the Impala was available with a 302 or a 350, not sure about the Malibu but I am guessing only the 302.

You won't have the option of swapping in the HD cop suspension stuff from the Police Caprice, so not sure what the cheap way to improve that thing is.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/11/11 10:26 a.m.

Add better spring and bars. Stiffer bushings. Check out the 9C1 forum. Engine bay will accept anything, while LSX power is nice, a big block is needed here.

failboat
failboat HalfDork
11/11/11 11:25 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: The Malibu version looks sportier than the Impala version that I was used to...is it considered mid-sized?

One thing I learned about the malibu wagon very recently....the windows in the rear doors do not roll down.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/11/11 11:41 a.m.

That is not the same chassis as the Impala. The Impala was full-sized, the Malibu was mid-sized (G body I believe)

Chances are the "Pontiac" motor is just a 305 taken from a Pontiac. (same as Chevy 305) if it is a Pontiac 350 or 400 it would be a different animal IIRC.

This bodystyle is in pretty high demand as it will accept a V8, but is lighter than the larger Impala platform.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
11/11/11 11:47 a.m.

That is a G-body or intermediate platform wagon. Prolly has a Pontiac 301 V8 in it. I wish it was closer and I had the $ for it.... I'd be all over it like white on rice.

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
11/11/11 12:12 p.m.

So, the caprice cop package wouldn't fit. I wasn't sure if this was considered a mid-sized or not. But being "small and lighter" def has its advantages. I think I need to back away from this. I want it, but its not really what I need right now. It won't hurt to check out the forums I guess....

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
11/11/11 12:23 p.m.

There is quite a bit of aftermarket support for suspension upgrades on a G body.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/11/11 12:28 p.m.
failboat wrote:
pinchvalve wrote: The Malibu version looks sportier than the Impala version that I was used to...is it considered mid-sized?
One thing I learned about the malibu wagon very recently....the windows in the rear doors do not roll down.

A lesson learned "dutch-oven" style when I was child riding in the back of "G" wagons and sedans . . .

Pre-teen boys are cruel to one another.

dlmater
dlmater GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/11/11 12:29 p.m.

If memory serves correct, it is the same chassis that was used on the early and mid 80's el camino's as well. There have been some GRM posts in the past on the Malibu chassis and the availabilty of cheap, circle track race suspension parts that fit these cars. I would assume the wagon version would be similar. Below are two I found.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/autocrossing-a-g-body/38671/page1/

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/late-70s-chevy-malibu-can-you-make-them-turn/7112/page1/

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/11/11 12:32 p.m.

If it was local to me I would have already bought it. Just saying.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
11/11/11 12:44 p.m.

The Malibu wagon has the same G-body chassis as the same era Elky. I think the Malibu wagon is the most awesome of the G-bodies minus the Grand National.

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
11/11/11 2:54 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: The Malibu wagon has the same G-body chassis as the same era Elky. I think the Malibu wagon is the most awesome of the G-bodies minus the Grand National.

so all of the el camino upgrades work??? cool...off to google...

a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/11/11 3:10 p.m.

swap in an SBC...preferably an LS but a GenI or II will suffice.

the 301 Pontiac is widely regarded as one of the top 10 POS engines ever cast. It isn;t even worthy of being a boat anchor. However, IIRC, one of the folks over on one of the other boards did manage to make one run fairly well after spending about as much as an LS7 would have cost

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/12/11 1:46 a.m.
failboat wrote: One thing I learned about the malibu wagon very recently....the windows in the rear doors do not roll down.

Yeah, my parents bought a purple '80 Malibu Wagon when I was in elementary school, the rear doors had "vent" windows at the back. Ours were electric windows, and they were constantly breaking. I never drove it (they replaced it with a Taurus a couple years before I got my license), but from what they've said it was a terrible car. Gutless (V6, I think), lousy in snow, frequent mechanical failures, etc. My main memories of it are the broken window motors and the vinyl seats that would get dangerously hot in the summer.

Friends of my parents had an Impala wagon with the side-opening rear door and rear-facing 3rd row seat, which was my favorite place to sit and play "tail gunner". :)

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
11/12/11 10:55 a.m.

I'd be really surprised if that has a true Pontiac V8 in it. And if it does, it's probably the 301 that has already been pointed out. I'd bet it's a Chevy 305 out of a later Pontiac.

I don't remember if the Malibu wagons had a 3rd row seat option or not. My cousins had an '81 'Bu wagon when I had my '78 coupe.

There is a good demand for those wagons, and a slew of aftermarket parts available. If I were to do one budget style it would have bits and pieces selected from an '80's Monte SS. 3.73 rear with Posi, built up 200R4, steering box (The Monte SS had a quicker ratio), gauge cluster, buckets, console and shifter.

Some aftermarket suspension goodies, an EFI 350 Chevy of some sort, restored stock exterior and some factory 15" wheels. Then go cruise for groceries in style.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
11/12/11 11:04 a.m.

I always wanted to get one and do this.

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
11/12/11 11:58 a.m.

Seller never got back to me. Thanks for the info.........

cwh
cwh SuperDork
11/12/11 12:14 p.m.

Back in the day, I bought a 2 door '78 'Bu. Had a worn out 267 in it, I built a mild 350 and quickly discovered that the original TH200 was not happy. Changed to a TH350 and had a lot of fun. Nice size, good bit of room under the hood. I thing a big block would not help drivability. A decent SBC would be fine.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
11/12/11 12:48 p.m.
cwh wrote: a big block would not help drivability. A decent SBC would be fine.

SACRILEGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pres589
pres589 Dork
11/12/11 12:57 p.m.

Global West, Hotchkiss, and a host of others sell bits for this chassis. The Olds Cutlass 442, Monte Carlo SS, and the turbo Buicks all offer junkyard upgrades. I considered a Regal as a project and would have liked to score a mid-90's GM 2WD truck drivetrain for one; junkyard bits should allow everything to bolt in relatively easily and they're cheaply powerful.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qyYX9NPmztRv7WQpUNPmTcrH6oE2bXoz8V7Yu50WeboAhRBJJGV0DRcp8iNzbPjD