1 2 3
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/20 12:53 p.m.

pretty much just daydreaming at this point, but i'll ask anyway:

the Ferrari 308 was made in many flavors over many years.  what's the best year / model to actually *drive* versus just rub with a cloth diaper?

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
1/9/20 12:58 p.m.

It always seemed to me that the best Ferrari 308 was a Ferrari 328.

Wiscocrashtest
Wiscocrashtest New Reader
1/9/20 1:10 p.m.

late, FI QV. GTB

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/20 1:12 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

the Ferrari 308 was made in many flavors over many years.  what's the best year / model to actually *drive* versus just rub with a cloth diaper?

One that HAS been driven.  If its sat, like many, then expect a very pretty looking basket case that will need a lot of rubber and gaskets to be replaced.  That or one of the Camaro/Fiero-based replicas.

Obviously the injected ones are slightly better for day to day driving, though the old Bosch injection stuff should probably be tossed for something more modern as there are some unobtanium parts that can go bad and make the ownership painful.  The carb'd cars typically have old carb issues, but parts are a bit more readily available and aside from balancing all of those carbs and their cold start grumpyness, they aren't too bad.

If you can find a euro grey market import, you can get a bit more power due to more compression ratio and potentially less ugly bumpers (though that isn't impossible to do yourself if you're not afraid to crack the engine open).

Look at CorsePerVita's Lambo Jalpa build thread for examples of how buying an inexpensive exotic isn't always pretty, but its a hell of a learning experience (especially if you don't give two E36 M3s about complete origiinality, so ITBs, MegaSquirt, etc. are fair game).

AngryCorvair
1/9/20 1:36 p.m.
Stefan said:

the old Bosch injection stuff should probably be tossed for something more modern as there are some unobtanium parts that can go bad and make the ownership painful. 

that would be part of the plan

If you can find a euro grey market import, you can get a bit more power due to more compression ratio and potentially less ugly bumpers (though that isn't impossible to do yourself if you're not afraid to crack the engine open).

definitely not afraid of opening it up

Look at Corsepervita's Lambo Jalpa build thread for examples of how buying an inexpensive exotic isn't always pretty, but its a hell of a learning experience (especially if you don't give two E36 M3s about complete origiinality, so ITBs, MegaSquirt, etc. are fair game).

don't even give *one* E36 M3 about originality.  my car, my rules.  eventually.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/9/20 1:40 p.m.
Driven5 said:

It always seemed to me that the best Ferrari 308 was a Ferrari 328.

1000% this

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/20 1:43 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Nice, then get the one that fits your budget and desires the best.  i.e. get the color/options you like the best.  While I love the looks of the 308, the 328 is a better car in nearly everyway.  Except in either case you CANNOT shift gears while pulling lateral G's due to the gated shifter and the rubber drivetrain mount bushings.  Ditch the gated shifter or replace the mounts with semi-solid solutions and you're golden, until then learn to plan your shifts accordingly.

The wheel pattern is 5x108 and some have TRX wheels, many have 16's so tires can be tricky to find.  Luckily more cars these days use 5x108mm, so finding wheels isn't as difficult as it used to be.

They do make such lovely noises and they just have a feel/smell that is hard to match even if they aren't terribly fast by the standards of the day, let alone today.

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
1/9/20 5:01 p.m.

An abused one that's been stripped of it's driveline, so you can do an LS4/F40 swap and piss off the Forza crowd. devil

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/9/20 5:10 p.m.

No question, the 308 GT4

Best looks and handling of them all. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/9/20 5:11 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/9/20 5:20 p.m.

The best Ferrari 308 is someone else's Ferrari 308.

eastpark
eastpark Reader
1/9/20 5:44 p.m.

I had a '79 308 GTB, the last year with the Weber carbs. It was fun, and surprising low overhead. 

AngryCorvair
1/9/20 5:59 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

not feeling that. Not at all.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/9/20 6:04 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Just remember the Detroit Tigers cap when you drive it.  A Hawain shirt would be a nice touch.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/20 6:17 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

NOBODY ANSWER HIM.

There used to be a local forum for motorsports enthusiasts, one of the members was a car flipper and he enjoyed 308s.  He said they had no Ferrari cachet and they were fairly DIY-able, so it was nothing to pick one up for $10k-ish and putz around with it, get bored and sell and get another one.

The idea crosses my mind, although I assume prices have gone up since 2006-ish.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/9/20 6:31 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

10k? Do wrecked shells go for that little? 

No Time
No Time Dork
1/9/20 6:43 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to Knurled. :

Here’s one for $15k

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
1/9/20 6:46 p.m.

All I could think of was Fubaru and I got sad.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/20 6:49 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to Knurled. :

No.  Tifosi.  Cachet.

The only valuable 308s are the early fiberglass-bodied ones, because all of the 308s that were ever actually raced (or rallied!) were based on the early ones.  After that, it was all Enzo laughing at what garbage people would buy because it had his name on it.

On the other hand, gated shifter, and the sounds of a flat plane 3 liter V8.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
1/9/20 7:15 p.m.

I have nothing to add personally, but you might find some tidbits here:  Ferrari 308 ownership experience thread on miata.net 

AngryCorvair
1/9/20 7:23 p.m.

Low 50's, there are few lower and several higher

and it's not about absolute performance. Hell, it's barely about *relative* performance. It's about owning a driver 2-seat 308.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/9/20 8:02 p.m.

This Ferrari buyer guide is from several years back, but see if it helps. If I find more posted, I'll share.

Personally I'm also a fan of the 308 GT4.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/9/20 8:05 p.m.

Ferrari 328 guide.

AngryCorvair
1/9/20 8:31 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Thank you, Staff Writer!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/9/20 8:44 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Seriously? Have you actually looked at 308 prices lately?  frown

I spent about 5 minutes in the passenger seat of a friend's 308 and that ride completely cured me of ever wanting one.  My Spitfire felt roomy after riding in that car.  Then my ex- had to drive that same 308 to a car show a couple of years ago (long story).  She was a huge Magnum PI fan back in the day and a 308 was the only Ferrari she ever liked.  After that drive, she was cured as well - basically called it the worst car she has ever driven. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mvzPFHkECUHmhTU88BfgxPffgHJ8wZlNLAJtaKT75oyLW7wbd6ucCm2FEe3kP62s