tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/31/11 11:58 a.m.

I am very interested in returning again to the challenge this year, but some pretty harsh health issues have made it clear that I am just not going to be able to do it alone this time...

So, is anyone else in the Boston area interested in forming a team to split up the workload? I am not looking to win any awards, be ultra competitive or reinvent the wheel; I just do not want to miss out on an incredible event. I have a few ideas and am very open-minded to the myriad possibilities that may be.

What I have:

Time - flexible schedule with enough extra to get things done

Money - really, the rules limit this specifically so it can't be too expensive

Space - garage and extra room for parts and wrenching

Intelligence - I can research well and learn anything new quickly

Experience - went twice long ago and I still remember most of last year...

Camera & Web Space - I can take a decent picture and build a modest site

Desire - I am not a quitter; I enjoy being helpful and honor my commitments

What I do not have:

Energy / coordination - I tire very easily and need to take breaks too frequently

Personality - I play well with others but no one would call me the life of a party

Tools - I have just the basic hand tools, and I do mean basic

Expertise - kind of a shade tree, self taught type

A Car - I'm saving my 1g DSM for other stuff; so not an option

Tow Vehicle - never towed a racing car to the track, only towed 'em home

Ebay / Craigslist skills - I just never seem to find the great deals like others do

Driving skills - I am out of practice and have a really crappy nervous system

A Plan - Really, this is the easy / fun part; right?

It seems the the people I already know in the area are busy with other things this year, so I am reaching out to every friend I just haven't met yet. I would happily join an existing team (as long as I can make a meaningful contribution), but there is plenty of time to start from scratch too.

If anyone else out there is in a similar situation, then we should talk about the possibilities...

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
5/31/11 12:23 p.m.

Where are you located? I am on the south shore,and am willing to join you in a quest for challenge domination. I am not the life of the party either,and my skills are lacking when it come to fab,but I am not a quiter,and I know how to spin a wrench pretty well.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/31/11 12:36 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

I am living in west newton, essentially at the intersection of 90 & 95

I think I should host a brainstorming BBQ sometime soon for anyone interested in joining up or even just bench racing...

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
5/31/11 1:12 p.m.

How about the 85 Dodge Omni GLH in the $2011 classifieds right now? It is a former challenge car at a great price,and the project is already started for us. I have a line on a 86 or 87 Dodge Caravan 5 speed for litlle money or maybe even free. We could combine the two,and have one hell of a minivan.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/31/11 1:26 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

I like the way you think

I actually know the seller (problemaddict) well from when I was a turbo dodge guy myself down in philly and have always wanted to do a minivan.

I'm leaving for the hospital now but will only be 1 or two days so hopefully I can monitor this thread and fire off some emails too...

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Reader
5/31/11 1:56 p.m.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to make it to the challenge this year since I’m in a wedding that weekend. Not sure how much free time I’ll have this summer but I’d like to help out if possible. I can weld, paint, and my MacGyver skills are top notch. I’m also familiar with MegaSquirt and have access to a few decent junkyards.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/31/11 2:14 p.m.

In reply to PseudoSport:

First, Have fun at the wedding... but have more fun at the bachelor party first

Second, Thanks for the offer to pitch in where you can, I can certainly see paint help and possibly megasquirt in the future... and I'll probably need to borrow your engine hoist again some day...

I will be sure to keep you in the loop on any developments

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
5/31/11 2:23 p.m.

Good luck guys. If you can squeeze them on, I have a set of 13" Kumho slicks I'll sell real cheap for your effort.

I'm in CT and would deliver.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
5/31/11 2:27 p.m.
PseudoSport wrote: Unfortunately I won’t be able to make it to the challenge this year since I’m in a wedding that weekend. Not sure how much free time I’ll have this summer but I’d like to help out if possible. I can weld, paint, and my MacGyver skills are top notch. I’m also familiar with MegaSquirt and have access to a few decent junkyards.

Yeah, sorry about that.

