wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/11/20 2:58 p.m.

To start, black paint, or electrical tape is probably the ultimate answer to this question.

Now that that's out of the way...I have a donor car in the form of a 04 PT Cruiser GT. I hope to use darn near evert part of the buffalo in my challenge (and later, street car) build. I'm keeping the stock wiring harness, and cutting it down/extending/shortening it to fit. The ABS module is gone, Airbags and computer, wheel sensors, too. 

I'd like to "fool the computer into thinking these things are still there, but am afraid I'll fry the computer if I randomly start powering or grounding wires. Obviously, I'm boned on the speedo, unless I make some sort of Rube Goldberg pulse generator thing. I'd love to do that, but it's way above my pay grade. 

So, Does the airbag send 5V to the gauge cluster when it is A-OK? Could I make the speedo work with GPS? What does traction control do if there are no wheel sensors? Will I get full power or limp home mode with these signals being absent?

I know this is a huge stretch, and a fairly academic question anyway, but I wondered if the hive mind had answers.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/11/20 3:04 p.m.

At least with the older Chrysler stuff (90s), you could pull the bulb or de-solder the led from the cluster to kill the light.

And doesn't thetrans have a vss? Thag should be what drives thespeedo on those 

wheelsmithy
2/11/20 3:48 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

And doesn't thetrans have a vss? Thag should be what drives thespeedo on those 

Well, that would be sweet. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/11/20 4:18 p.m.

Are you using the cluster from the PT?  That thing will have a chipped key, so you need the ecu, cluster and the ignition switch.  Speedo will drive off the trans.  ABS and airbags will want to set warning lights, and I think the fix there is to lose the bulbs from those holes in the cluster.

I would be concerned about trying to fool stuff with random signals.  The chances of the MIL not being on for some reason is just about zero.  Fuel tank pressure, tank level sensor signal, all sorts of stuff. The red brake warning light will be on because there will be a code in the cluster about the ABS bulb being gone.  Although, if you could replace the orange dash bulb with a resistor that has the same impedance as the bulb, you might be able to make that go away...

Black tape is your friend.

Edit: I'm basing this off Neon knowledge, but I think it should apply.

wheelsmithy
2/11/20 5:58 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I am using the stock instruments, key, column, ECU, everything I can, really.

Yeah, I just popped the cluster open, and painted over the offending lights. May remove bulbs later.

Honestly, I was just letting myself get distracted. I have plenty of other fish to fry.

I'm still interested in any knowledge anymone might impart. Also, it sounds like none of these cause limp mode, which was my real concern.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T383qQOimjrtkPjpz4MLokc2BY1LAoPctOZ3aFLb7yE1hlQX3X4sBt5ps3okRUH9