Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
1/18/18 10:36 a.m.

Bear with me as I "bench race" myself for a bit about my current and future car fleet. laugh

In the next couple of years, I'm going to be facing some turnover in our driving fleet. As it stands now, here's what's in the yard:

1979 Pontiac Trans Am: The Trans Am has been with me the longest (since 2002) and I don't mind it staying until it's back on the road. I've come a long way with it, so let's consider that to be a keeper, unless someone offers me the world for it.

2003 Saab 9-5: This got smacked by a pine tree, and it's getting parted out and leaving soon.

1997 Dodge Dakota: The Dakota is not doing well. I got it 6 years ago this spring, and the former owner was going to junk it 6 years ago. I scored it cheap, fixed it up, and have driven it another 20k miles on weekend errands and the occasional trip to work. Now, it's really nearing the end though. It's starting to get rusty, it has an intermittent stalling problem on startup, it needs the power steering system redone (pump, rack, etc), needs shocks, an alignment, and front wheel bearings. I'm assuming it's not going to pass inspection this year., but if it does, this is probably the last year for it.

2010 Mazda 3: The wife's Mazda 3 has some issues. It has body damage from a few accidents that we were putting off repairing until spring (people keep hitting it!) and needs other work, like the neutral safety switch for the 2nd time in 60k miles. It's got over 150k hard miles on it, and I'd really like to replace it. It's paid off. 

2012 Mazda 3: Then, there's my Mazda 3. It's also paid off. It just hit 154k a couple days ago. It's still going strong and has served me well, but has some repairs slated for this year like new suspension all around, brakes, will need a clutch soon, and possibly a water pump/thermostat (I get a whiff of coolant every once in a while). How far will it really go? 

For the wife's next ride, she has been wanting a medium sized AWD crossover SUV with leather seats. This would be our "family" vehicle and dog taxi for the most part. Default choice here is the Mazda CX-5. I know a few people that have them, and they love them. We've had great luck with our Mazdas overall, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. She's driven the Nissan Rogue and hated the CVT, and liked the RAV4 too, but those sell for a premium around here compared to the Mazda. Hyundai/Kia are probably out of the question, as the last Hyundai she had was a turd and she had to fight to get recall work done, which led to her buying her Mazda in the first place. And no German things. She does like Jeeps, and really likes the Wrangler Unlimited, but those are stupid expensive. Not sure what else to consider honestly.

That brings me to my situation. 

My biggest problem is that I am not sure if I want to buy a newer pickup and replace the Mazda AND the Dakota, or find another cheap (possibly cool and old) truck and get a car. I drive about 25k miles a year. Right now, my Mazda with the 2.5L MZR averages about 25-26mpg. Unless I can find a screaming deal on a Ram EcoDiesel (that's not happening), I'm not touching that with a truck. If I do get a truck, a midsize truck would be preferable. A pickup like the Nissan Frontier or Tacoma will get around 21-22 mpg, which isn't bad, but that can add up. Also, trucks are very expensive, and most are out of my price range. I really like the Taco, but they go for all the money. A Frontier with the Pro-4X package would be cool, but that truck is over 10 years into its production cycle. I do like the newly announced Ranger, but am anticipating that they are going to be pricey. Not a huge fan of the Ridgeline. The Colorado/Canyon twins also sell for all the money around here, and I'm not sure if I trust GM enough to buy one. 

If I go the car route, I want something less boring than the Mazda, yet somewhat fuel efficient with decent range. The frontrunner in this scenario is the new Civic Si, which gets well into the 30's MPG-wise and is faster than what I have now. The new Accord Sport also fits the bill. I've also thought about getting a cool, fast highway bomber, like a Charger R/T or something like that. Aside from performance, I want something with creature comforts, a good stereo (with Android Auto and HD Radio if possible) and Bluetooth. The wife wants me to get something with an automatic. I've told her the only way that's happening is if it's a pickup truck or it has a V8 in front of it. cheeky 

When we buy new vehicles, I'd like them to be around $25k or less. Not a fan of the following for daily driver duty:

-Subaru (Bad experiences)

-Hyundai/Kia (Bad experiences)

-GM (with very few exceptions, but I don't trust them)

-Mitsubishi (Are they even still selling vehicles?)

-German stuff (Especially VW/Audi because of bad experiences)

-Nissans with CVT's (Infinitis are ok, as is the Z and trucks)

Anything else we should be looking at that I didn't mention? 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
1/18/18 10:38 a.m.

All the time. Honestly right now I feel like selling everything and just keeping one DD and going nuts on a weekend car. 

