1 2
Dootz
Dootz New Reader
2/14/19 5:24 a.m.
  • 5.7 Hemi Gen 3
  • Vortec/Atlas 4200
  • Volvo/Yamaha 4.4
  • Ford 4V mod motor (4.6)

Looking to stick it into something RWD, and has already been done once with no significant fabrication

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/14/19 6:49 a.m.

4.6L 4v into a GT/V6 Mustang. That is about as easy as it comes.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/19 7:01 a.m.

Hemis are problematic because they had some valvetrain issues.  Poor oiling led to rocker, valve tip, and valve guide wear.  There's a reason why they're worth so much in junkyards, idling and low RPM kill them.  And most of them spent their whole lives idling or at low RPM because they were found in brodozers and Magnums.

Atlases are only found in Trailblazers or the clones.  They will all have a swap-unfriendly oil pan but this is no matter if you have a way of welding aluminum.  Or you could go the Keisler route and just make a big hole and epoxy sheetmetal over it, if you are a fan of termporary solutions that turn into major leaks.

The Volvo engine is only found in big Volvo SUVs, and some rare S80s.  Allegedly related to the 3.4 V8 from the 3rd gen Taurus SHO.  Pass.

4v Mod motors are a known factor, to be honest I'd want one from a Mark VIII because they had "poor" heads and thus are worth way less on the used market than the slight drop in performance compared to a Cobra.  Note these are WIDE engines, you need about as much or more room as would fit a 429/460.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
2/14/19 7:26 a.m.

For the Gen III Hemi, most of the applications that have been well documented and have aftermarket parts to make it practically a bolt-in would be earlier Mopars. The best budget option would be either an A-body or the F/M/J bodies if you want something seriously unexpected.

With the Ford 4.6 (and Coyote), you can wedge this into most Fox bodies using '96-'04 Mustang parts.

Not sure about the other two. I have seen a 4.2 Atlas in an Opel GT, but that was far from bolt in.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/14/19 7:28 a.m.

Pass. Next. 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
2/14/19 7:34 a.m.

I know ! I know! ......put the Atlas in a Studebaker ! 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
2/14/19 12:43 p.m.

Out of those im most interested in the Atlas but as mentioned the easiest way i know to get a usable oil pan is to weld piece of an i-5 pan together to get a rear sump. It has been swapped into many things although it isn't considered popular. 

For ease and low cost I would probably swap the hemi into a 92-96 Dakota. I dont think there is a ton of specific info on that particular swap but the Dakota is super conventional and roomy and anything that applies to swapping a hemi in place of an old la/magnum engine would more or less apply.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
2/14/19 12:49 p.m.

I my opinion and experience, the only reason for doing an engine swap is because you embrace fabrication challenges.

Unless it is an engine that came in a given car as an option, "Bolt-in" aint gonna happen.

Pete

_
_ Reader
2/14/19 1:04 p.m.

Link to the atlas powered opel? Google has nothing. 

Also, lol@VolvaHa engine. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
2/14/19 1:07 p.m.

someone gonna say LS swap? 

LS swap

(sorry not helpful) 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/19 1:56 p.m.

32 Ford replica?

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/14/19 3:15 p.m.
Knurled. said:

The Volvo engine is only found in big Volvo SUVs, and some rare S80s.  Allegedly related to the 3.4 V8 from the 3rd gen Taurus SHO.  Pass.

The Noble M600 would like to have a word with you. That v8 sounds incredible with a couple turbochargers hanging off of it and it puts out up to 650hp / 604 lb-ft of torque. It's a monster and well built. Given you can score v8 powered XC90s for next to nothing, I have often thought about how much fun one of those could really be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnllC8-8dpw

Top Gear blathering on about one.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/19 3:38 p.m.

Noble also used the Duratec V6 in their earlier model, also with twin turbos.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
2/14/19 4:15 p.m.

I never even knew that Volvo engine existed. Neat.

I think Dootz might have to bite the proverbial bullet with the LS if they want "Has been done before". Possibly 4.0 Rover if they're in Euopeland.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/19 5:30 p.m.
dculberson said:
Knurled. said:

The Noble M600 would like to have a word with you. That v8 sounds incredible with a couple turbochargers hanging off of it and it puts out up to 650hp / 604 lb-ft of torque. It's a monster and well built. Given you can score v8 powered XC90s for next to nothing, I have often thought about how much fun one of those could really be.

Once you start putting turbos on, the base engine is practically moot, just start with whatever is already in the car unless it's something really scrody like a thinwall block 5.0.  (And turbos destroy the engine sound - zero intake noise and muted exhaust noise sad   Intake noise is a large part of what makes good sounding engines sound good)

Dootz
Dootz New Reader
2/14/19 8:29 p.m.

kevinatfms said:

4.6L 4v into a GT/V6 Mustang. That is about as easy as it comes.

The point of the swap was to find something not as mediocre to put it in as an SN95 chassis - takes way too much money to be decent in the first place in the corners

Knurled. said:

Atlases are only found in Trailblazers or the clones.  They will all have a swap-unfriendly oil pan but this is no matter if you have a way of welding aluminum.  Or you could go the Keisler route and just make a big hole and epoxy sheetmetal over it, if you are a fan of termporary solutions that turn into major leaks

Well, there was this option I found:

https://www.emtechmotorsports.com/oilpan.html

MadScientistMatt said:

For the Gen III Hemi, most of the applications that have been well documented and have aftermarket parts to make it practically a bolt-in would be earlier Mopars. The best budget option would be either an A-body or the F/M/J bodies if you want something seriously unexpected.

