Aeromoto
Aeromoto Reader
12/21/11 10:43 a.m.

So..., do I spring for these cheap Towel City Retreads ice racing tires and hope they'll work in the Florida sand, or do I buy some real rally tires at more than double the price?

http://www.towelcityracingtires.com/15__Ice_Racing_Tires.html

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
12/21/11 10:48 a.m.

I thought a lot of people use winter tires on their rallyx cars.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/21/11 10:49 a.m.

$72 for retreads? Maybe the technology has changed over the years, but here where it snows people tend to stay away from them.

Why not CL search some pre-loved very knobby snow tires? $20 or each, then GRM hand off them to Florida.

Dan

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Reader
12/21/11 10:55 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I thought a lot of people use winter tires on their rallyx cars.

I would LOVE to score some used winter tires, but you'd have better luck finding Jimmy Hoffa here in Florida.

It's just tough trying to justify spending $800-$1000 for tires to go on a $500 car.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/21/11 10:56 a.m.

Not exactly what I was looking for, these with the little slits on the knobs are more for ice, may clog up in mud. Someone's gotta be headed south soon.

http://albany.craigslist.org/pts/2759416593.html

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
12/21/11 10:58 a.m.

I could of sworn there were new winter tires on tire rack for cheaper the $72 a pop.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
12/21/11 11:15 a.m.
914Driver wrote: $72 for retreads? Maybe the technology has changed over the years, but here where it snows people tend to stay away from them. Dan

They're special rubber compounds on normal street tire casings. Basically cheater race rubber. The ice tires are probably so soft that they wouldn't stand up to the sand. I destroyed a set of Blizzaks in a day on my rally crosser.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
12/21/11 12:22 p.m.

Those don't look like very good ice racing tires. No siping.

junkbuggie
junkbuggie Reader
12/21/11 1:43 p.m.

They're special rubber compounds on normal street tire casings. Basically cheater race rubber. The ice tires are probably so soft that they wouldn't stand up to the sand. I destroyed a set of Blizzaks in a day on my rally crosser.

this^

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Reader
12/21/11 2:11 p.m.

One of the guys from rallyflorida.org has suggested these--- Tire rack wants $82 for my size

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Winterforce

Jeff
Jeff Dork
12/21/11 2:45 p.m.

The Winterforce was the hot rallyx tire back in CO. One of the guys said he was faster on those than his rally tires (he'd run them back to back).

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
12/21/11 2:51 p.m.

I have a set of good Falken rally tires I would sell. Narrow 15 inchers mounted on 5X114.3 steels.

250 plus shipping if interested!

irish44j
irish44j Dork
12/21/11 4:05 p.m.

here's a good resource talking about rallycross tires (particularly snow tires used for it)

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4732

NGTD
NGTD Dork
12/21/11 9:18 p.m.

Snows work well, but they often de-bead. You need to run big pressures in them to keep the sidewalls stiff.

Rally tires rarely do that but they are heavy and can slow you down.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
12/21/11 11:43 p.m.

I run tubes. Works fine.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
12/22/11 5:46 a.m.
NGTD wrote: Rally tires rarely do that but they are heavy and can slow you down.
Boris the Blade said: Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable.

singleslammer
singleslammer New Reader
12/22/11 8:44 a.m.

I just got a set of these from tires-easy.com

http://www.tiresandco.ca/car-tires/SUNNY/SN,3830,SNOWMASTER/

They are ok so far, no snow yet, but they were really cheap!

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Reader
12/22/11 9:56 a.m.

This past season I ran BFG touring T/As, and I guess they are ok, because I won the SCCA Fl region stock rear points with them. The car turns pretty good, but I'm hoping for more forward bite out of the corners.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/11 10:21 a.m.
NGTD
NGTD Dork
12/22/11 2:27 p.m.

I agree

I run a set of Yoko Rally tires and in 2010, I finished 2nd at the season-ending event and two guys in from of me went out with DNF's due to snows blowing out on course and they couldn't limp the cars through.

Maroon92 wrote:
NGTD wrote: Rally tires rarely do that but they are heavy and can slow you down.
Boris the Blade said: Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable.
iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
12/23/11 9:53 a.m.

We experimented with the Towel City tires in our unstudded ice racing class. They worked very well, comparable to the Blizzak.
They durometer the same, about 45. Which is pretty soft for high temps and sand. The Winterforce would be better.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Reader
12/23/11 11:11 a.m.
iceracer wrote: We experimented with the Towel City tires in our unstudded ice racing class. They worked very well, comparable to the Blizzak. They durometer the same, about 45. Which is pretty soft for high temps and sand. The Winterforce would be better.

Thanks for the input, iceracer.

I called the guys at Towel City, and they seemed clueless to what rallycross even was. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the rallyx market would be larger than the ice racing market, so you'd think they'd offer them in a hard compound?

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
12/23/11 12:30 p.m.
Aeromoto wrote: I called the guys at Towel City, and they seemed clueless to what rallycross even was. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the rallyx market would be larger than the ice racing market

I doubt it.

FranktheTank
FranktheTank None
2/23/13 8:33 a.m.

I know this thread is old as dirt but I made a review of the TCR's and was impressed. I did get them out in several muddy fields and trails. As long as I had clearance. I had all the traction I could want. I just hate to see people pass up on something without factual information.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137640

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zFIRnHFZSzDdNFGlQ3HyingAKoy4tCAPqHz3iILLzgojL1m6OzvhgHkelg7oW1Qf