It will pass. Though in your case cutting out some of the non working or close to dead stuff would help your sanity and bank account. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
1/18/18 10:50 a.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Yeah, the immediate goal is to part and ditch that Saab. It needs to go. After that, I may fix up the Dakota enough to sell to someone looking for a yard truck or cheap beater. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
1/18/18 11:09 a.m.

Personal opinion. Get rid of the Saab, your wifes 3 and dump the dakota on someone for a winter beater. 

Then find something for the wife and focus on the Trans Am. Three working and running cars that each fill multiple functions is much better then a pile of cars you are keeping held together with bailing wire. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/18 11:15 a.m.

I go through periodic binge and purge cycles with the fleet.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
1/18/18 11:19 a.m.

I've got a non-running VFR that has me seriously irritated regarding my inability to fix, and I'm scared of how much of my own stupidity in that department lead to the non-running situation.  I've got a Suzuki SX4 that I like in some ways (size, styling, general feeling of solidity/quality to the thing) and don't like in others (28mpg mix for a car that size seems low, shift quality of the transmission, garbage electronic throttle "response", not really that comfortable to drive for extended periods).

I sort of wish the VFR would just evaporate and I wish I knew what to replace the SX4 with but not incur an increase in payment costs to my wallet.  So I continue to just exist with both.  VFR exploratory research and what will probably be an annoying and little-noticed thread here where I appeal for help and sanity checks should begin in a month or two.

octavious
octavious Dork
1/18/18 11:21 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Personal opinion. Get rid of the Saab, your wifes 3 and dump the dakota on someone for a winter beater. 

Then find something for the wife and focus on the Trans Am. Three working and running cars that each fill multiple functions is much better then a pile of cars you are keeping held together with bailing wire. 

This is the option I went with. Selling the things being band aided together. New DD family hauler for my wife and kids to use. Funny enough I’m getting her Mazda3 to use as my commuter, and I’m gonna focus on the Porsche that I have let languish the past few years.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/18 11:30 a.m.

I had a bench build thread about pickups a while ago, with the aim of choosing an affordable pickup that can tow 6klbs, not drink all the gas in the world and still get itself out of a wet paper bag offroad, and the D40 Frontier/Navara/Equator came out looking like a very good option, particularly the Pro-4X. Not having changed in ages is bad for a new vehicle but great for a used one.

8valve
8valve New Reader
1/18/18 11:45 a.m.

I realize you've already had your share of Mazdas but for fuel economy the new engines do better than before.  You can do 30mpg in a 3 and 28ish a 6.  On the other hand you can probably score a deal on a Civic Si now that the R has stolen the lime light away from it.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
1/18/18 2:00 p.m.

In reply to 8valve :

The Skyactiv Mazdas get far better gas mileage over the old MZR cars. Both of our cars are MZR cars: hers a 2.0 and mine a 2.5. She gets right around 30 mpg out of hers, while I get 25-26 these days. The problem is, the current Mazda crop just isn't that exciting. 185hp in the 3 or 6 just isn't setting my heart on fire. For the wife, that's fine, but I want MOAR POWER!!! Also, when a 320hp turbo 4 in a Mustang can get 5-6 mpg MORE than my 2.5 while making double the power in a heavier car, it just makes me sad. The move to offer the turbo 2.5 in the new 2018 Mazda 6 is a nice touch, but it's going to go for well above $30k and out of my price range. If I had that type of budget, I can think of a lot of other cars I'd rather have first. 

Speaking of that, it's truly amazing how far the automotive industry has come in just the past 5-6 years. Turbo 4's are everywhere, and a lot of them are making what V8's made 10 years ago, or in some cases, more. When I bought my 3, 165hp in that car was competitive. On paper, it was right there with the Civic Si performance-wise. It bested what came in many of the cars in its class. Now, it's a slow, thirsty slouch.  The new Si is an entire liter smaller and makes 40 more hp while getting 10+ mpg more. Incredible. 

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
1/18/18 2:06 p.m.

I just kinda did this.  Swapped out my '07 KTM 990 for a '15 KTM 1190R and my '06 Cayenne Turbo S for a '15 Cayenne Diesel.  Track car is still my '98 M3, wife's car is an '08 GX470 that just keeps on going.

Really looking forward to not wrenching on anything but the M3.  Once I finish up the off season track prep on it, I really shouldn't have much to do besides oil changes here and there.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/18/18 2:09 p.m.

Someone once told me "you can run away from your problems, but you can't run away from yourself" 
That sounds amazing. I like myself a lot. I just think I'd like myself more with a Lamborghini instead of the yard full of rolling art that I currently have. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/18/18 2:16 p.m.

Binge and purge. 

I'm currently in a Binge phase with a '06 F250 coming tomorrow.

