1 2 3 4 5 6
turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
5/8/11 2:05 p.m.

Hahaha, maybe...... He's also building a challenge car so if anything he wouldn't be helping me, but he's a really good friend

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
5/11/11 4:16 p.m.

I might be putting a 2jz in the Z for the challenge I got a 2jz-ge, a W58 5-speed, and a Greddy E-Manage for the amount of $0 Might do a 1.5jz and run the stock twins, E-manage, boost controller, JDM 2jz-gte 550cc injectors, downpipe, and exhaust should be pushing 400hp at the wheels EASY. We'll see within the next 2 weeks or so, and then I'll probably start the swap when school ends so that I can put all my time into it.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
5/11/11 4:23 p.m.

How did you get all that stuff for free?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
5/11/11 5:23 p.m.

I havent read the rules lately, but unless that free stuff was sourced from a junkyard or an ebay/c-list ad that was available to the general public, you have to use FMV. Sorry to poo on the parade

92CelicaHalfTrac
5/11/11 5:25 p.m.

^What he said.

With that said, technically we've gotten a "1.5jz" for free (Or $1, whatever) with that Supra i had up in the classifieds.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
5/11/11 5:31 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: I havent read the rules lately, but unless that free stuff was sourced from a junkyard or an ebay/c-list ad that was available to the general public, you have to use FMV. Sorry to poo on the parade

I hate to rain on your parade Shane, but he's right. If I started figuring my budget the way you have been, I'd have a completely free Spitfire.

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
5/11/11 5:52 p.m.

What about if I traded stuff for this stuff? Would that count?

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
5/11/11 5:53 p.m.

Also, thanks for telling me beause I would've been highly upset if I were to show up and get disqualified for going over the limit.

cheechthechi
cheechthechi New Reader
5/11/11 6:01 p.m.

You can trade up to have the challenge amount iirc, so $1,005.50 worth of stuff. You could trade for stuff, but I think you'd have to put in the cost of whatever you traded in the budget. So say you had a carb worth $200 and you traded it for a turbo, then your turbo cost would be $200. I think that's how it goes....

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
5/11/11 6:01 p.m.

did u trade stuff off the 280? if so I think youre allowed to recoup the FMV of the traded stuff. But trading an $80 door for a $1k engine still leaves you retaining $920 added to the budget. Now, if you can find a C-list/Ebay/Online ad for another 2jz and W58 for really cheap, you can establish FMV at a low price which might help you out. Im not sure if you have to document FMV with multiple examples or what. Like I said, Ive never really dug into the rules, this is just stuff Ive gleaned over the years.

Tom Suddard
5/11/11 6:15 p.m.

Shane, I strongly suggest you read all of the rules. They can be found here, or at the $2011 Challenge event page. Also, as I'm sure you already noticed you WILL get crap for knowing/being involved with me, so don't fudge anything. People will try extra hard to disqualify you.

Also, I know some events with budgets are very lax, but we're not. 99% of the cars at the challenge really are legitimate $2,000 cars. It's a point of pride among the competitors to win fairly, instead of by cheating. We also go over everything on your car, down to the last nut and bolt, to make sure it's accounted for in your budget. You'll need a budget list along with receipts for everything. Documentation is half the game.

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
5/11/11 6:28 p.m.

Yea I've read the rules probably 10 times since I got the idea of doing the challenge in December. I recently reread them because I had to clarify the rules for a roll bar. If anything I'll just suck up the 5 mpg that I'm going to get and stick with the blowthru setup. My main problem is I want to be able to DD the Z and low mpg + high gas prices = $$$$ and lots of it. I have about $1,511 left in the budget so we'll see what happens. I'm not going to the challenge to be competitive because I've seen what's been built, but I just want to go and have fun.

The main problem with the blowthru is the plenum design, it's just a box and when boosting there is a lean spot when boost comes in which causes the car to act stupid. To fix that I must put HUGE jets which result in poor gas mileage and the problem doesn't go away completely. My other option is to design and build my own plenum. Any input in this situation?

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
5/11/11 6:48 p.m.

Sell Cartech setup, install 280ZXT engine

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
5/11/11 7:35 p.m.

That's my next option as of right now. Might buy a whole turbo car if anything. We'll see if the kit sells.

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
5/13/11 2:57 p.m.

