1 2 3
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
12/12/13 11:03 a.m.

Stuck at work with darn near nothing to do. So of course trolling eBay and calling my old buddies up seeing if they have anything interesting and cheap. Which one of them does, can not sell the truck to save his life but he is in the middle of the country and surrounded by no credit buyers.

I had a RC SRT-10 Ram for all of about two months a few years back, ended up selling it for some huge gain like 7K when I bought my first actual Viper. I remember loving the thing, expect the gas mileage and some power delivery issues, but time heals all kinds of wounds.

So 2005 RC with 23K miles in Red with no mod's. Idiot to buy the same car again and give it a go. Not looking to flip it but I have a cam in the garage and rollors from the last viper that would fit and I can send the heads out for 2-3K to have them gone through.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
12/12/13 11:09 a.m.

Yes. Please buy it.

cdowd
cdowd Reader
12/12/13 11:11 a.m.

And you came here to be talked out that. I don't think so. you must buy that now for smokey burnouts.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/12/13 11:14 a.m.

Now why the hell would we tell you NOT to- when you've already got more rad parts for it? I think you'd be remiss not to at least take a swing.

06HHR
06HHR Reader
12/12/13 11:16 a.m.

I'm a Chevy guy, but I look at that thing and think "E36 M3, I REALLY need a better-paying job.." You ain't bought that thing yet?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
12/12/13 11:20 a.m.

That's the one I'd buy. I've looked at them. I like them. I still kind of want one.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
12/12/13 11:20 a.m.

Offer is already out, just waiting on him to see how bad he wants out of it. Then a inspections. Only issue is I have this and the hot rod and the JCW and the Forester now.

So the wife's mini is going to have to live outside with the forester.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
12/12/13 11:24 a.m.

I'll be the lone voice of dissent, I guess. I do think they're cool looking, but I just don't get the point of them. It's a pick up that isn't much for towing, not going to haul much in it's bed, only seats 2, can't go offroad or in the snow, has a Viper motor but can't handle or stop. Just doesn't make much sense to me, but then again I know these things weren't supposed to be logical.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/12/13 11:24 a.m.

EDIT: Ha! guess I typed too slow... Hilariously similar wording... But now you're not lone anymore, huh Klayfish?

I'll be the voice of dissent (which will probably only galvanize how much you want it, which is fine ), but I can't get my head around hot rod trucks.

There is something kinda neat about it. But fundamentally it's a crap truck and a crap Viper. And at a price which may not get you a better truck and a better Viper, would at least get you a better fast car than this truck is, and a better truck than this truck is, if that makes any sense.

I suspect that entirely misses the point of both why you like the truck, and also doesn't touch on what itch you're scratching. I just see one of those things and it feels like a waste of bits to me...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
12/12/13 11:25 a.m.

It's a truck. Park it outside and haul mulch and E36 M3. Quickly.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
12/12/13 11:38 a.m.
ransom wrote: I suspect that entirely misses the point of both why you like the truck, and also doesn't touch on what itch you're scratching. I just see one of those things and it feels like a waste of bits to me...

Totally agree. Definitely is something cool about it, so I won't hate on it. I love Vipers, and owned one. But I'd spend similar money elsewhere.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/12/13 11:43 a.m.

In reply to Klayfish:

There are people up here who tow, haul, and drive them 4 seasons.......they also stop/handle alot better than a normal ram half ton.

I will admit, the brakes are $Texas to replace though....I almost bought one, but as I was driving 130mi a day round trip for work, it didn't really make sense.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/12/13 11:46 a.m.

Well, and the Viper motor started life as a truck motor- so it makes sense that the Viper motor would end up back in a truck.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
12/12/13 11:50 a.m.

I get what the guys are saying about not getting it - I kind of don't either, but I have a loathing about Dodge trucks that's all its own. BUT...

If I'm not mistaken you have plenty of fasty type toys, probably access to a tow mule if needs be, and tend to swap cars a fair amount. Not to mention good funding.

So if you want it and the price is that low, buy it. The worst case scenario is that you keep it a few months and go "Yep, I was right when I sold the first one." You made money on the first one, and if the deal is good enough you might be able to on this one too, or at least break even.