We will be back in action for $2012 though, and possibly with a Turbo Dodge, if it doesn't crumble into the Earth by then.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/16/11 7:15 a.m.

Still looking...

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy HalfDork
6/16/11 8:10 a.m.

Possible. I was part of the SPOC NE team in 2004. I just moved to Berlin, MA, so I'm nearby. I have no idea if I can actually go to the Challenge, but I enjoyed the previous project, and it would be fun to help with another at least a little bit. Due to my living situation I'm down to one car, and it's over budget (but at least it's a Miata )

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/11 8:46 a.m.

I would be interested in helping. I have tools. I am elbow's deep in a ms project and the moment. I have been involved with racing for more than 20 years. I don't know about the trek to FLA (family and work always seem t get in the way) but building the car is where I get the most satisfaction anyway.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/16/11 9:55 a.m.

I really appreciate all of the offers of help with getting a car ready for the challenge and I will not hesitate to call on you all if and when the need arises.

Currently I am very much looking for someone who can commit to going through with the whole deal from start to finish. I can manage most things by myself but need help with the more involved bits and am trying to economize by splitting all the associated costs with others.

I am still actively shopping for a car and trying to make plans with one forum regular, but at this point I might just fly down to spectate...

dean1484
6/17/11 7:03 a.m.

Hay Have you ever considered "team manager" as a calling. Between all the people that have responded I bet we could build a car in a weekend!!!!

Anyway my offer stands. Need an extra set of hands let me know.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Dork
6/20/11 10:07 a.m.

No time or space to help now but if you guys do it and use 13 inch tires I've got 4 NIB treaded Hoosier TD's 23.5 roll outs i think..... I also have sorces for worn 235/60/13 American racer tires that are DOT stamped.

I can bring them as far east as Lexington.

Josh
Josh Dork
6/20/11 11:23 a.m.

I'd love to help but I'm probably a bit too far north to be useful (southern Maine). Living in this area is kind of a bummer for stuff like this, it seems like all of the car guys I know are either an hour north of me or an hour south, so I end up wrenching alone.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/28/11 7:09 p.m.

At the moment my most pressing need is for a tow rig to move a car 50 miles from central MA to the Boston suburbs asap... anyone for hire at challenge friendly prices?

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Dork
6/29/11 6:30 a.m.

Dam.. My enclosed hauler's got a snaped axle. But might have be able to grab my old open trailer from the kid i sold it to if the kabotas not on it... PM me with where it's going to go.

dean1484
6/29/11 10:05 a.m.

I have a truck and U hall trailers are cheep. I may be able to borough a trailer but this would have to wait till the weekend

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Reader
6/29/11 10:10 a.m.

If you rent a trailer I can tow it with my truck but my only free time is Saturday morning.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/29/11 10:30 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

First, Happy Birthday!

Thanks for the offer, I have a lot of coals in the fire at the moment and hopefully something will catch... I will be sure to be in touch if there is anything you can help with

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/29/11 10:33 a.m.

In reply to PseudoSport:

Thanks for the offer. This might have to happen somehow if I cannot work out another deal before then. I probably already owe you one or two favors, but I make good on my debts so we could just add this to the tab...

dean1484
6/29/11 1:11 p.m.
tb wrote: In reply to dean1484: First, Happy Birthday!

Thanks!!!!!! Going home early to burn something on the grill and have a couple cold ones!!!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
6/29/11 2:31 p.m.

I don't have much money right now but I'm pretty handy with a wrench and I have a LOT of motorsports connections.

Located in Lowell.

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
6/30/11 3:40 p.m.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty. I'd have to look into the schedule for the challenge and my schedule later this year, though. Also if I can fit this into the schedule I have a sortof tow vehicle. I'm in dorchester (moving to quincy soon)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P7HQKL9O87rcVDffj0fHAiM6r7JyV1gP4RCdYJcaH7H5PVju0Sm8X0W9wbkJ39Bq