Well, I've finally decided that I'm tired of seeing the Z sit. So I'm going to do a L28et swap and get it running, because I get my license soo and I need something to drive that will get decent gas mileage. The plan is to swap the motor, swap out the turbo with a Garrett unit I have, put a 300zx turbo ECU in, and put some 440cc injectors and call it a day. If I can get it done for less than $2,000 I'd be happy and can still compete in the GRM $2011 Challenge. Right now the plan is to get it running whether it be challenge friendly or not. So if anyone out there has a L28et, let me know :D

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
5/13/11 3:51 p.m.
turboHLS30 wrote: My other option is to design and build my own plenum. Any input in this situation?

I can cast custom aluminum parts and am willing to sell a cast aluminum custom plenum for anyone for $40. IIRC, the fact that its open for any person makes the cost valid for the challenge budget. just an option if you decide against the swap. I think the rareness aspect turbo setup youre currently running earns you extra points - at least it would if I were judging the concourse.

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
5/13/11 4:28 p.m.

Would it be a sheet metal plenum? Also I've found some threads where people have CAD drawings of a monifold that worked well. Could you copy something like that?

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
5/13/11 9:51 p.m.

Sold the carbs, manifold, and linkage. Bought a L28et long block with 96k for $100, picked up an intake, fuel rail, and throttle body for $50 so I have $150 in the motor so far and I'm going to use a turbo manifold that I have and a Garrett turbo that I have that I was going to use for the Miata I was going to build for the challenge, got it and a couple of other things for $25 from a dad's friend that was getting rid of a bunch of car stuff. I have some 440cc injectors that I got in the deal with the turbo. So slowly but surely the motor swap is getting put together.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
5/14/11 10:00 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
turboHLS30 wrote: My other option is to design and build my own plenum. Any input in this situation?
I can cast custom aluminum parts and am willing to sell a cast aluminum custom plenum for anyone for $40. IIRC, the fact that its open for any person makes the cost valid for the challenge budget. just an option if you decide against the swap. I think the rareness aspect turbo setup youre currently running earns you extra points - at least it would if I were judging the concourse.

I am pretty interested in this. I was thinking of using an intercooler end tank like those from vecco but I'd like to talk with you if you have the time.

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
5/22/11 12:04 a.m.

Went out to the junkyard today and found a '80's Maxima and I'm going to try to get the rear caliper brakets off tomorrow. Why are these brakets important? They are what I need to convert to disks in the rear. It still has the complete motor also so I'm going to dee what I can grab off of it tomorrow. I also saw a 300zx (Z32) out there with a complete motor and transmission and suspension. I want to get the calipers off of that for the front brake and then I'm pretty sure I'll be set for brakes. A guy walked up to me and asked to borrow some tools and I didn't catch his name, but as I was walking out I saw him and he owns a primered looking 3000gt with a HUGE fmic and wheels and I saw a grassroots sticker. I was going to say something but I was tired, hot, and just wanted to get into the A/C.

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
5/22/11 12:42 a.m.

Also got a package deal on 3 brand new head gaskets and 2 intake/exhaust gaskets for $55 shipped

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
5/22/11 2:14 a.m.

Just bought a RCI 5-point Cam Lock racing harness and the chrome retaining ring that holds the headlight so I can now install my other headlight and stop making the car look like it's winking LOL

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
5/22/11 2:14 a.m.

Just bought a RCI 5-point Cam Lock racing harness and the chrome retaining ring that holds the headlight so I can now install my other headlight and stop making the car look like it's winking LOL

92CelicaHalfTrac
5/22/11 6:43 p.m.
turboHLS30 wrote: Went out to the junkyard today and found a '80's Maxima and I'm going to try to get the rear caliper brakets off tomorrow. Why are these brakets important? They are what I need to convert to disks in the rear. It still has the complete motor also so I'm going to dee what I can grab off of it tomorrow. I also saw a 300zx (Z32) out there with a complete motor and transmission and suspension. I want to get the calipers off of that for the front brake and then I'm pretty sure I'll be set for brakes. A guy walked up to me and asked to borrow some tools and I didn't catch his name, but as I was walking out I saw him and he owns a primered looking 3000gt with a HUGE fmic and wheels and I saw a grassroots sticker. I was going to say something but I was tired, hot, and just wanted to get into the A/C.

I think that's the new intern at the magazine, actually.

Tom Suddard
5/22/11 9:01 p.m.

^Yep, that's our new intern, Matt Smith. He's a freak, and that car is a VR4 that runs 11 second quarter miles.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Kkbrw7q0JJmXzM7Fkzhd6MgJp3Y79ut5L6BZqY0edQ5TY50Y9X7dLfSznGSngnxr