1 2 3
Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/20 3:11 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
Gingerbeardman said:

An abused one that's been stripped of it's driveline, so you can do an LS4/F40 swap and piss off the Forza crowd. devil

i'd start with a $50k driver and sell off the powertrain and rolling stock to make room for the aluminum 5.3LS and F40 and 17" BBS meshes.

Why not start with something that is already trashed and minus the drivetrain if you're going to toss it?  Seems like the math is being taken out back and beaten with a rubber hose on that one.  Not that there is anything wrong with an LSx, but if I wanted a mid-engined LS powered rig, I'd just buy a C8 for similar money (and/or finish the Corvair).  The Ferrari V8 and its noise is much of the reason for owning one of those.  The looks is the other.  The looks you can get with some of the kitcars that were available.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/20 3:14 p.m.
Stefan said:
AngryCorvair said:
Gingerbeardman said:

An abused one that's been stripped of it's driveline, so you can do an LS4/F40 swap and piss off the Forza crowd. devil

i'd start with a $50k driver and sell off the powertrain and rolling stock to make room for the aluminum 5.3LS and F40 and 17" BBS meshes.

Why not start with something that is already trashed and minus the drivetrain if you're going to toss it?  Seems like the math is being taken out back and beaten with a rubber hose on that one.  Not that there is anything wrong with an LSx, but if I wanted a mid-engined LS powered rig, I'd just buy a C8 for similar money (and/or finish the Corvair).  The Ferrari V8 and its noise is much of the reason for owning one of those.  The looks is the other.  The looks you can get with some of the kitcars that were available.

just to be a twat.  honestly, you're absolutely right about the noises that the Ferrari V8 make.  

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/20 4:38 p.m.
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/20 5:12 p.m.

I don't get any car as an "investment".  Cars are never an investment in the sense that I think I am going to sell them for a profit.  The "investment" is in my having fun and enjoying something.  You would be much better off taking that $$$$ and putting it in an index fund than speculating on cars.  In fact start now and invest in the market and in 20 years you will have the ability to invest in your self and get nice toys.  I drive things until the wheels fall off then sell it on for what ever I can get knowing I got every penny of my "investment" out of the car.  I am so tired of hearing about people purchasing cars as investments. Somehow they are going to purchase a car and actually get some enjoyment out of it while worrying about ever little dent and scratch and you have to take your shoes off to drive it.  That is just not for me.  I have friends that have cars worth more then my house by a factor a 10 and they just sit in a heated garage under cover for fear of dust getting on them.  What fun is that.  Then I go to parties and here other people brag to your friends that they have a 488 with 2k miles in there garage and they are proud of the fact that they don't drive it.   God that must suck.  I drive the crap out of my cars and not just tell people about them.   What ever floats your boat but I would never ever recommend that some one purchase a car thinking it is an investment.  It is a highly speculative way of "investing" .  You would probably do better with penny stocks or EFT's (ya don't do that either). 

Everyone thinks they are Chasing Classic Cars or something.  That is not real as in it happens all the time.  It is TV and happens very rairly.  Wayne is an extremely smart business man that has had some great luck but what they don't tell you (or they don't highlight it on the show that much) is that he also makes allot of $$$ selling cars on commission for clients or representing cars from clients at auction.  He gets a percent when a car he represents is purchased from one of his clients by another one of his clients.  Then the process repeats whe the car is sold on again.  He is a car broker.  This is where LOTS of $$$$ is made.  He provides a service and gets paid well for it.  So many people now think that they can "invest" in a car use it and sell it on for a profit thanks to TV.    

I still want the 456M.  I think it is just a fantastic looking car.  I think it is the last of the FR manual V12 cars.  And No I have no illusions that I will be able to sell it on for more than I would pay for it.  I want to drive it.  Take it to a track and hammer on it.   Drive it like Enzo wanted you to.    

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/10/20 5:22 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

The one I drove was a black S4S. Looked the same, except for the wheels.

I was deeply impressed by the handling balance and incredibly strong brakes. It was surprisingly benign for a mid-engined car. Acceleration was brisk, but not explosive.

A good friend of mine has an f355 Challenge car that he's let me drive a few times. The Ferrari is loud and exciting. It gives you the impression of huge speed ... but I'm fairly certain an S4S would out-perform it in every measure.

(Then again, a Lancer Evo VIII with light mods would leave any of these cars for dead. So, I don't even know why I'm droning on about the Lotus. Ignore me.)

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
1/10/20 5:43 p.m.