Need to purge.

I think we'll sell my wife's Mazda 5 soon. It no longer has a genuine place in the fleet. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
1/18/18 2:33 p.m.

Have you considered a Charger with a Smythe ute conversion? laugh

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
1/18/18 2:42 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

My wife does really like El Caminos... Also, Smyth Performance is located two towns over from me in lovely Wareham MA, also the hometown of one Tim Suddard. wink

But seriously... although their kit conversions are super cool, one of those would be a big project, and I need something newer and dependable.  When our daily driver fleet goes down, it's going to happen REAL fast. 

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
1/18/18 2:55 p.m.

Much like many others on this forum, I suffer from serious automotive ADD.

I thought leasing cars would allow me to experience enough variety, but I often find myself wanting to swap out for something else 2-3 months after a lease has started. Currently, the only vehicle in my garage that I do not feel compelled to replace is my '17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk.

The BMW lease is up in April, so thankfully I can try something else then. No idea what I'll try...ideas range from Civic Si to E63S...

I love my Cayman, but watch rumors of the 982 Spyder like a hawk...

If it wasn't for my wife, I'd have bankrupted myself longggggg ago. 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
1/18/18 3:18 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Someone once told me "you can run away from your problems, but you can't run away from yourself" 
That sounds amazing. I like myself a lot. I just think I'd like myself more with a Lamborghini instead of the yard full of rolling art that I currently have. 

Try driving some first.  The Gallardo was totally disappointing, I’d rather have my NSX.  The Huracan exceeded my expectations, but that is house sized money.  

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
1/18/18 4:19 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Man you have enough big dollar stuff to do just that. Keep the R63 as the "Reliable" daily and sell the rest and get something nuts. 

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/18/18 4:44 p.m.

I was thinking about this last night.  It wouldn't bother me too much to get rid of everything but the E36 and get myself a lightly used F150 extended cab with the 2.7 Ecoboost and let SWMBO pick out a lightly used sporty coupe...go down from 5 to 3 and only one that needs more than oil changes.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
1/19/18 9:20 a.m.

Having done exactly that - it was totally worth it. Four cars that work properly and one that needs repair at any given time is far better than having a ValuJet fleet of eight.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/18 10:20 a.m.

I'm thinking up the same thing! I moved from California where I had a 3 car garage and a storage unit to Texas where I have a 1.5 car garage and waiting for a storage unit. When I was in California I bought a lot of cars to tinker with and projects. In 2017 I had to sell a few cars because I had nowhere to put them because of my pending move to Texas. I want to simplify things and have everything in a central location again.

Currently I have:

NB Miata half complete in my garage.

7.3 Excursion that I daily.

2013 Fusion that my wife daily.

And for the stupid:

I have a 2000 XJR still in California in storage and a 1987 Conquest I've had FOREVER thats sitting in my friend yard in.....California.

What I want:

This 987.1 Cayman S with a 4.2 and lots of goodies waiting for me to buy, and a new DD for my wife, and to actually finish my Conquest.

The plan: (I think): 

-Get my XJR to Texas, register it, sell it.

-Finish the Miata and DD it.

-Get my Conquest to Texas once I get the 40x20 storage unit I'm on a list for.

-Sell Excursion and 20ft car hauler too. (Wife want to keep trailer but it makes the urge to buy projects harder to resist when a       trailer is just a hookup away)

-Sell Miata

-Buy said Cayman

-Lease my wife a 2.7 or Coyote F150 or diesel Grand Cherokee (she likes both) or find her CPO versions of either.

-Keep the Fusion as my DD when I don't want to drive the Cayman.

-Have Conquest in storage and finish it finally.

Only thing I don't mind on working on is the Conquest and the Cayman here and there.  Plus, my back is making tinkering with cars a lot less enjoyable.

I know I could save massive money keeping her in the paid off Fusion but, I don't like having her in cars out of warranty because then I have to work on it, RIGHT NOW! Plus her being in a car I don't have to worry about while I'm TDY or deployed is super convenient. I've been deployed and all of the cars she could drive decided to take a E36 M3 all at the same time. That became a huge PITD and that's how the Fusion happened. So from now on she'll be in something new-ish that we cycle every few years. 

In the end the fleet would be the wife's dd (that has utility), the fusion (my commuter), the cayman (dream toy), conquest (project). 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
1/19/18 10:12 p.m.

I got it 6 years ago this spring,

I had a 2-second  crisis when i realized i remembered when you first got it and it didn't seem like 6 years ago. LOL 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZnmoHjL7mhoe59VsHGKzHnPoL3eJH8KZbi8C66tN3uqAdQt7tn5CdZQ6kdfRR4QW