1 2
D2W
D2W New Reader
5/28/15 3:26 p.m.

My want factor is high for an elise or exige, but my practical side says corvette is more usable in every situation.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
5/28/15 4:03 p.m.

In reply to ea_sport: I think that a modified C6 is automatically in the Street Prepared class; A slightly modified C5 is finally eligible for STU.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/30/15 12:57 a.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: In reply to ea_sport: I think that a modified C6 is automatically in the Street Prepared class; A slightly modified C5 is finally eligible for STU.

I wouldn't even say its only "slightly modified" it's just limited on tire size (285s I think of 200tw) and some of the power mods (full exhaust ok, tune ok but dont think cams etc)

Also note for STU its only the C5 not the Z06

I will say I have read a couple threads over on corvette forum where for actual time attack/HPDE cars they say they preferred the C5's at least when the thread was posted due to a bunch of electrical issues/nannies that wont shut off on the c6's

The more I plan to drive the car on the street the more I would go C6 over C5 or C5 Z06. Despite the performance compromises I would probably lean toward a coupe for practicality vs the FRC also.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
5/30/15 2:19 p.m.

I'm saying that a spring rate change (or both sway bars, etc.) bumps you to STU with a C5 non Z06 (I forgot to mention that) but Street Prepared with a C6.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/31/15 12:14 a.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: I'm saying that a spring rate change (or both sway bars, etc.) bumps you to STU with a C5 non Z06 (I forgot to mention that) but Street Prepared with a C6.

Yup you are 100% correct. Sorry that I didn't understand that.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/31/15 7:16 p.m.

Lots of people run the C5 Z06 in AS competitively. Performance has always been appealing to me, but quite honestly the C5 Z06 interior is terrible. Just plastic and buttons everywhere. I could not ignore it. I would go C6 Corvette.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/31/15 9:11 p.m.

Which is why I said the more ways you want to use the car besides track/autoX the more I'd go C6. I kind of prefer the C6 styling also

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
6/1/15 9:56 p.m.

Any specific areas to keep an eye on when looking at an '05 or '06 C6 with Z51 package?

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/2/15 10:55 a.m.

Most people say to buy an 08 or newer to get the LS3 motor and the updates they made in that year, but I haven't really heard any big negatives to the older cars.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
6/8/15 10:02 p.m.
ea_sport wrote: Any specific areas to keep an eye on when looking at an '05 or '06 C6 with Z51 package?

Make sure you can cycle through all modes of stability and traction control. If you can't, check the TPMS readout in the DIC. If a sensor fails you can turn off traction control but not the stability control. Otherwise just basic used car stuff. The crank pulley rubber disintegrates eventually and you have to replace the pulley. It's a bitch. Listen for a serpentine belt chirp. It's well documented.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o2aswNLwxydUiKSjchdcNwFl89qb2C3GAPGo3kYeeag89mQJch8T7lHz1Ftk1FJm