I went down this mental path.  An 80s Ferrrari would be a fun toy.  308s seem expensive, 328s even more.  348s look cool too and are cheap.  Damn 348 maintainable sucks, 355 is even worse.  If only I could find a Ferrari that would work regularly, be nice to drive, and not a maintenance nightmare.  And maybe the A/C would work and I could take it on long trips?  Oh, wait...

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
1/10/20 6:04 p.m.
Stefan said:
AngryCorvair said:
Gingerbeardman said:

I bet he could make back enough by selling the driveline to make the swap money ahead...

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
1/10/20 6:07 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
nderwater said:
AngryCorvair said:

don't even give *one* E36 M3 about originality.  my car, my rules.  eventually.

In that case, I would be looking to see which 308 variant is easiest to update to look like a 288 GTO devil

i'm gonna need a moment alone...

I know where you can get the panels for about the cost of a Miata...a twin-turboed 348 (or Mondial T) drivetrain fits...can supply photographic evidence devil

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
1/11/20 6:16 p.m.
Sonic said:

I went down this mental path.  An 80s Ferrrari would be a fun toy.  308s seem expensive, 328s even more.  348s look cool too and are cheap.  Damn 348 maintainable sucks, 355 is even worse.  If only I could find a Ferrari that would work regularly, be nice to drive, and not a maintenance nightmare.  And maybe the A/C would work and I could take it on long trips?  Oh, wait...

Yep. There is the answer.

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
1/11/20 7:25 p.m.

NSX are the Miata of mid-engine sports cars, although a turbo MR2 is almost as competent.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/11/20 7:54 p.m.

Unfortunately, NSXs aren't as cheap as they used to be.

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
1/11/20 7:58 p.m.

Check the stats...a late 90's turbo MR-2 was within tenths of an F348 in the quarter mile and around the track.

Several good videos from a japanese show on YouTube, but no subtitles.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
1/11/20 8:07 p.m.
Sonic said:

I have a 360.  Much easier to deal with from a maintenance perspective than the earlier cars,  ac works great,  and the sound is intoxicating.  Its also very roomy,  I'm not a small guy and fit really well in the 360.  They are great cars and easy to live with. I've spent significant time in an NSX and they just don't quite do it for me,  nice cars though.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/11/20 8:34 p.m.

I find it really, really funny that people are suggesting cars other than a Ferrari for AC to get.  

For sure, anyone that can do simple reading and math will know that there are a TON of cars out there that can out perform a 308 of any type, probably 328's and maybe even 348s.  

But that's not the point.  No matter how fast an NSX is, it's NOT a Ferrari.  A Ferrari is a Ferrari.  And that means something.  Maybe it means gold chains/ hairy chest/bald head to you- but to others it's a different visions of what it is.  That GT4 video posted is not the fastest car in the world, but it sure sounds good.

AC is dreaming about a Ferrari, not a Honda or a Toyota.   Help him with his dream, not some "reasonable" alternative.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/11/20 9:13 p.m.
Gingerbeardman said:

I know where you can get the panels for about the cost of a Miata...a twin-turboed 348 (or Mondial T) drivetrain fits...can supply photographic evidence devil

You have my attention! Say one were to acquire such panels. What would you go about hanging them on?

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
1/12/20 4:46 p.m.
dyintorace said:

You have my attention! Say one were to acquire such panels. What would you go about hanging them on?

This is a set of panels sized specifically to fit 308/328 chassis, matching the existing wheelbase: https://www.berlinettamotorcars.com/ferrari288GTOconversionkit.htm

The 288 GTO has a 4" longer wheelbase. A Mondial T, 348 and 355 drivetrain will fit in a 308/328 chassis without a stretch. It does require modifying the chassis though.

Otherwise a scratch-built steel tube frame based around the suspension and components you want to use is a relatively straightforward proposition, though it becomes more of a replica and less of a Ferrari hotrod.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/13/20 6:58 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Hi you must be new here. What you are describing is a feature and not a bug of this board. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/20 10:03 a.m.

exactly.  i mean, of course i'm going to cross-shop turbo civics.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
1/13/20 10:37 a.m.

"This small, underpowered sporty car is called 'the answer'"

"But I would like to purchase this other small, underpowered sporty car"

"You're wrong, look at all these other more powerful cars you could buy instead"

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
1/14/20 3:26 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

C'mon, you can't tell me that 355 engine doesn't look tits in the back of Magnum's ride...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iTLAihfJSixODp0kSuCsMb7JViOr5CGO9CREsrgEtijpXfU1oG6oVjpBjeo4c6DS