Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
2/16/19 3:07 a.m.

So amazingly after flaking on him for I think 2 years, the first thing the guy said to me when I spoke to him was reminding me about his Talon, and telling me I needed to come get it. Now the car seems to be solid enough that a fly(or something) and drive might be an option, or trailering it myself could work. The issue is I feel like my work schedule might get more busy soon and I don't think I'll have time to go get it. So I'm looking at possibly getting it shipped. Car would be going from Schenectady,  New York to Glasgow, Kentucky. I was looking at Uship but was curious if there were any other options.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/19 7:00 a.m.

decent enough company, but be expecting texts and emails for months about it. Last december I was looking at a Saab 9-3 Sportcombi in California. It was  rare six speed turbo. I wanted to get an idea if it was worth flying out and driving back or shipping.

needless to say, I never bought it.

I STILL get texts and emails about shipping it.

imgon
imgon HalfDork
2/16/19 7:56 a.m.

I used them once, and got a bad trucking company. Biggest complaints were terrible communication and inexcusable delays. It took 2 weeks for the car to move 600 miles, fortunately I did not "need" the car so it was just a hasle. When they would return my calls the excuses as to why the car was stuck whenever it was were ridiculous. Again, more on the trucking company,  uship is a broker, they just match you with a truck. I was going for cheapest way to move the car, it might have been a better experience if I had been buying a nicer car and wanted enclosed  transport. I think that tier gets you much better service. Others may have better experiences.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
2/16/19 8:03 a.m.

I had a great experience, it ran me about $1100 from Eugene Oregon to Toledo Ohio for a NON running car. I highlight non because a lot of the companies won’t mess with a car that they can’t drive on and off. Good communication, pretty rapid once he picked it up especially since he ended up getting in a storm over the Rockies that dropped crazy snow and -35 air temp. He sent me pics as he went and overall was a good fit. My experience was with a single guy with a truck and trailer which seems to bring the best results. They live off good feedback so they deliver.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/19 8:14 a.m.

Have a look at my “is this a normal uShip experience” thread (sorry, on my phone so searching for it is painful).

My experience wasn’t exactly great and it sounded like I wasn’t alone in that. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
2/16/19 9:01 a.m.

I've used Uship 3 times.  Twice with my old LS 951 and once for a trailer.  The key is to hire the owner/operator.  If you deal with just a broker, prepared to be unhappy.

I haven't used them since, and I used them several years ago.  I understand it's not as good as it was.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
2/16/19 9:28 a.m.

So it looks like they had a way to have a better chance at getting a better result but they got rid of it. Any other recommendations on where I should look?

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/16/19 9:32 a.m.

Shipping sight unseen from the rust belt sounds.. like it’ll make an interesting story.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
2/16/19 9:36 a.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

Oh this is definitely a bad idea. If I didn't know the owner as well as I do I'd never consider it.

Bubbal
Bubbal GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/16/19 9:46 a.m.

I booked shipment from California to NH on uShip, brokers could not get driver to actually move the car.  Wasted 2 weeks.  Used InterCity which cost $400 more and picked up next day.

You can’t differentiate brokers and owner operators on uShip.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/16/19 9:53 a.m.

I got my Vette shipped a few years back using UShip. I had a good experience, but it could have gone bad in any number of ways if the broker, the seller and the drivers were not good about certain situations.

The broker brought in an open carrier, but when the guy got there he said there was no way he was going to be able to take the Vette. It was too low and his rig would end up damaging it. The broker found an enclosed for more money (honestly I probably should have just gone enclosed in the first place) and the total ended up being about $1100 to ship the car from right outside of Dallas, Texas to Connecticut.

This was the broker I used.

https://www.uship.com/profile/ultraautotransport/

I guess they are suspended from the uship site at this point, doesn't say why.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
2/16/19 10:27 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Shipping sight unseen from the rust belt sounds.. like it’ll make an interesting story.

I kind of did this years ago with a car I bought out of Ohio. Although I at least had some pictures to work with. The car was what I expected when I got it so luckily the seller was pretty honest about the rust issues.

My experience with Uship was good. I dealt with the driver himself and he kept his predicted schedule. If I recall correctly it was $650 to have it shipped. And it was transported inside a regular enclosed semi trailer. 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
2/16/19 1:27 p.m.

I've used U-Ship 4 or 5 times and never had anything but highly positive experiences.  I go for the owner/operators over the big guys, and it's been great.  Heck, one guy literally delivered on Christmas Day.

pirate
pirate Reader
2/16/19 2:51 p.m.

I have used UShip and had a very good experience. The actual company was called Hauling Assets. It was an open single car trailer and guy was a real car guy and treated car as if it were his own. Although multi car trailers are probably cheaper I think there is less risk of damage in or on a single car trailer. These guys typically try to haul in both direction so the longer you have set up a shipment the cheaper it will be. Hauling Assets were a husband wife team where he did the driving and she did the logistics. Great communication before and during transit.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
irf7Mde7IgXZF4RwBUUb3bHdLoxHszWbfBI2f7gcaJEGPuUM6BIOJ2ZvFLh8BjFX