David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/24/16 10:58 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/d38A-jh6rKk

On October 22 our editor participated in the Tough Biker’s Race for Time, a bike race through Orlando Fashion Square Mall. Here is some video courtesy of Kyle’s Bike Shop.

Watch more videos

David S. Wallens
10/24/16 11:03 a.m.

And I realize that this has little car content, but haven't we all wished that we could recreate the chase scene from the Blues Brothers?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/IIdGxR-aU6o

java230
java230 Dork
10/24/16 11:09 a.m.

Man that looks like fun! But I was secerately hoping you were on the vintage BMX bike...

David S. Wallens
10/24/16 11:55 a.m.
java230 wrote: Man that looks like fun! But I was secerately hoping you were on the vintage BMX bike...

I know, I came unprepared. Looking back, my 22-inch BMX would have been perfect.

I thought that I was just going to watch and help my friend Chelsea. During dinner we ran into the owner of Kyle's Bike Shop. You're riding, right? he asked. When I started to say that I was just going to watch, he said that after dinner we were visiting his shop so I could grab a loaner. I had never ridden a mountain bike with suspension before. It was cushy.

For kicks Chelsea ran her skatepark/trails BMX bike--not even her race BMX or cyclocross bike.

She set the fastest time overall during the initial runs. The class winners then got an extra run. She wound up second overall, finishing second a pro cyclocross rider.

Fun evening. There's another one planned for December. We'll see what the course designers have planned for that one.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
10/24/16 1:35 p.m.

I stand corrected, there is at least one cool thing that happens in Orlando. I'd pay something approaching real money to that, it looks like a riot. Needs more staircases though.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
10/24/16 1:49 p.m.

I've wished for the power of flight and/or to be able to kill people with mind powers but I can honestly say I've never really wished to race a bicycle through a shopping mall. It seems like a petty way to waste a wish.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k96ppekuxgGFZbIQPBxO4BQ2W2yJcQayOJK36AErrnM5haKptsujFMcnYHupeCbY