1 2
Hal
Hal HalfDork
4/18/10 9:06 p.m.

I've painted a car with a Wagner. Took more time fooling with the gun to get it right than it did to paint the car.

I've done it quicker and better just using rattlecans.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
6/4/11 2:14 p.m.

Bringing this one back from the dead---just sealant primed the 2002 (will be posting pics soon on classicmotorsports.net) with a Graco 2900 HVLP electric 'spray station' that I bought at Lowes this morning for $119. Perfectly acceptable finish for priming and now I can work on the filler work without having to truck the car back and forth to a shop that has air.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
6/4/11 2:17 p.m.

That's pretty cool.

(and for those who would like to catch up on the 2002 project on the Classic Motorsports site, click here.)

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
6/4/11 3:08 p.m.

(chant) roll-er PAINT! roll-er PAINT! (/chant)

Per Schroeder
6/4/11 4:12 p.m.

Nah, this one is getting a nice paint job (ie, not by me) and before you tell me that that isn't Grassroots--you're right--it's not, it's a Classic Motorsports project.

Per

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
6/4/11 6:20 p.m.

When I was a teenager, a friend of mine painted his Celica with a Power Painter. It looked really bad... but! A few weeks later, he we sanded it. He said he spent hours working on it. And as I recall, it looked pretty presentable!

BoneYard_Racing
BoneYard_Racing Reader
6/4/11 6:28 p.m.

HF sells a 110v electic HVLP system for like $25 works pretty ok

Per Schroeder
6/5/11 5:08 a.m.

when I went to HF yesterday, they only had a $129 one--so I went to Lowes for this one.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
6/6/19 3:44 p.m.

In reply to digdug18 :

People at work,wonder why I was giggling,I showed this post, thanks

Opti
Opti Dork
6/7/19 7:19 a.m.

I sprayed some Rust-Oleum with hardener through a Wagner sprayer for some control arms, and since they were just suspension pieces I didnt care that much about finish, and they came out surprisingly well. Much nicer than I would have expected given the equipment and paint 

It made me consider painting a ratty project car using the same thing. Some orange peel was present but I think it would be serviceable with a little wet sanding on a non show car for a driver quality paint job.

There are some pics in my name Miata build thread 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VEjFG6YreFTDTbq5pj1EjgDQqKxb6MPrSJ6xLsmgR2ikKELq7xNrVzMJ1dwdI0XK