I know the A-bodies were the compact ones like the Dart, but what are the main big differences between the F/M/J-platforms?

bobzilla said:

Pass. Next.

Thanks for your non-contributive reply. Next

Stefan said:

Noble also used the Duratec V6 in their earlier model, also with twin turbos.

Speaking of Duratecs, is there anyone that has done a V6 swap into the SN95s? I have heard that the Ranger's 5-speed bolts up

GIRTHQUAKE said:

I think Dootz might have to bite the proverbial bullet with the LS if they want "Has been done before". Possibly 4.0 Rover if they're in Euopeland.

I live in the states lol but speaking of Rover V8s - besides the typical MGB, what else are they commonly put into?

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
2/14/19 8:43 p.m.
Vigo said:

For ease and low cost I would probably swap the hemi into a 92-96 Dakota. I dont think there is a ton of specific info on that particular swap but the Dakota is super conventional and roomy and anything that applies to swapping a hemi in place of an old la/magnum engine would more or less apply.

Kindly stop stealing plans from my head thanks.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/14/19 8:53 p.m.

Do you already own these four engines?  There are better choices than any of the ones you listed, I think.  The hemi would be the best choice of the bunch, except they are hard to find and expensive when you do.  Regular cab early Dakota with a 5.7 would rock.  I think the GM inlines are scrap.  The Volvo is a lovely motor, but what trans will you bolt to it?  Swap the assembly in the back of a Civic, maybe.  The four cam Ford is massive and slow.  Use the Coyote instead.  Better in every way 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
2/14/19 10:03 p.m.

In reply to Dootz :

Why didn't you say it was going into an SN95 in the first place? And since you're already (or have) going to do some pretty heavy work to get it to turn, why not go for a different chassis altogether? What's your plan here?

As for 'mediocre' engines- Rover V8s are the aluminum Buick 215- the BOP- that was made in the early 1960s. They are very lightweight and are a big deal in the UK since they're easily sourced, but are difficult to get to 300 NA Horsepower.

Dootz
Dootz New Reader
2/15/19 1:30 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Do you already own these four engines?  There are better choices than any of the ones you listed, I think.  The hemi would be the best choice of the bunch, except they are hard to find and expensive when you do.  Regular cab early Dakota with a 5.7 would rock.  I think the GM inlines are scrap.  The Volvo is a lovely motor, but what trans will you bolt to it?  Swap the assembly in the back of a Civic, maybe.  The four cam Ford is massive and slow.  Use the Coyote instead.  Better in every way 

Dog, why in the hell would I use a Coyote when a 4V is literally a junkyard Mark VII away? Do you think they're cheap? lol

Dootz
Dootz New Reader
2/15/19 1:32 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

In reply to Dootz :

Why didn't you say it was going into an SN95 in the first place? And since you're already (or have) going to do some pretty heavy work to get it to turn, why not go for a different chassis altogether? What's your plan here?

As for 'mediocre' engines- Rover V8s are the aluminum Buick 215- the BOP- that was made in the early 1960s. They are very lightweight and are a big deal in the UK since they're easily sourced, but are difficult to get to 300 NA Horsepower.

It's not going into an SN95, but a Duratec V6 was on the back of my mind for improving the platform - aluminum block, power levels near that of the PI 2V, and it's from Ford so it's less complicated for final engineering and wiring

And hold on, I never said the Rover V8s were mediocre my man

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/15/19 6:59 a.m.
Dootz said:
Streetwiseguy said:

Dog, why in the hell would I use a Coyote when a 4V is literally a junkyard Mark VII away? Do you think they're cheap? lol

Because, as I said above, they are massive and slow.  Quite honestly, if there was a choice between instaling a four cam 4.6 and a pushrod 5.0 HO, I'd go pushrod all day long.

NickD
NickD UberDork
2/15/19 7:07 a.m.
Stefan said:

32 Ford replica?

This is literally the easiest option. Basic frame that's easy to make mounts for. Wide engine? Ditch the hood sides and let it hang out.

MadScientistMatt
2/15/19 7:08 a.m.
_ said:

Link to the atlas powered opel? Google has nothing. 

Also, lol@VolvaHa engine. 

Here you go:

http://www.blackopelracing.com/

MadScientistMatt
2/15/19 7:21 a.m.
Dootz said:

MadScientistMatt said:

I know the A-bodies were the compact ones like the Dart, but what are the main big differences between the F/M/J-platforms?

The F-body was the Aspen / Volare; they were basically the A-bodies with a transverse torsion bar suspension up front (better NVH isolation, but worse suspension geometry) and rubber-isolated mounts on the axle at the back. The M-bodies are the Diplomat / Gran Fury / New Yorker, and trying to look more upscale but are otherwise mechanically identical. The J-bodies are a stretched version of the F-body, like the Mirada. The A-bodies are lighter and handle a bit better. At this point, F-body prices are starting to climb a bit, but F/M/J bodies are still pretty cheap, even compared to things like GM G-bodies and other "muscle car substitues" from the late '70s and early '80s.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hwkGdS5jZjbxT8gQ9cJpIaFygskLp8C3H21fFljGOXNj7w9ULRLQtySPBeVsTfti