Now, if you were having to stretch or thought you'd take a loss....then no. If you were trying to tow or track it... no. But you just want another toy, so what the hell...

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
12/12/13 11:58 a.m.

I would still have a Lightning over a Viper Truck.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/12/13 12:03 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50:

The manual trans is the difference maker to me......sure, you can swap the lightning, but it takes more work than its worth IMHO.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
12/12/13 12:05 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

Replacing that undersized/underspeced clutch to me is the deal breaker.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
12/12/13 12:19 p.m.
I'll be the lone voice of dissent, I guess. I do think they're cool looking, but I just don't get the point of them. It's a pick up that isn't much for towing, not going to haul much in it's bed, only seats 2, can't go offroad or in the snow, has a Viper motor but can't handle or stop. Just doesn't make much sense to me, but then again I know these things weren't supposed to be logical.

What?! It's better at EVERYTHING than a non-SRT 2wd ram of the same body style.

Well, i guess you might be able to fit a 3rd person in the middle on a normal RCSB ram.

It is BETTER at towing than a non-srt ram: Better brakes, better suspension.

It holds the same amount in the bed!

It can go as far off-road as any other 2wd ram if you put different tires on it. Compare this to a regular 2wd ram with stock tires and it may even go farther since it's guaranteed to have a limited slip.

As far as handling and stopping.. It is VERY good for a truck. About as good as it gets.

I'm not saying everyone should like it, but it doesn't really do anything WORSE than a normal ram, except gas mileage.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
12/12/13 12:21 p.m.

Another dissenter here, if I were to buy another pick up it would probably be a Syclone.

I tend to lump the SRT in with the 454 SS...cool...but I wouldn't buy one.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/12/13 12:25 p.m.

Loose the spoiler, spoilers on trucks are...bleh!

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/12/13 12:31 p.m.

In reply to JFX001:

I still want a syclone too........FML.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
12/12/13 12:32 p.m.
Vigo wrote: What?! It's better at EVERYTHING than a non-SRT 2wd ram of the same body style. It is BETTER at towing than a non-srt ram: Better brakes, better suspension. It holds the same amount in the bed! It can go as far off-road as any other 2wd ram if you put different tires on it. Compare this to a regular 2wd ram with stock tires and it may even go farther since it's guaranteed to have a limited slip. As far as handling and stopping.. It is VERY good for a truck. About as good as it gets. I'm not saying everyone should like it, but it doesn't really do anything WORSE than a normal ram, except gas mileage.

How many people who have these things tow much with them? How many make runs to Home Depot and throw 2x4s in the bed? If you put different tires on it, then you lose some of the SRT look, yes? Any get those shiny brakes all dirty and muddy? And sure, it handles good for a truck...key words for a truck. It still handles like a truck.

I'm sure there's an owner or two that tows sometimes with them or put stuff in the bed...carefully. But I'll bet 95% of them are weekend toys/show cars/etc... All I'm saying is I don't understand it as a toy.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/12/13 12:37 p.m.

In reply to Klayfish:

They are a toy that can be useful......you evidently aren't in the right area for seeing them used as trucks. Probably a regional problem than one with the truck itself.

06HHR
06HHR Reader
12/12/13 12:44 p.m.

In reply to Klayfish: It's a toy for guys who like trucks. When you think about it, at the time it was the halo of the Ram lineup, but in real money it wasn't much more expensive than a top of the line tricked out Quad Cab Cummins. It's a much more useful toy than many other of the "toy" trucks that came out (SSR, Blackwood) and has the distinction of being the fastest truck you could buy off the showroom floor. It's amazing that it's still useful as a truck, especially the Quad-Cab models with the auto. The only time it doesn't make any sense is when you try to imagine it as a sports car, it's not. It's an overpowered, flashy fast as E36 M3 truck. It is not a replacement for a Viper, Corvette or Miata.

Yamaha sort of said it better, it's a useful toy.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
12/12/13 12:44 p.m.

IIRC, the RC SRT wasn't rated for towing. The QC SRT was..OK?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
abPSic5s6p2u8SbX8RYM132cCkeB5GvCuOXszbmuZDME6wkmEg9OStujPrNYoOpP