Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/15/18 11:41 a.m.

Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

When I started this magazine, I braced myself for a lot of questions like, “Are you crazy?” and “How does one man get that sexy?” The one I got most, though, was completely unexpected: “Aren’t you …

Read the rest of the story

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
3/15/18 12:16 p.m.

I love this article.  I have driven a Vee a couple of times and they do not get the respect they deserve I don't think.  How popular are they in vintage racing these days?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/18 5:40 p.m.

Thanks for sharing. It should be noted that many people would have moved on from that car once it was discovered that the photo was staged. The fact that you take the time to dig deeper and ask the right questions sets GRM and CMS apart from many of your competitors.

Thanks for doing what you do!!!   

te72
te72 New Reader
3/20/18 1:13 a.m.

Absolutely love that GRM is still in publication. My only regret? Not subscribing sooner. Seriously, I'm a lifer, as long as you guys continue to put out in print. =)

On the subject of formula cars, I can't get it out of my head that it would be an awfully fun autocross car... But that involves a tow rig, and I just abhor the idea of driving a truck or van with a trailer on the back any more than I already have over the years. I'd rather drive my car to the track.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/20/18 4:22 a.m.

In reply to te72 :

I just looked up the weight of a formula V without the driver. 825lbs. You'd probably need a custom light trailer, but you could tow a V with something quite a lot smaller than a truck. laugh

As far as the article. Nothing beats two comfy chairs and two cold drinks for teasing a story out of someone. I don't think I've ever met anyone that doesn't have something interesting in their past that's fun to hear about. Keep finding and writing down those stories GRM.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
3/20/18 10:09 a.m.

There used to be a guy that showed up at the runoffs towing his F440 with a X1/9, you wouldn't need a lot.  wink

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
3/20/18 1:28 p.m.

My dad used to tell me, "Everybody knows everything about something.  Even if he's dumb as a box of rocks, you'll be able to learn something from him if you can figure out what it is."

I'm not sure what my point was, there. :)

JimMurphy
JimMurphy New Reader
3/23/18 4:14 p.m.

I have been told by the younger guys (I am 70) that they are not interested in FV's to race because the technology is so old that they don't want to learn it and that the FV's are much slower than the FF's and F5's that run in the same race group at SCCA events.  Now, if the FV's were updated to what is already being run in Formula First cars - FV's with rack/pinion steering, disk brakes, FF tires, 1600cc VW motors and dry sumps, etc., that run much faster lap times then it should be more attractive to the younger drivers.   I hope that it is not too late.

Jim

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jc5kOsk3vEI4idQ6srIFlwsZbWRoKEFQA9JsWw5kAuBfbQtE5yF8v83HYGjUXGwx