RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
11/20/12 5:42 p.m.

Anyone have any experience with the OEM Mitsubishi Evolution III turbocharger? I know the Evo III turbo bolts right onto the 1G DSMs. I'm having a tough time finding an OEM replacement turbo for my 93 Eclipse GSX, but I have seen the Evo III turbos pop up from time to time on my local Craigslist. This car is too tired for me to consider sooping it up but the stock turbo needs to be replaced (broken fin) and I might as well go for what is readily available if I can't find a decent stock piece. 1G automatic and 2G turbos are easier to find in my area but both are smaller than the stock 1G manual turbo.

Do you absolutely have to upgrade the injectors/fuel pump/ECU, or can you get away with running an Evo III with stock fueling/tuning?

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/20/12 6:13 p.m.

I use an EvoIII 16g on my 1g and really like it.

You car is manual right? They have bigger stock injectors vs. automatic... (450cc vs. 390cc I think) in which case there are no other upgrades need to run the bigger 16g turbo. It is a fairly easy bolt on affair with very little downside.

I see 22psi by 3300 rpm and it makes good power up over 6k before it falls off a little.

A simple manual boost controller is a good idea. General rule of thumb is that with a 16g on stock 1G is that 14psi is pretty safe, but the factory boost gauge is just an electronic estimator so be careful!

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
11/20/12 6:40 p.m.

The car came with an Autometer boost gauge already installed. My 1G is manual.

I wouldn't be doing this right away. I just got the bill for having the leaking, well, everything replaced...

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/20/12 7:05 p.m.

yeah, I should read a little before I start typing sounds like you are already good to go.

I hope Doug didn't beat you up too badly, but it sounds like he had quite a few hours in the work.

Two tips for when you get ready to swap turbos:

These cars are old and the exhaust parts get VERY hot, use plenty on penetrating oil and be careful removing bolts.

Also, the "16g" came in several varieties with differing inlet sizes (7cm, 8cm ??) so it might be worth your time to gasket match the outlet of your exhaust manifold if you wind up taking it off. I ported mine in and afternoon in my garage but am not sure it mattered much... but while you are in there...

good luck!

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
11/20/12 7:40 p.m.

It seems like every coolant and oil hard line Doug touched underhood had crumbled to dust (and I believe him). It took him a long time to find some of the replacement parts because they are NLA. The stock exhaust manifold had huge cracks in 5 different places!

Doug was able to find a spare 2G ported manifold (I don't know to what size), so I may be all set to do a swap. I might need to replace a exhaust manifold mounting stud, though. Doug snapped one off and said he would only replace it if it came out easy, otherwise I'm doing it myself. (picking up car tomorrow, haven't seen it yet). He also didn't remove the hot side of the stock turbo, presumably because the studs holding the O2 sensor housing to the downpipe are stuck fast. I might get one of these if I go with a Evo III turbo:

http://www.dsmparts.com/customer/product.php?productid=88

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mEIZ9rZS4yDEyjicN0wazV3YEB5ojU71jlLqjlg7pASv5VAUfAORzfzjKYr4Jzby