914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/7/19 3:30 p.m.

Normally I would not.

Our every day car is a 2009 Jetta 2.5 liter 5spd with lower progressive springs.  Nice car for us, but on a trip form Connecticut to home; we found ourselves surrounded by a canyon of sheet metal.  EVERYONE has an SUV! 

When the Jetta was in the shop for three weeks we got a Ford Escape Titanium, it clicked all the boxes.

Working at a Dealer Only auction site I saw these last week and said Hmmmmm......  Silver 2018 with 40,000miles and a 2010 with 80,000.  Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to find what they went for.

GRM did a review, but I really don't want to spring for newish prices; things to watch for?  Basically a GM something Equinox with chrome?

I like it, but you never know with SWMBO, all it takes is "it's creepy inside" so even free is off the list.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Dan

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
3/7/19 5:00 p.m.

Equinox with chrome, yep.Or shortie Traverse, whatever. I like the earlier ones better. devil

Opti
Opti Dork
3/7/19 5:21 p.m.

I always found the Terrain to be the more handsome of the triplets.

calteg
calteg Dork
3/7/19 5:36 p.m.

I owned one for 3 months. Interior was more cramped than you would expect, didn't seem like it did anything particularly well. Sold it for a decade older GX470 and I've honestly never even thought about the SRX again until this thread.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/7/19 6:52 p.m.

For some reason I was thinking XLR and not some SUV that I've never heard of. Just because everyone else is doing it (driving an SUV) is not really much of a good reason. Didn't your Mom ever tell you about how just because everybody is jumping off a bridge that doesn't make it a good idea?

Get an XLR instead.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
3/7/19 9:58 p.m.

This is anecdotal "information" on the Internet, and ordinarily I wouldn't spread it, but I respect the source.  A lawyer I know has one of these, and it has a bad habit of getting its centralized brain functions (CUE) all screwed up.  The dealer (where he is a good customer) is very apologetic.  Apparently around west-end Toronto there is a techie guy who goes from dealer to dealer doing nothing but fixing/trying to fix this stuff.  It would seem he's got steady work for a while.

NickD
NickD UberDork
3/8/19 5:14 a.m.
Stealthtercel said:

This is anecdotal "information" on the Internet, and ordinarily I wouldn't spread it, but I respect the source.  A lawyer I know has one of these, and it has a bad habit of getting its centralized brain functions (CUE) all screwed up. 

I remember the review from Car & Driver who described the CUE system is "as excellent as herpes," The display screens on them are notorious for delaminating (looks like fine spiderwebbing cracks) and cost absurd amounts of money.

Aspen
Aspen HalfDork
3/8/19 9:46 a.m.

Equinoxii rust baddy around here.  Very poor for newer cars, don't know if the Caddy has the same issue.  IIRC the GM 3.6 has lots of issues and I know for certain that the Haldex AWD system pukes transfer cases and rear diffs.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/8/19 11:22 a.m.

Thanks for the input folks!  While the Caddy is cool looking, we're probably going back to choice #1, the Escape which has gotten good reviews by four owners I know and by magazines.  My son has a Mazda CX5, nice but too big for us (you haven't seen her park).

Dan

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/8/19 11:27 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

If too big, your son might have the CX-9. That one has a 3rd row.  

The Mazda CX-5 is no bigger than the Escape.  The Mazda is nice, but so is the Escape.  

The Escape in top level trim is loaded with lux features but if you want even more lux (all the lux), the Lincoln MKC is an Escape in Lincoln clothing.  

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/8/19 12:29 p.m.
914Driver said:

My son has a Mazda CX5, nice but too big for us (you haven't seen her park).

Dan

And for a small fee we won't tell her you said that... cheeky

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
3/8/19 12:42 p.m.
T.J. said:

Just because everyone else is doing it (driving an SUV) is not really much of a good reason.

I have this theory where sooner or later every single vehicle on the road will be an SUV, and then they'll have to invent some even larger vehicle so people will be able to feel 'safer'.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/19 12:50 p.m.

The newer Escape (Tiatnium package) have automatic parking assist and there's even an ST version for a little oomph/fun. 

I liked the one I had on loan when I had my Focus RS in for service.  Its essentially a larger Focus (same steering wheel, similar dash, etc.) and is a known quantity.  The huge sunroof was a plus as well.

BTW, the CX-5 is within tenths of an inch of the Escape in size in most external dimensions:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/compare?trims=13182-382467_13365-390854

Powar
Powar UltraDork
3/8/19 12:58 p.m.

My mom recently bought a '10 SRX4 Platinum. It seems to be a really nice car, though I've only been in it a couple of times. The 3.6 feels surprisingly strong, and the AWD just hooks up and goes. I think hers predates the dreaded Cue system, but don't quote me on that. Hers is a very pretty 80k mile one-owner example that lived in a garage its entire life and she paid under $13k for it. Not exactly cheap by our standards, but it is a damned nice car for the money.

Opti
Opti Dork
3/10/19 9:04 p.m.
Stealthtercel said:

This is anecdotal "information" on the Internet, and ordinarily I wouldn't spread it, but I respect the source.  A lawyer I know has one of these, and it has a bad habit of getting its centralized brain functions (CUE) all screwed up.  The dealer (where he is a good customer) is very apologetic.  Apparently around west-end Toronto there is a techie guy who goes from dealer to dealer doing nothing but fixing/trying to fix this stuff.  It would seem he's got steady work for a while.

When I was at Ford, there was a guy that did this with Sync. He showed up Monday through Friday and always had work. I was told he serviced most of the DFW area, because non of the techs would touch it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SFQjC8P124vGnqI0UjKinLRMStVUexEXhCnp7YXofmlOow1HNASZKDwRfqlZbqlj